Opinion The Most Important Issue Facing Us

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
This woman just came to my door and asked me what was the number one issue facing us in Georgia. I said, "nuclear war," to which they acted shocked I'd give such an off the wall answer.

I bring this up here because I know y'all are mostly worried about police killings, cancel culture, wokeness, preventing reparations by undercutting CRT, advocating for AR-15 open carry for 18 year olds, abortion, chicks with dicks and so on, but you must certainly think that the number one issue facing us is nuclear war.

We are in a proxy war with one nuclear power and in a political alliance against another which is much more powerful and much more thin skinned than the prior.

This woman just came to my door and asked me what was the number one issue facing us in Georgia. I said, "nuclear war," to which they acted shocked I'd give such an off the wall answer.

I bring this up here because I know y'all are mostly worried about police killings, cancel culture, wokeness, preventing reparations by undercutting CRT, advocating for AR-15 open carry for 18 year olds, abortion, chicks with dicks and so on, but you must certainly think that the number one issue facing us is nuclear war.

We are in a proxy war with one nuclear power and in a political alliance against another which is much more powerful and much more thin skinned than the prior.
What was her response? I assume she only asked you to give her an opportunity to tell you what is her #1 concern.

I would say the number one issue is that most in the first world are completely clueless how shitty it is in most other places and have somehow convinced themselves that they have it tough cause life requires them to put in real effort if they wish to accomplish something.

Nuclear threat is real as well but one that the average Joe can do absolutely nothing about. Ya everyday people need to focus on the things we can change, and stress less about the things we can’t in my opinion.

That's a tough one. I'm tempted to say something like nuclear war but that's a sort of maybe thing. I daresay the most important thing is the economy - either that or social cohesion/cultural homogeneity. Bear with me...

You go back 2500 years and read Aristotle and as he's busy talking about the prime role of the philosopher in a society, he also spends a lot of time talking about general order of society, right from the slaves up to the top. He does this because he recognized that what he valued most highly, the philosophers doing their philosophy thing, had a stable resource base as a precondition. Whatever a society values, and whatever type of society it is, all the shit we think is important relies on having a stable way for the society to acquire and distribute resources, because whatever thing we really value is a luxury commodity that is only available when that stable base of resources exists. This is what people lose sight of, so often, today, as they're so disconnected from the means by which a society acquires and distributes material wealth - that whatever you think is really important doesn't exist without that stable resource base. If you ignore the economy, or sacrifice it too much and too often, to whatever you value most, you'll lose what you value most as a society. It's a strange conundrum, but it's easy to fall into - and I think we're falling into it with our knee-jerk demonization of the system which has created enough largesse for us to have the luxury of sitting here and blathering about pronouns or some such shit.

The flip side of this is cultural homogeneity, cohesion, and agreement. Once you have that stable resource base, if the culture doesn't have some sort of common value system, the society will fracture floating on top of the stable resource base, and the resources won't matter much.

In the first case it's the kid looking in at toys in the store because he doesn't have any money and can't buy the thing he wants, and in the second the kid is in the store with the money but doesn't know what he wants. The end result, in each case, is the kid not getting what they want. So yeah - economy and cultural cohesion are two monumental problems for Western culture right now, and it's not exactly something that we aren't aware of. People have been talking about this stuff for millennia, and we've clearly lost some of those lessons.

I agree, all these knuckleheads calling for escalation with Russia are stupid. Ukraine ain’t worth dying for ya dummies!

Did she make sure that you understood that inflation is 100% the fault of Biden and his corrupt son Hunter? Oh and if WW3 happens it's because of Hillary's emails.
[<diva2]

What's the point of voting if the president has no control over a ruined economy and potential nuclear war? Jesus Christ, did you actually vote because of mean tweets?

Back