The Myth of the "change" in GSP's style

...if all fighters fought like gsp, the ufc would be in serious trouble.

Dude, if there were two guys as technical and strategic as GSP and they fought each other it would be like the best fight ever. Don't really see your point? You think GSP should plant his feet and swing for the fences like a bum because you find that more entertaining?

i have never received yellow cards or a warning from a moderator on the things i say about georges st. pierre.

your issue with me, is that you don't agree with me.

there is nothing wrong with that. where the problem lies, is with people such as yourself who stoop to calling others, "trolls", when someone does not agree with you.

you need to grow up.

You are a troll. When you criticize everything about GSP even his success and suggest, as you do now and have in the past, that the UFC and MMA would be in trouble with more fighters like GSP then you are either dumb or trolling. He is the most successful fighter in MMA history, and while you do not have to like him, your pretense or need to believe others don't makes you a troll.

Well, he has always been a fighter who exploits his opponent's weakness, but there's not denying he's safer now than before he was p4p top 3. No more spinning back kicks and high risk techniques. GSP sure is a mixed martial arts master, but he's not as flashy as Anderson or Jones.

That simply is not true. He was a p4p top three when he finished Serra, Hughes, and Penn and when he fought Fitch - and in all of those fights GSP used flashy moves. The only fight after the Serra loss where GSP didn't look so great was against Koscheck.

What changed GSP was the money. He made millions after Hughes 3, Serra 2 and Penn 2. Then he slowed down. You can see it clear as day. His TD's aren't as fast as they were, he doesn't mix up his striking with big combos anymore or rush in to finish guys after they are hurt. He just relaxes and keeps it slow.

The GSP that fought and got a UD against Fitch would likely have finished Hardy (with ground and pound mixed with sub attempts), Jake Shields (pouncing after hurting him) and definitely Koscheck in the 2nd Kos fight. (going all out after Kos clearly lost vision).

I don't blame him for not finishing Alves, he messed up his groin. And I don't blame him for not finishing Condit, that was a hard victory after a major injury - but he should have and could have finished those other fights. He didn't because being champ is cushy, and he's not as fast/as much of a monster as he used to be.

The funny thing cuepee is that I can find one of your banned accounts arguing that Georges is in a slump, basically implying that Georges can do better and that his decision streak is just an anomaly.

I guess now that Georges made it clear that he's not a finisher that argument doesn't sound as good, so you're reusing the 'he's fighting top comp' argument.

GSP is in a slump. And he is also fighting better opponents. Answers are not generally one dimensional.

Most fighters tap in the position Hardy was in, before finding out if their arm will snap or they will survive it. Good on hardy for risking it and surviving but most would tap. the Kos fight gets stopped 9 times out of 10 with a clearly broken orbital bone.

Tough crap for GSP that they did not get stopped, he has to eat that, but on any other day both those fights are stoppages and we are not talking about a GSP fight stopping issue with 3 stoppages in his last 6 fights.

If you deny GSP is fighting better comp then you are dumb or a troll. there is no option 3.

You are a troll. When you criticize everything about GSP even his success and suggest, as you do now and have in the past, that the UFC and MMA would be in trouble with more fighters like GSP then you are either dumb or trolling. He is the most successful fighter in MMA history, and while you do not have to like him, your pretense or need to believe others don't makes you a troll.

Coming from the biggest troll of the past 3 years, I'm not sure how he should take that accusation. Takes one to know one it the best case scenario here. Otherwise just more trolling from a poster thrice banned...or is this acct #5?

GSP is in a slump. And he is also fighting better opponents. Answers are not generally one dimensional.

Who has argued that Georges is in a slump except for you? And your other banned accounts don't count.

Because neither Georges or those around him seem to think so.

It basically seems like you've built a bubble of delusion in which you've fooled yourself into thinking that Georges is in a slump to ignore the fact that he's fighting safer now.

Most fighters tap in the position Hardy was in, before finding out if their arm will snap or they will survive it. Good on hardy for risking it and surviving but most would tap. the Kos fight gets stopped 9 times out of 10 with a clearly broken orbital bone.

Excuses.

Tough crap for GSP that they did not get stopped, he has to eat that, but on any other day both those fights are stoppages and we are not talking about a GSP fight stopping issue with 3 stoppages in his last 6 fights.

Unfortunately, we discuss what actually happens here, and not what you decide should have happened.

If you deny GSP is fighting better comp then you are dumb or a troll. there is no option 3.

Some advice. You're not in a position to call other people dumb or troll.

Moving on...

I never denied Georges is fighting better competition, so you can stop implying it now. You wouldn't want to get yourself banned because of simple mistake.

Coming from the biggest troll of the past 3 years, I'm not sure how he should take that accusation. Takes one to know one it the best case scenario here. Otherwise just more trolling from a poster thrice banned...or is this acct #5?

#5...

I lost count after #10.

thank goodnesss BJs corner through in the towel or else gsp would have 7 straight 25 minute decisions. at least its only 6/7

That simply is not true. He was a p4p top three when he finished Serra, Hughes, and Penn and when he fought Fitch - and in all of those fights GSP used flashy moves. The only fight after the Serra loss where GSP didn't look so great was against Koscheck.

What changed GSP was the money. He made millions after Hughes 3, Serra 2 and Penn 2. Then he slowed down. You can see it clear as day. His TD's aren't as fast as they were, he doesn't mix up his striking with big combos anymore or rush in to finish guys after they are hurt. He just relaxes and keeps it slow.

The GSP that fought and got a UD against Fitch would likely have finished Hardy (with ground and pound mixed with sub attempts), Jake Shields (pouncing after hurting him) and definitely Koscheck in the 2nd Kos fight. (going all out after Kos clearly lost vision).

I don't blame him for not finishing Alves, he messed up his groin. And I don't blame him for not finishing Condit, that was a hard victory after a major injury - but he should have and could have finished those other fights. He didn't because being champ is cushy, and he's not as fast/as much of a monster as he used to be.

The Hardy fight was imo GSP's most lazy performance and you can tell that it was a complete mismatch since he didn't even bother to use GnP (something no one can say he has abandoned in general). I'm not one of those guys who believe that Anderson let Chael take him down etc, but I truly think GSP could have ripped Hardy's arm if he really wanted to.

On the rest of the post I think it's all very debatable. The GSP that 'finished' (wore out) BJ looks to me like the same GSP we have today. The Shield's fight I have not and will never see, but overall it kinda looks like you agree with me, except on the p4p top 3 thing. As the pressure of being the continuos champion increased, GSP have begun to abandon his flashy moves and play it more safe, although I don't think it's because his abilities have diminished. His striking, imo, looks more accurate than ever and his takedowns are effective enough. What was so flashy in the BJ fight? The fact that GSP threw a superman punch?

thank goodnesss BJs corner through in the towel or else gsp would have 7 straight 25 minute decisions. at least its only 6/7

Still... Could you imagine any other champ going so many fights and only finishing once. The guy has fought 34 rounds out of 35 possible.

The lack if finishes are in itself kind of impressive. And I doubt we'll see someone who's able to not finish title defences as good as Georges.

Who has argued that Georges is in a slump except for you? And your other banned accounts don't count.

Because neither Georges or those around him seem to think so.

It basically seems like you've built a bubble of delusion in which you've fooled yourself into thinking that Georges is in a slump to ignore the fact that he's fighting safer now.

Excuses.

Unfortunately, we discuss what actually happens here, and not what you decide should have happened.

Some advice. You're not in a position to call other people dumb or troll.

Moving on...

I never denied Georges is fighting better competition, so you can stop implying it now. You wouldn't want to get yourself banned because of simple mistake.

#5...

I lost count after #10.

Technically I own the cue pee handle since he lost an acct bet and refused to pay up. After that I didn't concern myself with his ninja activities.

There is a clear difference in his style now compared to his earlier career. He relies a lot more on his wrestling now, and are playing it "safe" instead of going for the finish.

No he does not. The only fights in which he did not try to wrestlefuck his oppoenent where against Kos and shields two of his three last fights. He wrestled Miller and Parisyan he wrestled Spratt, Trigg, Hieron, Hughes, Strasser, Sherk and BJ.
He is less about damage and more about controlling guys these days - although this has been more of a continious developement then a clean break after the Serra fight.

Still... Could you imagine any other champ going so many fights and only finishing once. The guy has fought 34 rounds out of 35 possible.

The lack if finishes are in itself kind of impressive. And I doubt we'll see someone who's able to not finish title defences as good as Georges.

its really crazy when you see that Anderson has finished 14 of 16 fights in the UFC.

obviously not all of them title fights, but thats an insane streak.

It just boggles my mind that gsp fans can't accept how some people can consider gsp "safe" or "boring" after seeing Silva destroy people.

GSP is the best welterweight of all time. No arguement otherwise. However to say his style hasnt changed over the years is not only incorrect its borderline delusional imo. The GSP who fought Matt Hughes the 2nd and third times would destroy the GSP who fought Shields.

GSP is the best welterweight of all time. No arguement otherwise. However to say his style hasnt changed over the years is not only incorrect its borderline delusional imo. The GSP who fought Matt Hughes the 2nd and third times would destroy the GSP who fought Shields.

No, he would lose. UD

I think the only misconception here is that his style changed after the first Serra fight.

I personally believe it was the Fitch fight that changed him forever. He actively TRIED to finish Fitch and couldn't. From that fight on he seemed to just say "fuck it, I'll go for points."

To say there is no change in style is straight delusional. You don't nickname a man "Rush" for taking his time and methodically winning on points. Unless the TS is suggesting his nickname is sarcasm?

I think the only misconception here is that his style changed after the first Serra fight.

I personally believe it was the Fitch fight that changed him forever. He actively TRIED to finish Fitch and couldn't. From that fight on he seemed to just say "fuck it, I'll go for points."

To say there is no change in style is straight delusional. You don't nickname a man "Rush" for taking his time and methodically winning on points. Unless the TS is suggesting his nickname is sarcasm?

After the Fitch fight be brutalized Penn and didn't let him get a single point of offense, while at the same time smashing his head off the ground so much that Penn simply gave up.

I see your point but I'd argue it was the money that changed him, not the Fitch fight. Maybe its a combination of both.

Any evolving fighter will change his style at least a little throughout his career.

GSP is simply smarter now and has more elaborate gameplans. He knows where he can win and how, simple as that. Its called being smart, not cautious. Fighters like Rampage Jackson (or Roy Nelson, for a more current fighter) have a short, painful shelf life with the basic strategy of "I'll hit them harder than they hit me" - fighters with skill play longer (Floyd Mayweather, GSP, Anderson Silva, Jon Jones etc)

After the Fitch fight be brutalized Penn and didn't let him get a single point of offense, while at the same time smashing his head off the ground so much that Penn simply gave up.

I see your point but I'd argue it was the money that changed him, not the Fitch fight. Maybe its a combination of both.

His fight with Penn was pure strategy though. He wasn't going for the finish in pure Rush form. He wanted to ground n pound and score points.

Definitely agree on both though. Money will change things for sure, but you can see a different look in his eyes and a lack of hunger now. He's just content with a win.

Back