the myth that Robbie is a bad match up for Askren

Kvolcom

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sure, Robbie fought Hendricks, but Johnny doesn't wrestle..he likes to bang. Everyone he fought likes to stand except for a past his prime Kos. And Kos likes to bang too.

When Lawler was in Strikeforce fighting guys that wrestle, try to take you down and don't stand up, he got destroyed.

Jake Shields
Babalu
Jacare
Tim Kennedy
Larkin

They all wrestle fucked him...what do you think Askren is going to do to him? lol easy work

Robbie is a big step up in competition for Askren

Lawler has a really good sprawl, but even in the Hendricks fight he showed that he can be held up against the cage. Lawler is a defensive pocket boxer who isn't nearly the KO threat he's made out to be.

This is honestly the easiest contender matchup that Askren could have been given. I'm not saying Askren will win this fight, but if Askren can't beat Robbie, he doesn't belong anywhere near the top 5.

The guy askren fought in one fc (the guy whose eye askren tried to dick out) was pretty legit. Something like 60-7 record and was dominating askren before the poke.

yfv.gif

Robbie vs 1 dimensional wrestler

The guy askren fought in one fc (the guy whose eye askren tried to dick out) was pretty legit. Something like 60-7 record and was dominating askren before the poke.
Something about your name really ticks me off {<shrug}

Hendrick was a combined 7/27 on takedown attempts in their 2 fights
Doesn't rassle BTW

I'm favoring Askren to win but he's the worst matchup that could be made because he's a striker and can in theory finish Askren before he gets to the mat. The top wrestlers are going to have to outwrestle him which isn't going to happen. So better fighters are probably easier fights for Askren, which he himself said.

The match might have been set up also so theres less of a chance of there being 15 minutes of lay and pray cause with Robbie at least one fighter is going to try to keep the fight standing when a lot of the other contenders might get the silly idea of actually trying to beat Askren on the floor.

3rounds, so Askren can go all out with his leg hugging. Lawler needs sprawl like he never sprawled before.

Robbie has been fighting since 2001.
He has 40 fights behind him, including many wars.
He had a late career resurgence and gave it 100% in order to be a champion on the big stage, and succeeded. But even that was 4-5 years ago.

I just don’t think the same Robbie that fought Rory and Hendricks is showing up any more.
Askren will wrestlefuck pre-retirement Robbie, the same guy who RDA and Cerrone fought.

Fight you mentioned were in MW . Lawler is small for todays MWs

A man with such hard punch is bad matchup for everyone in the world.

This type of shit is so cliche to say.

"Robbie has great TDD and can punch hard"
"Askrens never fought UFC caliber fighters"
"Askren has no stand up skills"

We've heard it all before, now sit down and watch Askren ride ya boy for 15 minutes. He's gonna decision everybody until he has the 165 belt.

Robbie has been fighting since 2001.
He has 40 fights behind him, including many wars.
He had a late career resurgence and gave it 100% in order to be a champion on the big stage, and succeeded. But even that was 4-5 years ago.

I just don’t think the same Robbie that fought Rory and Hendricks is showing up any more.
Askren will wrestlefuck pre-retirement Robbie, the same guy who RDA and Cerrone fought.
Look at where Matt Brown, Johnny Hendricks, Ellenberger, Condit, boby voleker, koschek and Rory are at in the careers now

Robbie is my favorite fighter but even I think this will be a tough fight for him. It's a bad stylistic match-up. Plus, Robbie just hasn't had that spark in his last few fights. I wanted him to fight another puncher to re-ignite that spark...but Askren will take him down and keep him there...sadly.

Jarl

One quick look at the tale of the tape shows that Askren is a in fact a bad matchup for Robbie.

IMG_20190214_015038.jpg

Robbie is my favorite fighter but even I think this will be a tough fight for him. It's a bad stylistic match-up. Plus, Robbie just hasn't had that spark in his last few fights. I wanted him to fight another puncher to re-ignite that spark...but Askren will take him down and keep him there...sadly.

Jarl
Lawler has decent TD defence and Ben has zero stand up so if he keeps it on the feet, he wins 10/10 times. Question is, can he keep it standing....
I definitely see Ben gettin some takedowns but if robbie can scramble and get back up it's good night benny

Last edited:
Back