The MilkMan delivers

MilkManUK

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Due to a change in my training aims, this is my 2nd training log on Sherdog.

My 1st was primarily running SS 3 times a week with a little boxing or Thai Boxing once in a while. I really enjoyed SS and the gains experienced from it, so don't want to stop completely.

I have a fight scheduled for November, so the plan is to drop SS to 2 sessions a week and of course up my boxing / MT training, along with a little running each week aswell.

I don't have to worry about making weight, so can ensure I am still getting plenty of food which I am hoping will enable me to keep up with the volume of training.

Schedule will look something like this:

Boxing / MT - 3 times a week
SS - 2 times a week
Running - 3 times a week, probably on the same days as boxing / MT.

I work shifts so have to fit training in around my work, so each week may differ slightly. I'm expecting my SS progression to slow down (not that it was that great anyway!) but hopefully will keep what strength I have going into the fight.

Wish me luck, first post will be tomorrow!

*****UPDATE: Running 5/3/1 four times a week since start of Jan 2012 and loving it. Have not trained formally in Thai since late October / early November 2011, just a bit of bagwork & padwork here and there.*****

Current 1RMs
Squat: 185kg
Deadlift: 202.5kg
Bench: 120kg
Strict Overhead Press: 82.5kg
Push Press: 100kg

Bodyweight: 93kgs / 207lbs
Height: Just under 5'10

Last edited:
meh, unless it includes illegitimate children it gets a B+.

I don't think you guys have milkmen in the States, so it's not going to have the same resonance. So in case you didn't know, when I was a kid, almost everyone in the country got milk delivered to the front of their door every morning like this:

Milkman.gif

The practice still goes on in some areas, but not many, as I understand it. The milkman is a massive part of British culture- you see the milkman appearing in so many old British TV shows (including at least one Monty Python sketch). Anyway, when I was a kid, there were a lot of discussion along the lines of "The milkman didn't deliver the milk yesterday" or "The milkman doesn't deliver to this area of town". That's why the log title, "the milkman delivers", is fantastic.

Sorry milkman- hope you don't mind me using your log to educate American teenagers about the intricacies of UK milk distribution.

oh, thanks for the trivia jaunty. you f*Ckers are so spoiled. milk getting delivered ? i hate you brits. now i want milk men.

Haha thanks Jaunty, and no problem, it seems to be a dying trade over here although they are trying to revive it, now calling it "Milk & More" although can't see it taking off to be honest.
Anyway, back on topic...SS workout "A" later today.

New name, new training log, same crappy bench press.

Starting Strength Workout "A"

Squat

Warmup Sets
2 x 5 - 20kg
1 x 5 - 40kg
1 x 3 - 70kg
1 x 2 - 80kg

Working Sets
3 x 5 - 117.5kg

Bench

Warmup Sets
2 x 5 - 20kg
1 x 5 - 40kg
1 x 3 - 60kg
1 x 2 - 70kg

Working Sets
2 x 5 - 90kg, 1 x 4 - 90kg

Deadlift

Warmup Sets
2 x 5 - 60kg
1 x 3 - 70kg
1 x 2 - 120kg

Working Sets
1 x 2 - 155kg....did squeeze 3 but didn't really get the full lock out on the 3rd so will be honest and just claim 2.

Thoughts - relatively pleased with the squats, I have filmed them for form checks, will upload when I get home, deadlifts I was a bit disappointed about, but I was feeling a bit weak by the end of the session and haven't eaten that much today, am fixing that now though :icon_chee, less said about bench the better...

I don't think you guys have milkmen in the States, so it's not going to have the same resonance. So in case you didn't know, when I was a kid, almost everyone in the country got milk delivered to the front of their door every morning like this:

Milkman.gif

The practice still goes on in some areas, but not many, as I understand it. The milkman is a massive part of British culture- you see the milkman appearing in so many old British TV shows (including at least one Monty Python sketch). Anyway, when I was a kid, there were a lot of discussion along the lines of "The milkman didn't deliver the milk yesterday" or "The milkman doesn't deliver to this area of town". That's why the log title, "the milkman delivers", is fantastic.

Sorry milkman- hope you don't mind me using your log to educate American teenagers about the intricacies of UK milk distribution.

LOL - I get milk delivered every Monday morning :)

LOL - I get milk delivered every Monday morning :)

It's good to know that the tradition is not exclusive to the UK. But in the UK, it was every day except Sunday. And I really can't overstate the prominence of the milkman in the national psychology. Hence stuff like this:

Starting Strength Workout "A"

Squat

Warmup Sets
2 x 5 - 20kg
1 x 5 - 40kg
1 x 3 - 70kg
1 x 2 - 80kg

Working Sets
3 x 5 - 117.5kg

Bench

Warmup Sets
2 x 5 - 20kg
1 x 5 - 40kg
1 x 3 - 60kg
1 x 2 - 70kg

Working Sets
2 x 5 - 90kg, 1 x 4 - 90kg

Deadlift

Warmup Sets
2 x 5 - 60kg
1 x 3 - 70kg
1 x 2 - 120kg

Working Sets
1 x 2 - 155kg....did squeeze 3 but didn't really get the full lock out on the 3rd so will be honest and just claim 2.

Thoughts - relatively pleased with the squats, I have filmed them for form checks, will upload when I get home, deadlifts I was a bit disappointed about, but I was feeling a bit weak by the end of the session and haven't eaten that much today, am fixing that now though :icon_chee, less said about bench the better...

Those are great lifts for someone who has been out of it for a while- better than mine in every single lift. And the bench looks proportional to me- IMO if you're squatting 120kg, you really don't want to be benching more than 90kg. Many people do have benches as strong or stronger than their squats, but it is odd, really, considering the muscles invovled.

Those are great lifts for someone who has been out of it for a while- better than mine in every single lift. And the bench looks proportional to me- IMO if you're squatting 120kg, you really don't want to be benching more than 90kg. Many people do have benches as strong or stronger than their squats, but it is odd, really, considering the muscles invovled.

Thanks for the kind words and confidence boost, but I must admit I have not been out of it for a while...I did have another log recently and was running Starting Strength 3 x a week from mid June until about a week ago when I learned of this upcoming fight in November. My username has changed, and my goals, so I thought a new log would be appropriate.

Bit of boxing padwork today, just a few rounds to get the blood pumping and to break a light sweat, I need to get my left hook tighter so have been working on that during shadowboxing and also against the pads.

Nothing too strenuous. Will probably head for a steam and sauna followed by some cold showers shortly to relax.

Yeah, we definitely had the milkman here too. In fact, my sister tells me I'm the spitting image of our old milkman.

lol. I wouldn't call it crappy by any stretch. Good luck in your fight in Nov. Is it MT, boxing, or something else?

BTW, how did you manage to change your name?

Been away for most of the week in Cornwall, south west England. Been working so much recently so it was good to get some rest and relaxation in, and spend some time with the family. Purposely didn't do any training, but instead drank a few nice ales and ate some Cornish pasties.

Back home now so have done a bit of gripwork today, along with watching both the Scotland and England games in the Rugby World Cup:

HG100 x 10 each hand
HG100 x 10 inverted each hand
HG100 x 10 each hand
HG100 x 10 inverted each hand
HG150 X 8 each hand
HG150 X 8 inverted each hand
HG200 X 5 right hand
HG200 x 4 left hand
HG200 x 5 right hand
HG200 x 3 left hand

Just letting my lunch settle and will head of for a 5km run.

scoopj - the fight will be either under K-1 rules or boxing, I have said I'd do either, so just waiting for confirmation. Oh and I had to speak very politely to a nice mod to request the change of username ;-)

P.S. Will be updating the beer log soon...have made a few new purchases.

5km run completed in just under 30 minutes. Just took it easy, as I haven't run at all since I did a 10km race back in May (think it was May).

Plan on running again tomorrow, another 5km.

5km run today, taking it easy still (don't have much choice if I want to finish it!), finished in 27 minutes, so a little quicker than on Saturday.

Heavygrips grip work.
HG100 X 8 both hands
HG100 X 8 inverted both hands
HG150 X 8 both hands
HG150 X 8 inverted both hands
HG200 X 5 both hands
HG200 X 5 inverted right hand only
HG200 X 4 inverted left hand only
HG200 X 5 right hand only
HG200 x 3 left hand only

MT Padwork & sparring due tomorrow morning.

Padwork and sparring today, with another heavyweight from the Thai boxing club.

Did 3 x 3 minutes on the pads, just boxing, but with the last round we incorporated knees aswell.

4 x 3 minutes sparring, I was trying to focus on my head movement (I have to as I'm short) and getting inside range to throw my own combos. Relatively happy with the session today, nothing too taxing, but good to get a few rounds of sparring in the cage in.

Tomorrow should be interesting, I'm planning on getting a SS session in during the day and then 2hrs of MT during the evening - bagwork, padwork, sparring etc. Will make sure I eat plenty in the day to fuel myself.

Did not get my SS session in today, work was really busy and the boss took me out for lunch, so did not get to train during my lunchbreak as usual.

MT tonight though. Felt awful and sluggish during the first hour and a half, putting it down to eating crap food, drinking Guinness during lunch and not drinking any water throughout the day as I normally would.

Thankfully I came to life during the last hour which was sparring. Worked pressure drills where we would just cover up and get used to being put under pressure in the corner, getting hit, and obviously slipping / blocking punches and checking kicks where possible while under fire. Then worked on fighting our way out of the corner during the final 15 seconds of the onslaught. Did a few rounds of this.

Also did a few rounds of body only boxing, which I think is great for conditioning and toughness.

Did a few rounds of boxing, in the pocket only, nothing from a distance, which suits me just fine.

Finished off with a few rounds of full Thai sparring.

Home now and am making sure I am fully re-hydrated and getting some food down me as I am boxing tomorrow daytime....will look to get my SS workout done on Friday and then use the weekend for a couple more 5km runs..

Felt much better today, did around 45 minutes of boxing during my lunch break.

1 minute rest between rounds:

3 x 3 minute rounds on the pads
3 x 3 minute rounds of under pressure boxing sparring
3 x 3 minute rounds of body boxing
1 minute of all out power work on the heavy bag.

Not much strength work going on in here at the moment, will be looking to remedy that tomorrow.

OK..did not remedy the lack of strength training yesterday as a long serving work colleague was leaving so had a few drinks with him at lunchtime instead. For what it was worth, I drank Guinness, so that should contribute to my strength somehow - right?

Did a 6km run today, did not have my watch on to time it but was just trying to get the extra distance in instead of beating time today. Have also done some neck strength work and HeavyGrip work:

HeavyGrip grip work:
HG100 X 8 - both hands
HG100 X 8 - inverted both hands
HG100 X 8 - both hands
HG100 X 8 - inverted both hands
HG150 x 8 - both hands
HG150 x 8 - inverted both hands
HG200 X 3 - both hands
HG200 x 3 - both hands
HG200 x 3 - both hands
HG200 x 3 - both hands
HG200 x 3 - inverted both hands