The Next Hype Train to Derail?

Why do guys who string together some wins have to be a hypetrain? Then when they lose it gets derailed? Why can't they just be really good fighters who took an honest lost?? I dont understand you guys.

Why do guys who string together some wins have to be a hypetrain? Then when they lose it gets derailed? Why can't they just be really good fighters who took an honest lost?? I dont understand you guys.

Yeah, I feel you there. That's just the way it has always been apparently.

Glover, as soon as he fights a notable fighter.

Aldo too, Frankie's going to win a very lopsided decision.

Seriously?!
You cannot call the UFC FW champ hyped and discredit a title and whole division. Whether he's the best at that div or not (and he is!) that is not what this post was about. He has been proven. Mendez fight alone did that, if not his career up to that point!

Problem with posts like this is the trolls come out the woodwork.

I'd like the Weidman hype end, or better yet see Weidman fulfil it.

I'd agree with Texiera and Cormier...

Texiera has looked good but against mediocre competition, and he kinda strikes me as one of those fighters who can slaughter lower level guys but can't quite hang with the upper level guys.

Cormier has looked very impressive so far, but he is really, really short for a heavyweight at 5'11" (the shortest HW that I'm aware of). It hasn't been an issue so far in his career, but I have this feeling that at some point he's gonna have trouble dealing with a fighter that knows how to exploit their reach advantage. Hard to say though, he has looked great so far and beaten guys that were much taller than him.

It's amazing how hype comes and goes... Just a few weeks ago, before the fight there were tons of posts/threads on here about how JDS was going to be the GOAT. Same with Machida, people were saying he was unbeatable. I guess everyone is unbeatable until they get beaten.

Pretty munch. Only on Sherdog though.

i'd agree with texiera and cormier...

Texiera has looked good but against mediocre competition, and he kinda strikes me as one of those fighters who can slaughter lower level guys but can't quite hang with the upper level guys.

Cormier has looked very impressive so far, but he is really, really short for a heavyweight at 5'11" (the shortest hw that i'm aware of). It hasn't been an issue so far in his career, but i have this feeling that at some point he's gonna have trouble dealing with a fighter that knows how to exploit their reach advantage. Hard to say though, he has looked great so far and beaten guys that were much taller than him.

It's amazing how hype comes and goes... Just a few weeks ago, before the fight there were tons of posts/threads on here about how jds was going to be the goat. Same with machida, people were saying he was unbeatable. I guess everyone is unbeatable until they get beaten.

qft

I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

please look up hype in the dictionary. i also posted the definition on the original post. i am strictly talking about the fighters who people believe are the best in the world right now, that may not deserve that sort of accreditation... i am not hating on any fighter i am not saying they do not merit their top 10 rank. please look up the definition of the word in the OP before you group me with the people that misuse the word.

For those of you that can't seem to wrap your mind around the definition of hype....
hype
/hīp/
Noun
Extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion.

Who do you think may be the next hype train to get derailed?
I think there's a possibility Glover Teixeira's career could stall, maybe Weidman's, or Daniel Cormier's.
Who's hype train do you think is next?

331qakz.jpg

Cormier does leave himself open in the striking game, although he can definitely punish people on their feet.

ogmcn6.jpg

Teixeira appears open to a good wrestler who has a heavy chin. would love to see him fight hendo.

ou5zkm.jpg

Weidman sometimes loses focus although he's very dominant. Would a more skilled striker be able to take advantage? I think Bisping would be a great match (ducks head from Bisping haters throwing things)

To be honest i wouldnt consider DC or weidman hype. Glover i would because he doesnt have any top wins. Where as cormier has beaten 2 top 10 guys in his last 2 fights. Weidman beat a former top 10 in maia and a top 10 in munoz so weidman and cormier are legit not hype.

im going to go with Weidman ( since i feel he is WAY over hyped) but if he can get 2 more solid wins against the Bisping vs Belfort winner and another top 10 guy ( maybe Okami ) i will feel like his hype is warranted. not saying he is a bad fighter but people are saying Anderson is scared of him, so he has to prove a lot to warrant that type of hype.

I remember when Melvin Guillard and George Sotiropolous were the next LW champions, Tito Ortiz was getting his belt back, Erick Silva was the man to beat GSP and of course HOUSTON ALEXANDER IS FOR REAL!!!!!!!

I remember when Melvin Guillard and George Sotiropolous were the next LW champions, Tito Ortiz was getting his belt back, Erick Silva was the man to beat GSP and of course HOUSTON ALEXANDER IS FOR REAL!!!!!!!

Yea, if you make someone fight 8 times before talking about a title shot, not many fighters would be around for their shot after that either.

Seriously?!
You cannot call the UFC FW champ hyped and discredit a title and whole division. Whether he's the best at that div or not (and he is!) that is not what this post was about. He has been proven. Mendez fight alone did that, if not his career up to that point!

Problem with posts like this is the trolls come out the woodwork.

I'd like the Weidman hype end, or better yet see Weidman fulfil it.

Many people think Aldo is unbeatable. I shit you not I have read people agreeing with each other that Aldo would beat GSP. Many people think Aldo could clean out the 155 division if he chose to. To claim that there isn't a degree of ridiculous hype behind Aldo is absurd.

But don't let me stop you from falsely writing me off as a troll, that is the easy way out of supporting an argument after all.

Rory Mac - wait until he fights people of top competition and not dance around LW's

Costa Philapou - gets one big win against a mediocre mw and all of the sudden he should face Silva? Give him Bisping and Bisping would demolish him

WMMA - Out of the UFC by Dec 2013, 2014 at the latest. They'll probably get their own promotion under Zuffa

Benson Henderson - Melendez is coming for your belt! Cesar Gracie out for revenge!

Rory Mac - wait until he fights people of top competition and not dance around LW's

Costa Philapou - gets one big win against a mediocre mw and all of the sudden he should face Silva? Give him Bisping and Bisping would demolish him

WMMA - Out of the UFC by Dec 2013, 2014 at the latest. They'll probably get their own promotion under Zuffa

Benson Henderson - Melendez is coming for your belt! Cesar Gracie out for revenge!

Lol. No. Josh Thomson beat Melendez in their rubber match. Bendo will mop the floor with him. And I will lol at you.

Back