The myth of Usyks lack of power

Avg power and his record proves it. Not sure why it's a myth when it seems obvious. Apparently now the new fan boys are going to pretend he's a killer puncher if he wants to be.

So was Ruiz. Until the rematch. Maybe you should wait until they fight again, stupid.
I thought the Ruis fight was alot closer until AJ got rocked. Two of the judges had it 3 rounds to 3 rounds and one had it 4 rounds to AJ and 2 rounds to Ruis. Usyk just put on clinic from pillar to post IMO. Ruiz certainly has more power, but Usyk is a better boxer and much more disciplined. He is not going to become the size of a blimp between the next fight, and he does not have to depend on the lucky punch, "stupid'<Lmaoo>.

HW Usyk has way more power. The training helped alot, just check round 3 how he makes Joshua's chin fly to China.

In the next fight he will be even more dangerous/stronger.

Imo it's 60/40 Usyk.

Avg power and his record proves it. Not sure why it's a myth when it seems obvious. Apparently now the new fan boys are going to pretend he's a killer puncher if he wants to be.

No one here is saying that he's a "killer puncher" all of a sudden. They're just dispelling the myth that he can't punch at all. And I agree with them. Anyone that says that he's a powderpuff puncher is a moron that doesn't know shit about boxing IMO. Usyk can bang when he wants to. His career has shown evidence of this.

Usyk has a decent punch. Far from a one punch quitter hitter (,well bar the bekkew fight) but he's not featherfisted either

No one here is saying that he's a "killer puncher" all of a sudden. They're just dispelling the myth that he can't punch at all. And I agree with them. Anyone that says that he's a powderpuff puncher is a moron that doesn't know shit about boxing IMO. Usyk can bang when he wants to. His career has shown evidence of this.
On the other hand, I don't think anyone says hes a "powderpuff" either. His power is below average for a HW. He's had one stoppage in 3 fights against a semi retired fighter from 2007's b list.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone says hes a "powderpuff" either. His power is below average for a HW. He's had one stoppage in 3 fights against a semi retired fighter from 2007's b list.

I think it's above average most likely. A below average puncher won't wobble AJ in the third round and make him hesitant for the rest of the fight.

I can't recall if anyone here specifically called him a "powderpuff puncher" ( many did elsewhere though ) but they alluded to it & claimed that AJ would walk right through him because he wouldn't be able to get AJ's respect. Didn't happen that way though did it? He rocked AJ early & nearly stopped him in the final round. And I think he stops AJ in the rematch.

I say he got underestimated above-average power. The knockouts will come soon enough.

Its a bit of a cliche, but almost all hw have some kind.of power. It's very rare to see a complete powderpuff at hw. Byrd might have been the.closest, but even him was able to punch hard enough to get the respect of tua and vander

Its a bit of a cliche, but almost all hw have some kind.of power. It's very rare to see a complete powderpuff at hw. Byrd might have been the.closest, but even him was able to punch hard enough to get the respect of tua and vander

Excellent points.

Probably the lightest hitting heavyweight of note in ( somewhat ) recent years that comes to my mind is Buster Mathis Jr. He went 21-2 during his career with 7 wins inside the distance but all of his inside the distance wins were over very low-level opposition that he basically beat up on until the referee waved the fights over. I don't believe I ever saw him drop an opponent. He made Chris Byrd look like Earnie Shavers.

Speaking of which, here's a wee bit of trivia you might not know, Shavers fought Chris Byrd's father, Joe, back in 1970 & knocked him out in three rounds. And Joe Byrd made his pro debut in 1964 by winning a four-round decision over famed boxing promoter, Don Elbaum who had to fill in as an opponent when Byrd's original foe failed to show up. Elbaum would later be my promoter/agent when I was fighting.

I can't recall if anyone here specifically called him a "powderpuff puncher" ( many did elsewhere though ) but they alluded to it & claimed that AJ would walk right through him because he wouldn't be able to get AJ's respect. Didn't happen that way though did it? He rocked AJ early & nearly stopped him in the final round. And I think he stops AJ in the rematch.

I say he got underestimated above-average power. The knockouts will come soon enough.
I've seen some posters here call Usyk feather-fisted which means the same thing as a powderpuff / pitty pat puncher, I suppose. He often doesn't sit down on his punches and throw with real bad intentions so they're not even judging him when he's fully committing to hitting with power. It's easy to misjudge a fighter's power when that's the case. I've mentioned this in the past. When he does sit down though he can actually deal damage and stop opponents.

I'd say his power is about average or slightly above myself. That's not bad at all considering he's a Cruiserweight that moved up to Heavy. What makes him dangerous IMO has more to do with his potent mixture of timing, accuracy, speed, angles, and craftiness/sneakiness on his punches than it does his power. In other words his punches are sharp, their delivery surprises his opponents as they're intended to, and he places them very well.

Last edited:

His KO record is hardly average and it’s also relative to who he’s fought. He didn’t have 20 cans to start with to pad his record out with, like virtually every other boxer does. He hasn’t even had 20 fights. He’s been fighting mostly world level fighters since his 10rh fight, 8 world title fights, mostly unifications and still has a 3:4 KO ratio.

There are very few examples of pro boxers without power. What people often describe as "no hw power" are just boxers that dont go for the knockout punch or dont have one shot ko power in a normal shot. A pro boxer next to never throws full power otherwise he wouldnt even make 6 rounds. Usyk has plenty of power, thats why you cant just walk him down but he will not go for the knockout. Its all in the footwork. He doesnt plant and throw, he moves and throws while moving.

Pro boxers with less to no power are Malignaggi f.e.. Chris Byrd also did have a power problem at HW.

I mentioned that in annother thread: I watched Usyk train once and his straight right had a lot of power when he punches with power. He just rarely does that.

I've seen some posters here call Usyk feather-fisted which means the same thing as a powderpuff / pitty pat puncher, I suppose. He often doesn't sit down on his punches and throw with real bad intentions so they're not even judging him when he's fully committing to hitting with power. It's easy to misjudge a fighter's power when that's the case. I've mentioned this in the past. When he does sit down though he can actually deal damage and stop opponents.

I'd say his power is about average or slightly above myself. That's not bad at all considering he's a Cruiserweight that moved up to Heavy. What makes him dangerous IMO has more to do with his potent mixture of timing, accuracy, speed, angles, and craftiness/sneakiness on his punches than it does his power. In other words his punches are sharp, their delivery surprises his opponents as they're intended to, and he places them very well.

Excellent assessment & I agree with you 100%.

He does not have heavyweight power, no matter how much people wish it to be true. He can be overwhelming with workrate and after he's worn guys down.
If he had real power, he would have had Joshua out of there. Joshua doesn't take a shot well at all and he went all 12.

He's a points boxer, whether people like it or not.

lol….this guy !

<36>

lol….this guy !

<36>
lol! ROFLLMAO! LMAOLOL! ROFLCOPTER!
fetchimage

OK, look ,you fucking retard. This thread is about Usyks power. 6 of his last 10 fights have gone the distance and his one stoppage at HW was against a guy who quit on his stool. A fat old boxer who's best fights were literally 15 years ago. He didn't even have great power at cruiser. In his last 10 fights, he's stopped Bellew, Huck and Witherspoon. Fighters who are barely even active. If there was a definition to the term "average power for heavyweight" there would be a picture of Usyk.
Seriously, take the damn stick out of your ass already. How dumb can you be to be offended at someone say a guy who hasn't KO'd a single opponents at HW has average HW power? There is literally 0 proof that the guy has any power at all. Nothing, I mean literally nothing, he has done in the ring points to him being a big puncher. You're literally making up fantasies about the guys power. Get a life already. Imagine seriously being offended by this.

lol! ROFLLMAO! LMAOLOL! ROFLCOPTER!
fetchimage

OK, look ,you fucking retard. This thread is about Usyks power. 6 of his last 10 fights have gone the distance and his one stoppage at HW was against a guy who quit on his stool. A fat old boxer who's best fights were literally 15 years ago. He didn't even have great power at cruiser. In his last 10 fights, he's stopped Bellew, Huck and Witherspoon. Fighters who are barely even active. If there was a definition to the term "average power for heavyweight" there would be a picture of Usyk.
Seriously, take the damn stick out of your ass already. How dumb can you be to be offended at someone say a guy who hasn't KO'd a single opponents at HW has average HW power? There is literally 0 proof that the guy has any power at all. Nothing, I mean literally nothing, he has done in the ring points to him being a big puncher. You're literally making up fantasies about the guys power. Get a life already. Imagine seriously being offended by this.
“6 of his last 10 fights have gone the distance and his one stoppage at HW was against a guy who quit on his stool.”

Finishing rate =/= punching power. It's only one possible indication of possessing this trait. Plenty of fighters hit harder than their finishing rate would indicate.

“There is literally 0 proof that the guy has any power at all. Nothing, I mean literally nothing, he has done in the ring points to him being a big puncher.”

Of course there's proof that he has power even if it's only rated as average or slightly above. AJ wasn't able to just walk him down like so many people believed he'd be able to do. Were you one of the people who thought AJ could? I wouldn't doubt it but, then again, I was away when the fight happened and the predictions were made. He's been able to consistently hurt these heavyweights. He's not a big hitter at all but he's not feather-fisted, either.

“6 of his last 10 fights have gone the distance and his one stoppage at HW was against a guy who quit on his stool.”

Finishing rate =/= punching power. It's only one possible indication of possessing this trait. Plenty of fighters hit harder than their finishing rate would indicate.

“There is literally 0 proof that the guy has any power at all. Nothing, I mean literally nothing, he has done in the ring points to him being a big puncher.”

Of course there's proof that he has power even if it's only rated as average or slightly above. AJ wasn't able to just walk him down like so many people believed he'd be able to do. Were you one of the people who thought AJ could? I wouldn't doubt it but, then again, I was away when the fight happened and the predictions were made. He's been able to consistently hurt these heavyweights. He's not a big hitter at all but he's not feather-fisted, either.
lol OK. KO ratio has nothing to do with KO power. What really matters is our imaginations.

Back