The myth of Usyks lack of power

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score
He just doesn't go all out for single shots but he has plenty of power even at heavy. He beat the piss out of Joe Joyce in the ammies and would've stopped him if it was over 5.

When he was 1-0 he stopped Mendoza in 4 rounds including 2 knockdowns. 14-0 Luis Ortiz couldn't drop him once.

Brechlins corner threw the towel against Usyk while he went at it with 6'6'' 250lb Makhmudov, 6'6 240 Hrgovic and bodybuilder AJ himself

Usyk also stopped a 270lb tank in the WSB. Mudongo has only been stopped by Joyce otherwise via cuts. KOd David Allen in sparring and neglected to finish him off. Hurt Chisora and AJ multiple times now and was close to stopping Anthony

He's accurate and fast. That translates to power, especially in the later rounds when your opponent is fatigued. Both Chisora & Bellew have confirmed he's got power.

Those who say he can't punch are people who either haven't followed his career/training or don't have a clue where power comes from. As RJJ said this guy does the tippy tap punching because he is scoring and boxing conservatively for the longest stretches of time, but when he is sitting down and throwing with bad intentions you better not find yourself in the recieving end of it. I like Joshuas response at the post fight press "anyone can punch at this level"

he doesn't have the concussive power some other fighters have, but he's stopped plenty of people. he keeps landing accurate shots on the chin and people go down from accumulation.

if he was a weak puncher who can't hurt anyone, plenty of people would've walked him down by now and kicked his ass. but they don't, because he stings them and they know very well they'll get their lights turned off if they let him keep hitting them.

He just doesn't go all out for single shots but he has plenty of power even at heavy. He beat the piss out of Joe Joyce in the ammies and would've stopped him if it was over 5.

When he was 1-0 he stopped Mendoza in 4 rounds including 2 knockdowns. 14-0 Luis Ortiz couldn't drop him once.

Brechlins corner threw the towel against Usyk while he went at it with 6'6'' 250lb Makhmudov, 6'6 240 Hrgovic and bodybuilder AJ himself

Usyk also stopped a 270lb tank in the WSB. Mudongo has only been stopped by Joyce otherwise via cuts. KOd David Allen in sparring and neglected to finish him off. Hurt Chisora and AJ multiple times now and was close to stopping Anthony
I think he has decent power, but he doesn't show it that often because he doesn't sit down on his shots. It's just not his style. I think he could have got the stoppage in the last round but he relented for some reason. He didn't have long to work either.

I think he has decent power, but he doesn't show it that often because he doesn't sit down on his shots. It's just not his style. I think he could have got the stoppage in the last round but he relented for some reason. He didn't have long to work either.

Related to power: Post fight he said after those agressive three first rounds, coach Lomachenko warned him in the corner that you must change your style and that chasing the KO is not what they planned or came to do. Usyk than slowed down from round 4 to 6 as we saw. I also had the same feeling as his coach, had he countinued the hyper agressive approach Joshua could have countered him and dropped him somewhere in rounds 4 or 5 (or at least there was the risk of getting tagged). Great job from the coach and great discipline from Usyk listening to him.

Related to power: Post fight he said after those agressive three first rounds, coach Lomachenko warned him in the corner that you must change your style and that chasing the KO is not what they planned or came to do. Usyk than slowed down from round 4 to 6 as we saw. I also had the same feeling as his coach, had he countinued the hyper agressive approach Joshua could have countered him and dropped him somewhere in rounds 4 or 5 (or at least there was the risk of getting tagged). Great job from the coach and great discipline from Usyk listening to him.
That's really interesting to hear. Yeah maybe if he had tried for the KO AJ could have countered him. On the flip side I thought that Poppa Lomachenko let Loma lose the first half of the fight against Lopez because of a lack of urgency and risk taking. And the reason I say that is because Loma himself thought he'd done enough to win the early rounds.

Last edited:
He does not have heavyweight power, no matter how much people wish it to be true. He can be overwhelming with workrate and after he's worn guys down.
If he had real power, he would have had Joshua out of there. Joshua doesn't take a shot well at all and he went all 12.

He's a points boxer, whether people like it or not.

He does not have heavyweight power, no matter how much people wish it to be true. He can be overwhelming with workrate and after he's worn guys down.
If he had real power, he would have had Joshua out of there. Joshua doesn't take a shot well at all and he went all 12.

He's a points boxer, whether people like it or not.
if he didn't have HW power than Joshua would of easily steamrolled him

he doesn't have the greatest pop, but his timing and accuracy combined with his speed does produce a sting...Joshua was stung a few times in the fight

At heavyweight most punches are going to provide enough sting from both sides since weight and punching power increases higher in comparison to a fighter's durability.

You got outliers like Wilder who pretty much is the hardest punching heavyweight of all time despite him being on the lighter side.

At least Usyk is pretty quick for a heavyweight though, even with his increased weight from the preparation for the Joshua fight. When punches move faster they're more or less guaranteed to sting every time i guess.

He's also got good movement and is quite patient with his punches so its not like boxers at hw need to throw with heat every time they want to land something

He had AJ spinning and flying around the ring.

Yeah at really looks like he does have about average power at HW. No pillow fist at all. If he puts his weight behind it, he already has very fast hands and speed so there obviously has to be some power. AJ might not have the greatest chin, but you could see the surprise in the first round after Usyk landed his first left. Also cause he is so fast i would assume a lot of punches you dont see coming, making them even more devastating.

He doesnt ever really sit down on his punches, same as Fury. When they do, they hurt their opponents.

I dont know why people struggle with this lol

Ruiz stopped Joshua. Usyk didnt.
Ruiz also got the shit beat out of him by Joshua and lost. Usyk was like:
mortal-kombat-straw-hatz.gif

He doesnt ever really sit down on his punches, same as Fury. When they do, they hurt their opponents.

I dont know why people struggle with this lol
For real. Contrast that to Wilder, who looks like he learned boxing from River Clemens. No shit people are going to get spectacular knockouts when they goose step into haymakers and connect, but if you have the skills to hit and not get hit back, then that’s not the style most will adopt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back