1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

The Morning

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by jamesmiller14, Sep 30, 2010.

1. jamesmiller14

jamesmiller14 Hoosier Daddy

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before. A little background on myself. I trained MMA from March 2008 to August of this year. In that time I evolved as a fighter substantially. I had never been much of an athlete in high school so I hit a competition curve when i made my mma debut, started 0-3, started to train with a real team, went on a 4-0 run, my career is probably over now at 5-5. So fighting trained mixed martial artists is probably not going to happen but I feel I have the skills to defend myself against the majority if need be.
    Now, when I wake up in the morning my breakfast is a bananna and bottle of water before coffee. Now other than weight lifting, or any running I might decide to do, what are some things around the house I can do to feel strong and ready to go when I leave for class/work in the morning? Like ok I know some of ya can do 150 pushups, but what is an acceptable amount to do in the morning? I've got abs on lock.. Anything else I should be doing? 30 mins tops.

2. ExtremeStandard

ExtremeStandard Yellow Belt

For me in terms of loosening up and awakening my body. Stretching of different positions with a broomstick especially at the shoulders is good. I like to some paused bottom position OH squats to warm me up and really feel the position out. Then I will continue by doing a few sets of those.

I mean that right there loosens me up greatly, as for exercises that I have heard work well to warm up the body and some that I used to do well.
    -OH Squats (paused and complete and full bottom positioning)
    -Jumping Squats
    -Wide Hand Stance Press ups
    -Plyometric Press ups
    -Chin-ups alternating the next morning with pull-ups

3. jamesmiller14

jamesmiller14 Hoosier Daddy

Do you ever feel it's more of a pain in the ass to do a good stretch in the morning? Maybe it's lack of motiviation because on a fight day i would be ready for a killer stretch as soon as my feet hit the floor

4. ExtremeStandard

ExtremeStandard Yellow Belt

Not necessarily for me at least. I have always enjoyed stretching in the morning the benefits for me in feeling loose and limber override and lack of motivation. I just focus on the thought of my body being set and ready for my day's challenges and it makes me want to do it no issues.

Also as you stated a stretch on a fight day first thing in the morning would definitely be a idea. You are allowing you muscles from the first conscious movement in the morning to be a relaxing stretch session. It helps reduce stiffness from a previous workout, and again prepare the body for the day's challenges which on fight day would be quite large.

5. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

Pavel's Super Joints routine.

6. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

how about eating a real breakfast?

7. southpawdude

southpawdude White Belt

Second that.

Maybe try some yoga in the morning. You can create a good mix of stretching, balance, and warming up with different yoga poses.

8. immovablestone

immovablestone Purple Belt

That's all that matters, broski...

Seriously though, just stretch and do as many furious burpees as you can in 20 minutes, done.

Afterward, eat a real breakfast.