The New and Improved Hubble Ultra Deep Field

My research has not yielded definitive conclusions thus far. But it is my contention that there can only be one active "self." If you did create a clone while you were conscious, the clone would have a unique consciousness. The clone would essentially be your twin.

Any "data" in a computer can be copied. You would need help from another, since "you" would already be inside, but I could imagine if that tech ever existed, people would be making multiples of themselves, when and if at all possible.

Sorry about the derailment. Check out that hubble....

But is this really you? I would think it's closer to a clone, an imitation.
It brings all up sorts of interesting questions.

Edit: duh, you know its a clone, as you said so yourself lol.

I read a lot of science fiction, and frequent SF forms, and this has been talked about before. Unless it's direct tranfer of conciousness to a new body, the original being ceasts to be, imo. Say we do find the means to download ourselves into a database of some sort, you could potentially copy yourself into multiple bodies. Even different types of bodies, and be a multi person. I love this stuff!

That's the thing isn't it? The clone believes it's an original. All the memories are there and physical traits are copied over.

But your original self ceases to exist unless like you said there's a direct transfer of consciousness or spirit or something.

That's the thing isn't it? The clone believes it's an original. All the memories are there and physical traits are copied over.

But your original self ceases to exist unless like you said there's a direct transfer of consciousness or spirit or something.

Honestly, who knows? We are not even close to the tech that would allow such a thing, so right now all this amounts to is a hill of beans The question cannot be answered just by the fact that another body has your memories. The process in which it happens means more than the end results.

Any "data" in a computer can be copied. You would need help from another, since "you" would already be inside, but I could imagine if that tech ever existed, people would be making multiples of themselves, when and if at all possible.

Sorry about the derailment. Check out that hubble....

That is a good question. I theorize that the "self" information would be dormant in a database medium, and one could freely backup and update the databank with memories up until the moment of transfer. I assume that the transfer process could be automated. Though, the path of "unique consciousness" biometrics involved with storing "you" in a database while you remain active is cluttered with a myriad of obstacles.

I do not believe that one "self" can possess two bodies, so one brain would have to die before a transfer could occur.

In numerical terms, your "self" wavelength could be 158326903 and mine could be 158326904, but we are completely different people in every respect. Your clone would be 158326903A. It would possess everything similar to you except would have a unique consciousness. When your brain dies, then 158326903 becomes available for transfer. You do not obtain 158326903A's unique consciousness after your original brain dies.

This is just me brainstorming mind you, as I am likely way off.

Last edited:
That's a Goddamn closeup pic of an oil glob reflecting Times Square at night.

LOL ^^

The night sky most New Yorkers see regularly is so devoid of stars it's sad.

What if humans discovered immortality? My hypothesis is that our memory will be downloaded and stored on a hard drive, just like your computer. And when our body expires, cloning and bio-computer advancements would allow the data that makes you "you" to be uploaded into a databank, and then into a clone of yourself or someone else. If you and I can stick around indefinitely, then we could theoretically visit all of those places in the picture and beyond, regardless of propulsion limitations. Just put your memory into a databank and turn the dial on ludicrous speed for a few thousand years. I had a dream about this a few years ago and this thread revived that memory for one reason or another.

Yes, but how is your "essence of life" governed in this databank? Imagine the level of cyber crimes going beyond anything we can imagine, stealing & absorbing other "essences of life" just like yourself, hence making yourself smarter,all the while larger, you'll just become a glob of information. I know, random thoughts

LOL ^^

The night sky most New Yorkers see regularly is so devoid of stars it's sad.

haha dude, I'm in Manhattan just as much, but I live in Queens. city folk think I'm all country

What if humans discovered immortality? My hypothesis is that our memory will be downloaded and stored on a hard drive, just like your computer. And when our body expires, cloning and bio-computer advancements would allow the data that makes you "you" to be uploaded into a databank, and then into a clone of yourself or someone else. If you and I can stick around indefinitely, then we could theoretically visit all of those places in the picture and beyond, regardless of propulsion limitations. Just put your memory into a databank and turn the dial on ludicrous speed for a few thousand years. I had a dream about this a few years ago and this thread revived that memory for one reason or another.

Very disturbing as well if our minds can be downloaded, our enemies can hack in to the server and torture as for all eternity.

Hopefully by the time that technology comes about, humanity will have freed itself from the tyranny of corruption, greed, animosity, and all of the other negative human qualities that hold us back from achieving our true potential. But if this is improbable, perhaps it would be best not to have your databank connected to a network, along with fail-safe access controls.

Another question that comes to mind is how much memory can the human mind hold? In others words, your base memory may require frequent reformatting after successive transfers. I suppose that the various important memories that one chooses not to retain could be uploaded to a clone. You could then ask "yourself" about what the Mayberry nebula was like that you visited 1,000 years ago over tea and crumpets. Reflection within reflection may hold the secret of the stars, from one creation to the next.

Back