The Morning

jamesmiller14

Hoosier Daddy
@Brown
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked and answered before. A little background on myself. I trained MMA from March 2008 to August of this year. In that time I evolved as a fighter substantially. I had never been much of an athlete in high school so I hit a competition curve when i made my mma debut, started 0-3, started to train with a real team, went on a 4-0 run, my career is probably over now at 5-5. So fighting trained mixed martial artists is probably not going to happen but I feel I have the skills to defend myself against the majority if need be.
Now, when I wake up in the morning my breakfast is a bananna and bottle of water before coffee. Now other than weight lifting, or any running I might decide to do, what are some things around the house I can do to feel strong and ready to go when I leave for class/work in the morning? Like ok I know some of ya can do 150 pushups, but what is an acceptable amount to do in the morning? I've got abs on lock.. Anything else I should be doing? 30 mins tops.

For me in terms of loosening up and awakening my body. Stretching of different positions with a broomstick especially at the shoulders is good. I like to some paused bottom position OH squats to warm me up and really feel the position out. Then I will continue by doing a few sets of those.

I mean that right there loosens me up greatly, as for exercises that I have heard work well to warm up the body and some that I used to do well.
-OH Squats (paused and complete and full bottom positioning)
-Jumping Squats
-Wide Hand Stance Press ups
-Plyometric Press ups
-Chin-ups alternating the next morning with pull-ups

Do you ever feel it's more of a pain in the ass to do a good stretch in the morning? Maybe it's lack of motiviation because on a fight day i would be ready for a killer stretch as soon as my feet hit the floor

Not necessarily for me at least. I have always enjoyed stretching in the morning the benefits for me in feeling loose and limber override and lack of motivation. I just focus on the thought of my body being set and ready for my day's challenges and it makes me want to do it no issues.

Also as you stated a stretch on a fight day first thing in the morning would definitely be a idea. You are allowing you muscles from the first conscious movement in the morning to be a relaxing stretch session. It helps reduce stiffness from a previous workout, and again prepare the body for the day's challenges which on fight day would be quite large.

how about eating a real breakfast?

Back