The next racist flag of hate we need to take down: POW/MIA?!

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by jackietreehorn8, Aug 13, 2015.

1. jackietreehorn8

jackietreehorn8 fine

Yes, that's Rick Perlstein of Newsweek's opinion:

http://www.newsweek.com/its-time-haul-down-another-flag-racist-hate-361929

Cliffs:

It's a Vietnam Era flag that paints America/Americans as the victims of a war we were the aggressors in, and in terms of the list of victims of that war, it's not us that deserves sympathy. He really doesn't explain why he thinks it's particularly racist, but spends a lot of time explaining why he thinks it's unnecessary, dishonest, and distorts what actually happened in that war.

2. AkaiJiisu

AkaiJiisu Green Belt

He's an idiot. The flag is not about ideals, its about people. Does he forget that the draft was active during this time?

3. JDragon

JDragon DOX News Anchor

The author is right, and the framing of the South including the US being the aggressors is also not wrong. Often, it was rice farmers vs US soldiers. At least that is how the majority of people outside the US saw it.

That being said, racist? No idea.

4. jackietreehorn8

jackietreehorn8 fine

The only thing I could think of is, people see that flag (probably older folks) and get internally riled up about "g00ks." Many people lost friends in that war and I suppose it could be a reminder of who took their friends' lives.

The author didn't spell it out like that though...so I'm assuming the racist bit was just thrown in the headline to get clicks on the article, which probably wouldn't have gotten any views if it was just another article about the Vietnam War.

5. Dolomite

Dolomite Red Belt

Always nice to see people still freaking out about -

NIIIIIIIXOOOOON!!!

And why would Chuck Norris make all of those POW/MIA movies?

6. LogicalInsanity

LogicalInsanity Free RR! Belt

I can definitely see how one would interpret the flag that way if you only applied it to the Vietnam war.

but I never associated the flag with solely the Vietnam war.

I always associated it with all the wars that American troops didn't come home.

7. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

While the story of American POWs is extremely interesting (mostly about how they were manipulated for political purposes and how many of them came to sympathize with the Vietnamese, read Perlstein's awesome book on Reagan for more info), I don't think the flag needs to come down. I doubt there are any POWs in Vietnam anymore, but the flag is more of a symbol of concern for the plight of servicemen than anything else at this point. I think a lot of older people fly it as a memorial as well to servicemen they knew who died in 'Nam. There's nothing wrong with honoring rank and file soldiers even if the war they fought in was immoral. It's not their decision what wars they fight in, especially given the draft for Vietnam. They're just doing their duty to our nation.

So yes, POWs were used politically in some sordid ways, but I don't think that's what the flag symbolizes for most people who fly it and unlike something like the Confederate flag I don't think there's some undeniably negative symbolism to it.

8. oldshadow

oldshadow Steel Belt

I think Jonny Cash said it best.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  9. El Chimpo

El Chimpo Cruel Man Platinum Member

Guy is a full blown retard

10. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

wtf

My old man fought in nam' and did 3 years in a communist "re-education camp", most Vietnamese folks living in western countries are from the South and are usually pretty grateful about America's intervention of the war during the time, some are still pretty salty about what happened then.

This whole self-apologist thing is actually pissing off more folks than they think they're helping out.

11. lfd0311

lfd0311 Gold Belt

He's a Liberal Elitist psuedo-intellectual, are you suprised?

12. IIIIIIII

IIIIIIII Titanium Belt

isn't the flag to remember those who died and were never found or were never accounted for?

pow-mia does stand for, "prisoners of war - missing in action" is it not?

13. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

The author is a whiny little bitch. The flag honors those that have been captured / never recovered, nothing more.

14. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

correct. The author didn't even explain how it's "racist", but instead went on a lengthy diatribe about Nixon.

15. Orange Juice

Orange Juice lächelnd

No it shouldn't be taken down. Seems we are becoming very petty.

16. Thunderflash500

Thunderflash500 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I recently watched a show on Vietnam. I never knew we won essentially every battle. We could have destroyed their strongholds in other countries. We just never wanted to follow through. The Vietnamese were hilarious though. They nearly never engaged in a fill battle. Always surprise attaching. Then they make a peace treaty with the U.S. The U.S leaves, and they start attaching with conventional warfare lol. They had the will to win. And just a fantastic long term strategy.

17. JDragon

JDragon DOX News Anchor

Looking at the Indochina and Vietnam wars, and both Afghanistan wars, it's pretty clear that you cannot really win as a regular army in an asymmetric setting and difficult landscape / environment.

18. 2GunTommy

2GunTommy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

More Historical revisionism by far left liberal fuqs in their constant attempt to demonize America. Once again using the word "racist" where it doesnt apply at all. I think its their favorite word. Pretty soon they will be talking like smurfs, only instead of using the word smurf universally they will use the word racist. The same people who are trying to trash our founding fathers in the bullshit new school curriculum. "They werent great men who founded our country, they were a bunch of white racist men" Its disgusting and traitorous.

"This was bullshit four times over: first, because in every other conflict in human history, the release of prisoners had been something settled at the close of a war; second, because these prisoners only existed because of America

19. jackietreehorn8

jackietreehorn8 fine

Wow, interesting little afternote from the author and editor that were not there when I originally read the article and made this thread...

Now it makes ME look like a jag for using the word racist in the thread title...I was just copying the headline of the article at the time.

20. 2GunTommy

2GunTommy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

It doesnt make you look like anything. This is a half ass bullshit apology. He did not "accidentally" use the word. He didnt temporarily forget the words meaning. He used the word to get a reaction and get people to feel a certain way. He knew exactly what he was doing. Manipulating people to agree with him by using a trigger word. The only reason he is apologizing is because he was pressured to by his editor most likely and he got more of a negative response than he expected. He pushed his agenda a litle too far and got caught.