The Million Wrestling March

The Colonel

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So I was listening to Monday's edition of Beatdown today and one of the topics was about how both Arizona State University as well as the University of Oregon had canceled their wrestling programs. Ever since Title IX was started in 1972 hundreds of wrestling programs have been cut all across the country.

I never wrestled (I kick myself in the ass for not doing so everyday) but instead started doing BJJ when I was in highschool. A lot of my friends were wrestlers though, and later as I got heavier into grappling and MMA I ended up learning much more and I feel, to say the least, is that wrestling is one of the best disciplines out there.

It really bothers me that so many programs are getting cut across the country. Wrestling is an International sport and as such offers opportunities to meet and compete in a sporting atmosphere with different people and cultures from around the world. But on a more personal level, let's face it, not all kids want to be in a team sport and they should have an outlet to excel athletically without being told they "aren't a team player". I think about this often with my 7 year old nephew who loves grappling but sucks at basketball. What happens years from now when he wants to wrestle in college only there aren't any opportunities for him?

I ended up finding this video on youtube where a wrestling coach is proposing a "Million Wrestling March", calling for wrestlers to come together and meet in Washington, D.C. to make their presence and their dissatisfaction known. I think its an excellent idea and I, while having not wrestled but was involved with BJJ, judo and submission wrestling since I was 16, plan to support him.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Z4tKbFpsC4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Z4tKbFpsC4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Bumping for grassroots activism. I'd be down.

Bump for support - I wish I took it up in high school myself. STICKY PLEASE!

p.s all MMA fans, BJJ, Judo and Sambo players should be involved in this too. Time to show some grappling solidarity!!!

I think this is a great idea. Joining the wrestling team in high school was one of the best things I ever did as a kid. I'll definetly be there on October 16th, 2008.

Dont discount MMA and grappling promotions trying to get some exposure.

Maybe someone with some ties can contact some of these outfits and let them know how much that would mean to the community.

Also, Love him or hate him Dana White could bring some much needed exposure to this issue while at the same time getting his name out there to the wrestling and grappling community een more.

I will do everything in my power to get myself, my wrestlers , my fellow coaches out. This would be an amazing thing if we could get a million wrestlers to march on Washington.

But on a more personal level, let's face it, not all kids want to be in a team sport and they should have an outlet to excel athletically without being told they "aren't a team player".

QTF team sports suck. Unless the individual is nasty at the sport they don't shine or matter too much. When you're on the mat you're on it alone.

Back