The Most Underrated Fighter of All-Time?

Its fookin Frankie Edgar and not even close
Wins over : BJ x3 times
Chad Mendes
Sean Sherk
Jeremy Stephens
Gray Maynard
Uriah Faber ( first time i saw Frankie to be a bigger guy)
Cub Swanson twice
Jim Miller.
He beat Bendo the second fight I thought

I had Sherk in mind as soon as I saw the thread title and lol'd when I saw TS picked Sherk, also.

Only 4 losses were to all time greats in competitive fights.

A lot of solid wins.

It's a shame he wasn't matched up against more top fighters.

Gustafsson.

The only fighter who has ever proven he can fight on Jones's and Cormier's level, but is seen nowhere near on their level because he happened to lose those decisions. His legacy will be close to a gatekeeper status, even when at his best he was close to as good as prime Jones and prime DC. Can't really get more underrated than that.

Gustafsson.

The only fighter who has ever proven he can fight on Jones's and Cormier's level, but is seen nowhere near on their level because he happened to lose those decisions. His legacy will be close to a gatekeeper status, even when at his best he was close to as good as prime Jones and prime DC. Can't really get more underrated than that.

Not a bad answer but Gus will never be looked as a " near gatekeeper " ???? and people still say if Bader came back to UFC, he still loses to Jones, DC and Gus but not a bad answer cause he does deserve credit for fighting on the level of Jones and DC ( competitively)

Lyoto Machida has defeated FIVE multi-division MMA champions!
  1. BJ Penn - UFC LW and WW champ
  2. Randy Couture - UFC LHW and HW champ
  3. Dan Henderson - PRIDE WW and MW champ
  4. Ryan Bader - Bellator LHW and HW champ (current)
  5. Gegard Mousasi - DREAM MW and LHW champ (and current Bellator MW champ)
Still never in any GOAT discussion!
Well, he is my personal GOAT!
<{cum@me}>

Last edited:
In your opinion, who is the most underrated or underappreciated fighter in MMA History?

My vote is Sean "The Muscle Shark" Sherk.

Record of 36-4, Former UFC Lightweight Champion, Former Welterweight Title Contender, only losses were to 4 All-Time Greats and Champions (BJ Penn, Matt Hughes, Frankie Edgar, & Georges St. Pierre).

He went on a 19 Fight Win Streak in his first 19 fights followed by another 12 Fight Win Streak later in his career.

Notable wins include Karo Parisyan x2, Manny Gamburyan, Nick Diaz, Kenny Florian, Hermes Franca, & Tyson Griffin.

He was always undersized in terms of height and reach, but was athletic and strong enough to compete at a very high level. He also had some of the fastest level change takedowns that I have ever seen.

WAR THE MUSCLE SHARK, inb4 PEDs
The most underrated fighter must be Elias Theodorou, yes motherfuckers, everyone here will tell you how bad he is, how he can not fight... but he is still beating guys in the UFC...

The most underrated fighter must be Elias Theodorou, yes motherfuckers, everyone here will tell you how bad he is, how he can not fight... but he is still beating guys in the UFC...
Elias is fucking terrible. Just absolutely terrible.

I think it's Aldo. He's never in the GOAT discussions but he easily could be the best fighter ever fundamentally.
I agree, he always gets forgotten when GOATS get brought up. Even idiots like Rogan and Schaub blatantly say he’s not the FW GOAT

Its fookin Frankie Edgar and not even close
Wins over : BJ x3 times
Chad Mendes
Sean Sherk
Jeremy Stephens
Gray Maynard
Uriah Faber ( first time i saw Frankie to be a bigger guy)
Cub Swanson twice
Jim Miller.
Let's be real here son, frankie didn't win the 1st bj fight but yeah frankie is definitely underrated. And I thought he won both bendo fights as well

Back