The Mortal Kombat movie's 20th anniversary is today.

By the standards of videogame adaptations, the first one was a freaking masterpiece. Remember that this movie came out not that long after Super Mario Bros. and Street Fighter. With those "things" fresh in out preteen minds it is only understandable that we would remember Mortal Kombat fondly.

plus, when you compare to most American, 90s, martial arts films with JCVD, Seagal, Norris, etc... it isn't any worse. It is the Martial arts movie genre in general, not just video game adaptation.

Great film. Great song..BUT Sonya Blade's fight scenes were hard to watch.

$_35.JPG

All up in the walkman

"Test your might ..... Test your might .... MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!"

Great song!

I loved this movie when I was a kid, my friend and I saw it in theaters 3 times. Too bad I was too broke to play the game.

The movie is also quite quotable.

'Those were $500 sunglasses, asshole.'

'I don't think so.'

'I've studied all your moves.' 'Yeah? Study this!'

'Treasure these moments, as if they were your last.'

'Just a little tournament, they said. Good for the career, they said. Yeah right.'

Shang Tsung: Challenging Goro eh? You weren't supposed to fight him now. Are you THAT eager to die?
Cage: I'm not the one who's gonna die.
Shang Tsung: I see. You're very foolish. A true sign of a hero. You want to protect your friends, but make no mistake; they too will die, after Goro destroys you.
Cage: So what's the problem?

Missed the best one.

Classic movie. Just showed you'd to my young son. He loved it. Yes Sonya was the weakest link

Bridgette Wilson-Sampras was the weak point? Sorry but when she scissor kicks Kano and you see her funbags dangling there. That used to be an insta-pause/fap moment for me as a teen.

My mom took me to the theaters to watch it. I was about 11. Fucking Bad Ass. I still remember teenagers yelling FUCK YEA and being rowdy as hell. My mom just laughing like damn Kids love this. When Scorpion came out I was like "Mom I need that costume for Halloween, He is soo cool". My mom just pat me on the head and said sure. Good fucking memories mangs. Gonna Go watch it now Dat Nostalgia.

Bridgette Wilson-Sampras was the weak point? Sorry but when she scissor kicks Kano and you see her funbags dangling there. That used to be an insta-pause/fap moment for me as a teen.
Exactly. Forget fighting technical prowess, she was the dream girl for a young 12 year old.

My mom took me to the theaters to watch it. I was about 11. Fucking Bad Ass. I still remember teenagers yelling FUCK YEA and being rowdy as hell. My mom just laughing like damn Kids love this. When Scorpion came out I was like "Mom I need that costume for Halloween, He is soo cool". My mom just pat me on the head and said sure. Good fucking memories mangs. Gonna Go watch it now Dat Nostalgia.

I_5bbacf_2043745.jpg

plus, when you compare to most American, 90s, martial arts films with JCVD, Seagal, Norris, etc... it isn't any worse. It is the Martial arts movie genre in general, not just video game adaptation.

I remember most of those 90s movies being R and way more brutal than anything in Mortal Kombat. The movies failed at the games' main selling point. Blood and violence.

Mortal kombat is one of the best video game movies ever. They got it right with the first one.

I remember most of those 90s movies being R and way more brutal than anything in Mortal Kombat. The movies failed at the games' main selling point. Blood and violence.

Yeah, but Robin Shou choreographed martial arts fights better than 99% of Hollywood at the time, the ones he did, Scorpion vs Cage and Reptile vs Kang were the best in the movie. They still hold up today, which is far better than say Bloodsport. Love Bloodsport but they taunted and posed after every strike they landed nearly.

Back