The most important skill in MMA.

Oh, damn.

To be honest, I didn't know takedowns were involved in BJJ.

There are no indigenous takedowns in BJJ. Maia just happens to have excellent wrestling and, in this .gif, nails a slick throw against Chael "Notoriously Inept at BJJ" Sonnen.

Why are people acting like Krav Maga is a TMA?

It's a military hand-to-hand art. Something like Krav Maga is hardly even a style unto itself. It's basically just an amalgam of other arts that work in hand-to-hand situations. I doubt training Krav Maga is all that different from going to a normal jiu jitsu school that also happens to have boxing and wrestling classes aside from a bigger focus on real-world situations.

As to the question, I'd say it's wrestling. Even the non-wrestlers at the top have heavily focused on upping their wrestling. Aldo is actually a very solid wrestler at this point and Pettis is fairly decent. Anderson was mediocre at it, but with his loss, you pretty much have no bad wrestlers at #1 in any weight class.

recovery and heart i guess
the ability to get saved by the bell or dazed and still come back strong as ever if not moreso

There are no indigenous takedowns in BJJ.

Umm... yes there are. BJJ matches always start on their feet (at least in tournaments). How do you think they get to the ground if there are no takedowns? Even a guard-pull is a form of takedown, and that is definitely not the only takedown taught in BJJ.

Why are people acting like Krav Maga is a TMA?

It's a military hand-to-hand art. Something like Krav Maga is hardly even a style unto itself. It's basically just an amalgam of other arts that work in hand-to-hand situations. I doubt training Krav Maga is all that different from going to a normal jiu jitsu school that also happens to have boxing and wrestling classes aside from a bigger focus on real-world situations.

Krav is great, if team of Palestinian extremists are attacking you with knives and you need to disable their eyes and testicles, STAT. When a collegiate-calibre wrestler or a skilled boxer is standing in front of you, you're officially facing a set of problems by which Krav is doctrinally not concerned.

Skillwise, it's still BJJ.

Here's why:

- The BJJ skillset encompasses most of the wrestling skillset, including leg takedowns and throws. I just trained double leg takedowns with my BJJ coach last week.

- Superior grappling + submissions usually beats striking alone (see Couture vs. Toney if you really want to debate this)

People miss this because collegiate and olympic wrestlers tend to be way better at takedowns than BJJ fighters, but that's just because they focus on it more.

Umm... yes there are. BJJ matches always start on their feet (at least in tournaments). How do you think they get to the ground if there are no takedowns? Even a guard-pull is a form of takedown, and that is definitely not the only takedown taught in BJJ.

They're taught in BJJ gyms, but they did not originate in BJJ. "Indigenous" was the salient point. Also, guard pulling is not a takedown.

If a BJJ player takes down his opponent, he's using a supplemental skill to do it.

They're taught in BJJ, but they did not originate in BJJ. "Indigenous" was the salient point. Also, guard pulling is not a takedown.

If a BJJ player takes down his opponent, he's using a supplemental skill to do it.

I don't think you can call something supplemental that is taught in the normal course of learning a discipline. It doesn't matter where a technique originated, if it is regularly taught within a discipline, then it is a part of that discipline.

And I disagree that pulling guard is not a takedown. If your goal is to get the fight to the ground, and pulling guard accomplishes that, you have taken your opponent to the ground, where you wanted the fight to take place. In scoring formats it may not be scored as a takedown, but from a practical standpoint, if I want to keep a fight standing and you successfully pull guard on me, you have taken me down.

A decent manager who cares about you as a human being more than getting his cut of your meager pay and tells you when you're not making enough money to justify the health risk.

Not having to check leg kicks > checking leg kicks. A handful of guys in the UFC leg kick correctly. Against the overwhelming majority who don't, guys should press forward and counter.

Maybe I should have said, defending against leg kicks.

I was gonna post "Striking Defense".. but I thought it was too general.

(BTW people saying 'Wrestling' or 'BJJ", those are entire disciplines they're not individual skills; people are being too general).

Maybe I should have said, defending against leg kicks.

I was gonna post "Striking Defense".. but I thought it was too general.

(BTW people saying 'Wrestling' or 'BJJ", those are disciplines not just skills, people being too general).

Good point about over-generalization. Makes the question a lot trickier. Maybe something to do with clinch fighting or TDD?

It's hard to say which is the most important skill in MMA because you need to utilize a variety of techniques to be successful. I guess "well-roundedness" is important, to me.

Or, you can always go with:

spinjutsu
Kd9Kl.gif

How about gameplanning and adjusting tactics during the fight? is that considered a skill? If so its gotta be one of the most important individual skills to have.

Healthy knees, motivation and being broke.

Back