The New Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts (2017)

Very interesting. I like how they are now judging grappling & striking BEFORE aggression and octagon control. I believe this will even the playing field for counter fighters.

And the problem it's trying to fix could be resolved without the rule

d7ArXZk.jpg

It's like the UFC just refuse to admit their glove design is inferior to their former competitor's.
Yeah I think they should at least trial those gloves, see what the stats for eye pokes look like after 12 months and go from there.

I hate it with a passion. It's already made for ridiculous scores. Over three rounds if they give a liberal 1st round 10-8 and then a clear 10-9 for two rounds you'll have bad draw decisions. It doesn't work over 3 rounds. Either keep 10-9 or got to scoring the full fight.

10-8 should be the norm. 10-9 close, 10-7 the current 10-8.

Thats a stupid rule because lots of fighters use extended fingers to measure the distance.

Use an extended fist.

Eyepokes are fucked and this is not even worthy of debate as the solutions drawbacks are so minor.

It's going to lead to a lot of fucked up decisions. A 10-8 should be a very rare thing indeed.

I disagree. When almost everything is scored 10-9, then having a very tiny edge is scored the same as having a dominating round. I think THAT leads to a lot of fucked up decisions.

the big changes are scoring criteria, allowing heel kicks to kidneys, disallowing extended fingers Jon Jones style and only allowing fighters with all 4 limbs on the ground (if they don't have their torso/hips grounded) to count as grounded.
They need to allow upkicks to a grounded opponent. That is one of the worst rules in MMA.
The new unified rules imply that the fighter on top must have both hands and knees on the ground to be counted as 'grounded'. I don't know what the current rules are for upkicks.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/2...-changes-to-mma-scoring-criteria-new-rules-in

Good:
- Less eye pokes
- Grounded opponent is
- Ground stomps to the hand
- Impact (effectively, damage) is considered
- Judging criteria:"Its not a game of numbers"
- Judging criteria: "Who is doing the things that are going to end the fight"
- Judging criteria: "octagon control" vastly diminished
- Heel kicks to the kidneys (I've been asking this for YEARS - more tools to allow the fighter on the back to be offensive, damaging and attacking)

Bad:
- We still have rounds
- Still no knees to the head at any time (a version of the grounded rule still applies)

Undecided:
- 10-8's and 10-9's might be quite varies with the 'Three-D's' concept, basically they should look at this concept, but do away with rounds, then we're almost getting to a really great judging criteria.

Generally, these changes have my approval, for sure. Basically, a lot of this is extending or aligning to what the Pride criteria was. Aligning better to the SPIRIT of fighting.

Miscellaneous:
As a result from this, it will be cool if someone takes side/back control or front sprawl, still whilst a person is standing, but unpins one arm from the mat, like attempting a kimura, or in an attempt to control them, so only one hand is touching, but then soccer kicks or knees their opponent to the head - that seems to be a possibility with these new 'downed opponent' interpretation?

Finally, I might be able to change my sig after all these years!

This isn't a popular opinion but I agree
Flip a coin to pick a winner like some judges used to do is just stupid

One knee stills is a grounded opponent. They need the pride "four points position". Otherwise, just cause a guy is on one knee or on his butt he said you can't kick them to the head.

When will we get to see some Randleman-esq, knees to the head of a downed opponent?
2cmn8cn.jpg

Yeah I think they should at least trial those gloves, see what the stats for eye pokes look like after 12 months and go from there.

I'm not sure how much that glove affects the grappling portion of the fight, IMO that could be the reason

I'm not sure how much that glove affects the grappling portion of the fight, IMO that could be the reason

w9xy7o.jpg

Its completely naked on the palms, only the finger joints have straps.

Then compare the ufc gloves

51NTnOD6JvL._SY300_.jpg

Th

Good to see the bullshit "octagon control" criteria be relegated to almost nothing. Still think the grounded fighter rule could use some work, but it's a start.

-----------------------
The ring control rule was always relegated way down, AFTER aggression, which was AFTER effective striking/grappling. I think all they are doing here is making that more clear for the viewer. Referees already got this.

How would you make the grounded fighter rule better?

I read they're going to be a lot more liberal with 10-8s. I'm not liking that on paper.
I'm not sure it is so much 'liberal' as clearer. Some judges don't want to be the only ones giving a 10-8 even when there was clear domination for a large part of a round or when there is significant damage from one fighter for a long time. So the new criteria make it clearer for judges to open the door for 10-8s. 10-9s are most common but the range between a close 10-9 and a not-so-close 10-9 (almost a 10-8) is a challenge too.

Back