The Most Refined Educated Fans

I often see the phrase, "I don't hate him [fighter], I hate his fans." Usually because they are "The most delusional."

Occasionally there is even a thread about "Who has the most delusional fans?"

But let's look at it from the other side:

Which fighter has the most refined, intelligent, non-delusional fans?

The answer is obviously

Miocic, Stipe

DC

RDA

Frankie

Fantastic fighters who are not mainstream despite their best efforts in the ring. Their fans typically aren't n00b dipshits

fancon.jpg

Fighters are like bands. When people first discover them they're cool. Then when everyone discovers them, fans are like, "I knew them before others knew they were good!!! Acknowledge me!!!" Finally people are like! "I hate them! They're overrated!!"

Lol, so it's like a hipster thing. So next time I see, "I don't hate so and so fighter I hate his fans because they are delusional" I can assume they have a waxed mustache and suspenders and thick, black rimmed glasses they don't need. And if I ask them who they think is the best they'll say something like, "Well, most people don't realize this yet, but Sarah Kauffman's ground game is highly underrated."

I wouldn't say hipster, but there's a big gap between casual fans (like my wife) and people who follow the sport closely enough to spend time posting about it on an MMA forum.

I thought the UFC 201 fights were, on the whole, pretty entertaining. She basically put up with it because I was watching.

Our reactions to the new "I Know You" promo for Diaz vs. McGregor 2 were very telling.
Me: I can't wait to see that.
Her: Ooooh, now THIS (aka what we're watching now is shit) is going to be good. I can feel the emotion!

We are not at all the same type of MMA fan.

I often see the phrase, "I don't hate him [fighter], I hate his fans." Usually because they are "The most delusional."

Occasionally there is even a thread about "Who has the most delusional fans?"

But let's look at it from the other side:

Which fighter has the most refined, intelligent, non-delusional fans?
Cro cop

Diaz and Jones fans are the least refined; Chael fans are the most refined.

OT Posters are the most educated fans, but we rather not share our thoughts with you guys, cuz ya IQ is below 50.

I'd say Aldo fans. He isn't the flashiest.. He hasn't been the killer of the wec days. He was put down quickly when the spotlight was on... He didn't put on much of a barn burner at ufc 200(although it was something to marvel at in terms of technique). I feel like if you're a casual, you probably aren't a fan of Aldo...

Aldo is my favorite fighter ha

Rich Franklin is the correct answer.

Jake Shield fans

Demian maia

Both great answers.

I really think the fans of that type are more likely to be hardcore mma fans. They've seen the same spinning wheel kicks and Gogoplatas and head kicks as others, but after watching the sport for so long, they begin to appreciate the workhorses with amazing records but relatively shitty HL reels.

I don't want to sell them short by referring to them as "workhorses." They are both very skilled, two of the best grapplers ever. But it's always methodical. The advantage is always there, but they gradually work toward exploiting it.

I really enjoy watching Elkins fight. If you had told me ten years that someone like him would be one of my favorite fighters to watch, I wouldn't have believed you. He doesn't apply to this thread because he doesn't have enough fans to really have a presence here, but he's just a gritty SOB.

When you root for a guy like that, you're rooting for the most boring fight. I'm not saying his wins are necessarily boring. I really enjoyed his victory over Pepey, but I know if Pepey won, it would've made for better TV.

Back