The New Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts (2017)

cuz a draw is like kissing your sister.
The 10-8 rules didn't really change though, they just got clearer. The better judges were already doing everything that's mapped in the new language, this just makes it less subjective
We don't get that many draws in three round MMA now, and when we do it's pretty much deserved. You don't get to win if you almost get finished/dominated for a round in a three round fight. And you don't get to win if you dominated a single round but lose the next two. A draw is fine. It happens.
If you're a fighter and you don't want to fight to a draw, be better than the other guy.

Thats a stupid rule because lots of fighters use extended fingers to measure the distance.
And the problem it's trying to fix could be resolved without the rule

d7ArXZk.jpg

It's like the UFC just refuse to admit their glove design is inferior to their former competitor's.

I don't understand the bolded argument
If it leads to draws, but is correctly scored how is it a "bad draw decision".

I understand the second part, but with three rounds aka 15 minutes we already get goofy scores round by round. Do you really trust judges to score a 15 minute fight properly as a whole? Let alone a 25 minute one?

I don't mind draws. It just has to be a clear 10-8. It's when those are too loose it gets unjust gaps imo. The 10-8 will be the new 10-9 but with no way to come back. For example right now to get a 10-8 you need to get whooped pretty badly. That's clear over a 10-9. But how bad will someone have to get beat up to get to a 10-7 now??? If it's gets to that gap the fight is a over after 1 round. If Gray and Frankie were scored with this and it was 3 rounds it would be a 10-7 imo. If Frankie then cleary wins two rounds but doesn't do tons of damage, he still loses the fight based off of one round.

That will be a rare example but everything just will be pushed back now. There will be big 10-8's and small 10-8's. The small ones will give headaches to judging imo.

I don't mind draws. It just has to be a clear 10-8. It's when those are too loose it gets unjust gaps imo. The 10-8 will be the new 10-9 but with no way to come back. For example right now to get a 10-8 you need to get whooped pretty badly. That's clear over a 10-9. But how bad will someone have to get beat up to get to a 10-7 now??? If it's gets to that gap the fight is a over after 1 round. If Gray and Frankie were scored with this and it was 3 rounds it would be a 10-7 imo. If Frankie then cleary wins two rounds but doesn't do tons of damage, he still loses the fight based off of one round.

That will be a rare example but everything just will be pushed back now. There will be big 10-8's and small 10-8's. The small ones will give headaches to judging imo.

But the way that 10-8s are judged hasn't changed, not really. It's going to be more liberal because the language is clearer. Like what would be a "small 10-8" that you're describing here

And if you get beat up badly enough in a single round to deserve a 10-7 (which will probably never happen again in MMA) without being finished, you deserve to lose because the fight probably should have been stopped.

I love all of the new changes, especially the emphasis on more 10-8 rounds. TBF I don't think draws are neccessarily bad things.

You say there is no way to come back from a 10-8? Well there is, the losing fighter has to dominate a round and get his own 10-8 back. I think that's great.

Too many times we've seen a fighter get dropped, hurt and controlled for the opening 5 minutes, only to come back and barely squeak out the next two rounds without inflicting any real meaningful damage or control. I'd rather see a draw in this case than giving a win to a fighter who was dropped, rocked and hurt, and who never actually hurt his opponent.

I hate it with a passion. It's already made for ridiculous scores. Over three rounds if they give a liberal 1st round 10-8 and then a clear 10-9 for two rounds you'll have bad draw decisions. It doesn't work over 3 rounds. Either keep 10-9 or got to scoring the full fight.

On the more positive side. It will push the losing fighter to finish the fight instead of trying to catch up on tag you're it points.

I love all of the new changes, especially the emphasis on more 10-8 rounds. TBF I don't think draws are neccessarily bad things.

You say there is no way to come back from a 10-8? Well there is, the losing fighter has to dominate a round and get his own 10-8 back. I think that's great.

Too many times we've seen a fighter get dropped, hurt and controlled for the opening 5 minutes, only to come back and barely squeak out the next two rounds without inflicting any real meaningful damage or control. I'd rather see a draw in this case than giving a win to a fighter who was dropped, rocked and hurt, and who never actually hurt his opponent.

I picture a 10-8 round being Rd1 in Mcgregor Diaz 2. A 10-7 would necessitate something rare and ridiculous like the opening rounds in the Edgar Maynard bouts.

Infinitely this. I understand it's a sport but let's not forget it started from martial arts competition. Us trying to be like boxing was one of the worst things that could have happened to our sport. Mma is unique in its own way. It's as "real as it legally" gets.

Watching warriors duke it out would garner more fans than and bring out better fighters instead of better "athletes" who are apparently so above and beyond even TRYING to finish their opponent, that they resort to taking the fights to the score card on purpose.

Guys shouldn't grab the fence already yet refs (especially retard Herb Dean) let them grab it few times without taking a point.

Biggest thing that will change everything is no warning, if you make a foul then you lose a point. No warnings, you were already warned by the ref before the fight. That is all the warning you need.

Last edited:
On the more positive side. It will push the losing fighter to finish the fight instead of trying to catch up on tag you're it points.

Yeah it can be fun for us. But imo fighters always think they're winning. lol. As for guys just needing to come back and have a big round, it sounds good but it's just not something everyone can do.

I think the Bisping vs Silva fight is one that comes to mind recently that if we were all watching with these new rules would one with some controversy. I also saw a lot of people using completely different scoring that was all over the place in the Benson Henderson vs Michael Chandler fight. A lot of people didn't agree on round scores.

I think most of the time the judges do pretty well in the big picutre. But i also think they should watch on monitors. I think a lot of them do quite poorly trying to watch live fights because they see things being thrown but not always what lands due to a blocked view.

Guys should grab the fence already yet refs (especially retard Herb Dean) let them grab it few times without taking a point.

Biggest thing that will change everything is no warning, if you make a faul then you lose a point. No warnings, you were already warned by the ref before the fight. That is all warning you need.

Was there clarification on the fence grabs? If so I missed it. I agree that is something that needs to be implemented but I think mandatory fouls are a dangerous choice. I think the wording should be something along the lines of mandatory if it impacts position.

I'm just envisioning a fighters fingers going into the fence and fans and coaches causing a big stir about there should have been a point deduction when in reality it did nothing to change the fight. Now if a fighter grabs the fence a la Aldo/Mendes where it clearly prevented, or aided in securing a takedown or submission then that is an immediate and mandatory point deduction, no warnings. Obviously there is still some referee judgment required here but that is what we pay them for.

Yeah it can be fun for us. But imo fighters always think they're winning. lol. As for guys just needing to come back and have a big round, it sounds good but it's just not something everyone can do.

I think the Bisping vs Silva fight is one that comes to mind recently that if we were all watching with these new rules would one with some controversy. I also saw a lot of people using completely different scoring that was all over the place in the Benson Henderson vs Michael Chandler fight. A lot of people didn't agree on round scores.

I think most of the time the judges do pretty well in the big picutre. But i also think they should watch on monitors. I think a lot of them do quite poorly trying to watch live fights because they see things being thrown but not always what lands due to a blocked view.

Some disparity in judging should be expected during transitional periods between large-scale criteria changes such as these. I would expect more consistency as time goes on.

One thing I would like implemented is judging reviews and conference discussions to help everyone get on the same page. I'm not sure to what degree that sort of thing goes on at the moment.

The rules change... and the corner has to change too.

No more

"You did good this round, but the next one... do better okay? You got this!!!"

It's gonna have to be.

"You definitely lost this round and you're behind. Really take it to him, don't let it go to the judges "

Yeah Yeah I know positive reinforcement and blah blah blah, I competed in ammy mma fights and my coach told me I lost the first two, I pushed the pace and finished it in the third instead of playing it safe like I would have done without him having told me what I didn't feel. (You're right about fighters believing they're always winning)

I wasn't bothered, didn't lose confidence, made a more entertaining fight for the audience, and won by tko instead.

I'm sure if I can react okay to being told I lost the first two. So can the pros who do it for a living.

Some disparity in judging should be expected during transitional periods between large-scale criteria changes such as these. I would expect more consistency as time goes on.

One thing I would like implemented is judging reviews and conference discussions to help everyone get on the same page. I'm not sure to what degree that sort of thing goes on at the moment.

I would love to see post fight interviewing of judges by the media be made mandatory. There's a few big fights where you never get to hear anything.

They should ban all forms of grappling

and get rid of the illegal 12-6 elbow. lol

But the way that 10-8s are judged hasn't changed, not really. It's going to be more liberal because the language is clearer. Like what would be a "small 10-8" that you're describing here

And if you get beat up badly enough in a single round to deserve a 10-7 (which will probably never happen again in MMA) without being finished, you deserve to lose because the fight probably should have been stopped.

The only time I remember thinking I seen a 10-7 was rd 1 Edgar vs Maynard

Back