The New and Improved Hubble Ultra Deep Field

what's more incredible is that the sun still has influence over objects at the distance of Pluto, especially when you compare it's size (diameter) to distance of the furthest object.

Definitely. I still get that empty feeling when I think about anything space related. The pure emptiness it conveys is something our minds have a problem totally grasping. That, and how truly powerful even the weakest force is; gravity.

just fyi

hubble deep field image only covers 1/24 millionth of the sky

There are probably more than 170 billion galaxies in the observable universe that range from dwarfs with as few as ten million stars to giants with one hundred trillion stars.

So yeah, it's an understatement to say we're insignificant in the big picture.

Pretty much my thoughts too. Why all the excitement over a bunch of multi-colored light splotches on a black background? Get away from all the light pollution on a cloudless night and look up at the sky before moonrise for a much more dramatic view of the heavens.

Because the picture was taken by aiming the telescope at a small section of space where it looks like there isnt much there, and those arent stars in the picture, theyre galaxies. You can see a few galaxies with the naked eye, but most of what youre seeing are stars. Go outside and look at the stars, and find four stars close together that make the outline of a square with not much inside. That picture is essentially a zoomed in picture of that square.

Pretty much my thoughts too. Why all the excitement over a bunch of multi-colored light splotches on a black background? Get away from all the light pollution on a cloudless night and look up at the sky before moonrise for a much more dramatic view of the heavens.

And, by the way, what's the virtue in broadcasting one's universal insignificance? Are we not convinced that everyone around us is already aware of it?

because all of those light splotches are galaxies. Each galaxy containing billions of stars and countless planets.

It makes me believe in evolution, we all came from frogs. And the frogs came from a pool of amino acids.:rolleyes:

I don't get how someone can look at image like this and not think there is some sort of divine creator.

No fucking way we just accidentally came into existence when the universe is so god damn vast and for the most part empty.

I don't get how someone can look at image like this and not think there is some sort of divine creator.

No fucking way we just accidentally came into existence when the universe is so god damn vast and for the most part empty.

It tends to make me think the opposite actually.

What if humans discovered immortality? My hypothesis is that our memory will be downloaded and stored on a hard drive, just like your computer. And when our body expires, cloning and bio-computer advancements would allow the data that makes you "you" to be uploaded into a databank, and then into a clone of yourself or someone else. If you and I can stick around indefinitely, then we could theoretically visit all of those places in the picture and beyond, regardless of propulsion limitations. Just put your memory into a databank and turn the dial on ludicrous speed for a few thousand years. I had a dream about this a few years ago and this thread revived that memory for one reason or another.

Mmm it would be nice if they had some sort of key telling us what colors they used to illustrate the different spectrum's of light... I mean they say that the 2nd picture shows all the ultraviolet light... but ultraviolet light by definition is light with a wavelength that is not observable to the human eye.

What if humans discovered immortality? My hypothesis is that our memory will be downloaded and stored on a hard drive, just like your computer. And when our body expires, cloning and bio-computer advancements would allow the data that makes you "you" to be uploaded into a databank, and then into a clone of yourself or someone else. If you and I can stick around indefinitely, then we could theoretically visit all of those places in the picture and beyond, regardless of propulsion limitations. Just put your memory into a databank and turn the dial on ludicrous speed for a few thousand years. I had a dream about this a few years ago and this thread revived that memory for one reason or another.

For all you know that's already happened and you are in a simulated reality. I'm just part of the program.

For all you know that's already happened and you are in a simulated reality. I'm just part of the program.

I have thought about this and I cannot rule it out. We mulled this over in a thread a few months ago. Something about another dimension projecting or simulating reality in the 3rd dimension. Personally, I believe that we are real and are extensions of the earth, perhaps created by god, and meant to explore benevolently across the ever-reaching heavens. Essentially, we may be earth-probes, born to witness, reflect, and advance the ultimate system. But as you can easily glean from our societies, we have not quite reached universe ambassador-level benevolence. It may not happen with humans. I do believe that planet-born creatures will eventually have that role.

Last edited:

But is this really you? I would think it's closer to a clone, an imitation.
It brings all up sorts of interesting questions.

Edit: duh, you know its a clone, as you said so yourself lol.

I read a lot of science fiction, and frequent SF forms, and this has been talked about before. Unless it's direct tranfer of conciousness to a new body, the original being ceasts to be, imo. Say we do find the means to download ourselves into a database of some sort, you could potentially copy yourself into multiple bodies. Even different types of bodies, and be a multi person. I love this stuff!

Last edited:

Damn, that is deep.

But is this really you? I would think it's closer to a clone, an imitation.
It brings all up sorts of interesting questions.

It does bring up interesting questions and discussions. Our current essence may be clones from previous bodies. We are all locked into one consciousness, one self. A unique conscious wavelength, if you will. Also, I want to point out that the earth does have a way of recycling itself. Why would that unique conscious wavelength be destroyed for all time just because the body can no longer support it? But this has little to due with memory and more to do with the "soul." I believe that if the transfer of this unique wavelength is possible, then the imitation would only be the flesh.

Damn, that is deep.

They should make an 80's about it! Romanticism in space, with a heart. That's my pitch.

Last edited:
It does bring up interesting questions and discussions. Our current essence may be clones from previous bodies. We are all locked into one consciousness, one self. A unique conscious wavelength, if you will. Also, I want to point out that the earth does have a way of recycling itself. Why would that unique conscious wavelength be destroyed for all time just because the body can no longer support it? But this has little to due with memory and more to do with the "soul." I believe that if the transfer of this unique wavelength is possible, then the imitation would only be the flesh.

Whats to stop you from copying what is essentially in a giant computer? You are talking about digitizing your essence and whatnot. You could then have more than one you. Who is the real deal then?

Whats to stop you from copying what is essentially in a giant computer? You are talking about digitizing your essence and whatnot. You could then have more than one you. Who is the real deal then?

My research has not yielded definitive conclusions thus far. But it is my contention that there can only be one active "self." If you did create a clone while you were conscious, the clone would have a unique consciousness. The clone would essentially be your twin.

Back