The Most Impressive Animal You've Seen in Real-Life (not in a zoo)

A Blue Whale. I doubt I will ever see anything as impressive!

I was hoping someone would say this; it was looking at the Wiki article for "blue whale" that inspired me to make this thread. :icon_lol:

Probably a bald eagle. I worked in the Alaskan Gulf for a while, and bald eagles were everywhere. I'm from the northeast, so it was pretty crazy.

I'm not one to go out experience wilderness but I have seen a few coyotes in my life.
coyote6.jpg

Saw plenty of Gators when I went to the Everglades, though I suppose that kinda counts as a zoo.

Since zoos don't count I can't include all the lemurs and stuff I worked with on work experience :mad:

Recently saw a couple of Shire Horses again near where I live for some show or other. Good lord them things are big, I mean i'm 6'2 and I have to look UP to look them in the eye :eek:

But the most impressive animal i've seen is the 3 legged cat that lives nearby, missing one of the rear legs and can still jump up a 10 foot wall with ease.

I have seen some huge deer pretty up close. Back in college my friend and I were smoking a joint in the woods. We hear something close to us in the woods and like 20 feet directly in front of us walks out a HUGE buck with giant antlers. I grew up in an area that had tons of deer so I have seen a lot of deer and this was probably top 5 biggest I have ever seen in my life. We were sitting on these big rocks so we got up on top of them to appear bigger because we both got a little freaked out...lol, the joint probably had something to do with that though. But when you are that close to a big ass deer it is intimidating. The chance of getting attacked probably sits at about 0 but if by some chance that deer did attack you, you are FUCKED. There is no way you are fighting some freak deer and winning.

I saw an albino deer once.

An albino deer used to live in my backyard. I swear the other deer thought it was a deer god or something. I saw it, and then when it ran off like 20 other deer followed him. Ridiculous. It wasn't completely white...it had some spots on it kind of like a dalmation.

There were these wild Turkeys that used to go up to out sliding door and knock on it when I was growing up. Not really impressive but unusual.

I don't know about most impressive, but it was very odd and interesting to see a large beaver crossing the street one house over in the middle of the suburbs.

I saw a whale shark diving off of Thailand one time. Probably the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life.

Haven't seen many animals like but I saw a bunch of Elephants in Thailand. I got to feed and pet a smaller one and it made me feel pretty beta. There were a bunch of others which were freaking massive. It was definitely a different feeling, seeing them irl rather than on the telly

some brown bears and mountain goats in the Yukon. but i was on a tour bus and saw them through my window. still cool.

Crocodiles, Blue whales, Orca, Wolves, Hyenas, Black Bears, Grizzlies, Deer, Elk, Moose, Mountain Lions, Mountain Goats.

I used to be a tour guide.

Got really baked at a party and met a guy who owned one of these illegally.
Alligator2.jpg

I played with it. Scary motherfucker.

My buddy also owns a defanged one of these.
eastern_diamondback_rattlesnake.jpg

I don't know about most impressive, but it was very odd and interesting to see a large beaver crossing the street one house over in the middle of the suburbs.

Keep a distance. Those things can fuck you up.

Saw a wildcat when I was backpacking deep in the Los Padres Nat'l Forest. Crazy. Glad I didn't have a closer encounter, honestly.

I saw Best Pal, Giacamo, Barbaro, and Charismatic (among others) run when I was a kid. More recently I saw Zenyatta run. She was eff'n amazing. Gawddam, it was brilliant.

(edit to ad: I've seen & avoided a sh!teton of rattlers. Maybe it's a SlowCal thing?)

We went snorkling in Pensacola once and these dolphins came up to us , that was the coolest animal I've seen face to face and not in captivity.

195.jpg

Too close.

This.

This mama moose has a vendetta against my dog. She tried to kill her once and now I always randomly find her right outside my dining room window looking in during the winter.

Saw a black bear once too.

Back