The New Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts (2017)

Cliffs (about point deductions)

Talked about the Kalib Starnes incident, and when he feels it would be necessary to deduct points for refusing to engage while actively moving away from an opponent. He referenced a couple of fights he saw this year where he felt he would've taken points away. McGregor against Diaz, Woodley against Thompson and Jouban against Perry.

Sounds good in theory with the judging criteria but I am almost positive nobody is going to change the way they judge based on this

As far as I can tell nobody is ever held accountable for bad decisions or asked to explain why they scored it the way they did, they just kinda do what they want.

tbh id rather see draws than someone getting a decision win in a fight that has no clear winner, also thank god for the anti eyepoke rules and the bitch ass hand on the mat=downed opponent shit

This isn't a popular opinion but I agree
Flip a coin to pick a winner like some judges used to do is just stupid

I agree, I was pulling for Thompson, but it was clear that Woodley beat him up, he just didn't do enough it according to how it was being scored at the time.

There's still a lot of gray area, McCarthy used the phrase, "LIKE three-and-a-half minutes" when talking about dominating a round. What does "like" mean? Is that three minutes? Three minutes, fifteen seconds? He wasn't absolutely clear, and still left a lot of wiggle room for shenanigans, but it's a step in the right direction.

Another thing, most of the time, it's easy to see who's winning the stand-up battle, but it isn't always so clear on the ground. I wonder if grapplers/wrestlers find it more difficult to get 10-8s, as opposed to strikers. All-in-all, I'm excited for the changes, especially the eye pokes. They've screwed up way too many good fights over the past five years, it's time to outlaw those for good.

Agreed, there is still a lot of grey area. That's why as I discussed earlier I would like judges to have general conventions and be constantly discussing the criteria to nail it down. But it's MMA, there will never be a perfect system, it's too chaotic and varied a sport. Judging reform will always be about being slightly better than before, not about achieving perfection.

I think that shouldn't be faul but the moment fighter grabs the fence with his fighers to stop a TD or uses it to improve his position in any way instant point deduction. That way guys will see it's dangerous to play with that fire and just keep their fingers on the fence, not putting them through.

I think the wording I mentioned above fits this quite well.

Sounds good in theory with the judging criteria but I am almost positive nobody is going to change the way they judge based on this

As far as I can tell nobody is ever held accountable for bad decisions or asked to explain why they scored it the way they did, they just kinda do what they want.

Pretty sure the judges answer to their athletic commissions. Now, some of those same commissions have poor reputations, but there is a system in place to hold them accountable, it's just done behind closed doors and isn't discussed with the media.

Pretty sure the judges answer to their athletic commissions. Now, some of those same commissions have poor reputations, but there is a system in place to hold them accountable, it's just done behind closed doors and isn't discussed with the media.

I would like these discussions or at least a prepared statement to be released to the fans on a regular basis.

Then how is it judges have terrible scorecards that don't make any sense, never explain them and are back out there again next event doing the same thing

I really don't think the commissions ever question them on why they score a fight the way they do. It is a weird thing because if someone is competent you almost shouldn't ever question them, the point of the judge is to give his opinion of course. But some people really need to lose their jobs when they give 30-27 in fights where each fighter CLEARLY won a round

I would like these discussions or at least a prepared statement to be released to the fans on a regular basis.

None of the major organizations release that information. The only time they do is when a ref or entire crew gets suspended, but none release basic reprimands. I agree though, I wish all of the sports organizations were more transparent with their reffing/judging.

Then how is it judges have terrible scorecards that don't make any sense, never explain them and are back out there again next event doing the same thing

I really don't think the commissions ever question them on why they score a fight the way they do. It is a weird thing because if someone is competent you almost shouldn't ever question them, the point of the judge is to give his opinion of course. But some people really need to lose their jobs when they give 30-27 in fights where each fighter CLEARLY won a round

I can't answer any of that, the commissions don't release any of that information to the public. I'm not sure that judges are sent back right away after controversial decisions. Do you have any specific examples? I don't keep up with them unless something weird happens.

Lets see how long the new rules actually hold up

Man, Demian Maia gunna be getting 10-8's for fun under the new rules.

It's going to lead to a lot of fucked up decisions. A 10-8 should be a very rare thing indeed.

I disagree. I believe it should be rare, but not exceedingly so. It shouldn't be so rare that judges feel pressured not to use it in the first place. You shouldn't have to do what Maynard did to Frankie in the first round to get one.

Is this ok again please?

joesonballs.gif

Bisping and Diego Sanchez are fucked.

15 minutes went by in a blink.

always a pleasure to listen to Big John explain things. Great implementations for the sport.

wow, every single thing was an improvement....how rare is that?
great on the damn fingers out shit

Having 5 judges might be a decent idea. The scores these judges come up with are all over the place sometimes.

I agree that Hopefully they do something with the grounded opponent rule, it is very frustrating to watch fighters put one hand down to avoid strikes
It's not the quantity that matters, it's the quality

Back