The Most Impressive Animal You've Seen in Real-Life (not in a zoo)

10.jpg

white rhino while on horse back safari in africa,swimming with sharks on my honeymoon in australia,cant understand why the exwife gave me a 2 pound steak to put in my wet suit before i dived.

I was snorkeling and feeding tropical fish in Kialokakui Bay on the big island and there was a wolf eel right below. I swam down to within about six feet from it. Awesome creature.

I've seen black bears while camping in the sequoias.

Just last weekend me and the family were driving to my in-laws and I saw what I thought was a coyote cross the road in front of us. Then three more smaller ones. Turned out to be a bobcat and her three kittens. Kids yelled at me because I almost hit the last one.

I was at the in-laws once when a young rattle snake started cruising up to the family on the grass. I chopped him with a shovel.

Oh, yeah! I've seen foxes, too! Not as up-close as the copper head, though.

Where are you located? We have loads of foxes and they aren't an impressive tging to see here, snakes on the other hand are rare to see

on a canoe trip in Ontario we set up camp for the night on a rock clearing, as soon as we pulled up on shore a deer started running towards us and then turned around back into the forest. one of my buddies said "wow it looked like it was running from something".

sure enough 30 seconds later a cougar came out towards us with his shoulders hunched like it was stalking for prey. It came towards us a bit, and turned around before it got too close. Rarely would a cougar ever attack a group of 3 men but that defenseless "what if" feeling was a bit frightening nonetheless. I've seen many more animals but usually from a vehicle or some type of protection

Lots of black bears in the area too, but they will never attack unless their young is threatened. A friend of mine woke up to a black bear licking his toes camping one morning

195.jpg

Too close.

Yup.

Although I'm not sure I'd call it "impressive". Unless as in "impressively misassembled". Seriously, the moose is one ugly, weird-looking animal. Even its behaviour is slightly retarded.

It is hard to narrow it down, but gators can be pretty intimidating when you're on foot and not used to them and bears when you're on foot get the heart pumping. I almost got trampled by a moose one time, when they rear up on their back legs it is pretty impressive. Even when you are in your car if you find yourself in a herd of buffalo you can't help but admire how powerful they are.

There are a ton since I went to Africa for a few weeks but the most surprising was actually the hyena. You truly don't get to appreciate the size of these animals on tv since you usually see them either by themselves or next to lions but they are fucking huge.

Evey night after dinner at the Masai Mara lodge, they take all the scraps from the meat out in a trash can to a spot on a platform. All you can see is glowing eyes and constant yelps. Once they dump the scraps, the guys don't even get 5 feet away before you see hyena after hyena hauling ass to get their fill.

It was most violent, blood thirsty carnage I've ever seen in the animal world. The craziest part was that all of a sudden you start seeing jackal and mongoose coming up and snatching pieces. Then all of a sudden, a little black domesticated cat comes strolling up with absolutely no fear at all and grabs a piece. He comes back and a hyena got a little too close and the fucker actually swiped at its nose lol. It was the biggest boss moment I've seen from an animal in real life

I crept up on a white tail deer when I was a kid. It looked massive at the time.

Pictures taken by the passenger in a vehicle I was driving:

pang.JPG

pang+wave.JPG

Oddly, that makes three of us. I've also seen an albino baboon. I'll see if I can scavenge the old photos.

What in the fuck is that?!

A bat, I see them flying a lot but this one was sitting on the floor in my basement. When I went to capture it in a bucket it didn't try to fly away or anything. It must have been retarded or injured or something. I took it and threw it in the woods.

Another time I saw a red trail hawk, again not so weird to see flying, but this time me and a friend of mine were sitting on a log in the woods getting high when a squirrel came jumping out of a tree and when it hit the ground it took of running. Right behind it was a red tail hawk that missed the squirrel stopped looked at us then took off. It was fuckin awesome.

I'm going on an airboat tour in the Bayou soon so I am hoping my answer after that will be something crazy.

gators dont even bother me anymore...i see them.all the time

A Blue Whale. I doubt I will ever see anything as impressive!

When I visited Rhode Island I was shocked to see flocks of wild turkey just roaming around. They are something else up close.

Probably the bear I saw when visiting some friends in Newfoundland. We were sitting out on the back deck when the bear lumbered up to about 12' from us, sniffed around a little bit then kept on his merry way. I have a very terrifying memory of seeing a huge whale tail sticking up out of the water when I was a kid. I was 8 or 9 at the time and I went out in a small boat with my buddy and his father. I remember my friend saying "look at that" and turning my head I saw this giant dark tail about 20' away and I absolutely freaked out. Took me years to be able to get into a boat after that.

Black bears in Newfoundland are pretty harmless, leave em alone and they should be alright. See them all the time at dumps and shit.
Pretty sure when i was fishing one time there was a moose across the pond giving birth. She kept laying down getting up and laying down and getting up and there was a red fox lurking around that she would scare away every now then but he wouldn't go far it was pretty cool.

Back