The Most Impressive Animal You've Seen in Real-Life (not in a zoo)

Big ass moose in my back yard when I was a kid.
Jumped the 2m fence like it was nothing and snuffled around the snow a bit looking for food, then it ran off.

i saw a fox in my parent's neighborhood. pretty legit. and a bob cat one time we went camping those fuckers dont play and are mean

I got chased by a hippo in West Africa.

Hah that reminded me of when we were in the serengeti and it was the only time we were allowed out of the vehicle.

We all walked up to pond that had 20 or so hippos about 100ft away. We could see baby hippos mixed in and as more of us started to get to the edge of the pond, they started lining up in front of the babies.

Sure enough, one of them started charging through the water towards us to which we promptly ran back to the vehicles.

Oh and another time we were in the Masai Mara and a Cape buffalo charged us and missed the vehicle by about a foot. Luckily the guide saw it and hauled ass just in time.

A baby crocodile that hung out in the backyard of my sister's house in South Carolina. Luckily they moved before it grew up.

A fox for me as well.

Also, the strangest would be a coyote, especially in our residential neighborhood. Good thing my dog wasnt on the front porch as he usually is, he wouldve been mauled by that fucking thing.

Does a safari count? The Six Flags in NJ has a safari. I saw rhinos, ostriches, baboons, lions.

Out on the ocean, I have seen Basking sharks, dolphins, and humpback whales.

Out in nature I have seen american crocodiles near Nawlins, skunk, moose,

Bunch of snakes not that rare here. Echidna. Wombat. All main Australian animals
Most memorable was seeing a shark swim under me when surfing
The light/conditions that day were just right. Makes me wonder how many other days ive been close. Im almost certain it was a great white it was at least 10 feet long and really wide
Saw a few reef sharks snorkelling but they don't attack humans

good friend of mine swears up and down he saw a unicorn the first time he got stoned. he didnt take any pictures so i cant verify his story lolz.

also pretty sure the aussies win this thread by a mile, all kinds of hardcore shit down under.

hmmm, that I can remember, a bear, several rattlesnakes, one of which struck at me from a coiled position when I was fishing, an arctic fox, a wolf above treeline in the snow, a monkey, an owl, all kinds of eagles, elk, deer, antelope.

Lets see here. . . . I've seen plenty of alligators / rattlesnakes / coral snakes / cottonmouths. . . Just living in Florida.

I've also got dumped in the water while doing some tourist parasailing thing with my ex, within 150 feet of two hammerhead sharks. . .

I've had 2 11ish ft. bull sharks swim up while we snorkeling and chumming the water off of the Keys (stupid I know). That was sketch. .

Had a 4-6ft. long barracuda snatch a hogfish off of a pole spear the same week, more startling than scary. . .

Coolest by far was when I was in Jamaica a few years ago. . . We found a big ass cave with some wild shit in it. . . like burial mounds and goat bones. . . But after like 300 bats scared the shit outta me I saw two big ass white owls that hooted at me and flew up through a hole like 75 feet up. . Didn't expect to see big white owls in Jamaica.

honorable mention: Saw a wild cat and a family of otters cross the same road the same day within an hour of each other.

Edit: I forgot why we were chumming in the keys. There was a HUGE jewfish like 400+lbs. looking like the size of a car. We had a bucket filled chunks of dead fish that we stuck a rope in and froze so it'd kinda regulate the scent and last longer. . . This thing swam up while we were snorkeling and would grab the frozen chum in it's mouth. . . swim a ways with it and spit it back out. . . We figured out that we could untie the rope and hold onto it and it'd pull us through the water a bit. . . This was all super illegal at a protected reef called Looe key.

Saw a bear (i think it was a grizzly) eating in a dumpster near lake shasta in California.

Went whales watching in Victoria BC and saw a pod of Orcas.

Both were awesome

I've seen moose, elk and bison at Yellowstone, all pretty badass. I saw a brown bear and bighorn sheep at Joshua Tree National Park, both crazy. Easily the coolest thing I've ever seen though was a giant eagle (I think a golden eagle) swoop down off a powerline, grab a roadrunner in it's talons, and fly off. This happened like 5 ft away from me while I was grilling and I was like "wtf just happened", it was insane.

Also, I got stung by a stingray when I was a kid at the beach, but I didn't see it, so I guess it doesn't count. Crazy.

Decent sized black bear in CA, was sitting around the fire making dinner with my friend camping out in the woods. It walked out of the brush in front of us, stopped 12 feet away and just stared at us for what seemed like 30 seconds sniffing the air. then turned around and walked off, then my heart started beating again

Been to 34 US national parks, so seen the standard elk/bison/moose/bighorn sheep/pronghorn/all deers, most pretty close

Saw these crazy things in NM on the side of the road while i was working, pulled over to look at them, got within 15/20 feet. Dont care about humans at all. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oryx

had multiple tarantulas and scorpions in my house when i lived in AZ. Snakes in the backyard too, bobcats lived in the front yard

Gators and giant snakes in LA

ive had alot of animal experiences, haha

Seen lots of brown bears, grizzly's and black bears.

Saw about 30 grizzly's fishing in a river on a drive up to Alaska during spawning season. Water Buffalo are pretty crazy as well, and I've seen lots of elk, deer....moose are very impressive as well, as are mountain goats.

swam with reef sharks and stingrays on lots of dives....including a school of barracuda about 5 feet away from me when I was in australia. hopefully will be able to swim with some Hammerhead's soon.

Back