THE MIKE TYSON DEBATE

Joe Louis won his championship from a guy with about 20 losses......sure he cleaned it up....he also was ouutboxed by a former 140 pounder and k.o'd by an aging 190 pounder......end game concerning Louis

The other guys you stated Never fought all the best guys including Dempsey...Tyson cleaned out the 80's so not sure what youre talking about.! In your world Foreman who loses to little J. young and saved by the bell vs a stiff Lyle is better than a dominant Tyson who actually fought good boxers...but this is typical to the Tyson was not a great posts b/c you got your ideas on someone elses article on bleacher report...FAIL ...."A GREAT" compared to others?.....lmao

We will agree to disagree. I cannot understand your thinking on this anymore then it would appear you of me.

Joe Louis pretty much cleaned out his division on his way to his his first championship. Louis beat 6 former HW champions and 2 of the best LHW of the time period. He was champion for just under 12 years, he defended his title 25 times.
If you are inclined to read this it answers on Jack Johnson better then anything I could write: http://coxscorner.tripod.com/johnson.html
A lot can be said for Jack Dempsey's boxing carer but to keep it short he made many a title defense and 4 of whom were against what many boxing historians consider among the very best of the time in Miske, Carpentier, Fripo and Gibbson . Take who you consider to be the four best title defenses that Tyson made...would anyone truly consider them the best of that time period ?
The George Foreman comment does not even deserve a reply.

If you want to make a case that Johnson would beat Mike Tyson you'll have to use a different source. That's an old article and just one month ago Monte Cox wrote
a new one that basically said that Johnson was limited and would have gotten his behind kicked by both Frazier and Tyson. http://www.boxing.com/why_jack_johnson_is_not_as_great_as_you_were_told.html

Joe Louis won his championship from a guy with about 20 losses......sure he cleaned it up....he also was ouutboxed by a former 140 pounder and k.o'd by an aging 190 pounder......end game!
We will agree to disagree. I cannot understand your thinking on this anymore then it would appear you of me.
Its all in the resumes and certain guys he fought AT the time he fought them..if you cannot see soley based on Louis and then try and put Tyson below him as a great ,I don't know what to tell you ?....I know if you switched opponents around Louis would lose a few and Tyson would demolish everyone he fought...its that simple. you lost basically using coxx's method of madness to begin with, basically pure delusion and wishful thinking backed with no sense of reality with the times as most of his articles consist of.

Last edited:
If you want to make a case that Johnson would beat Mike Tyson you'll have to use a different source. That's an old article and just one month ago Monte Cox wrote
a new one that basically said that Johnson was limited and would have gotten his behind kicked by both Frazier and Tyson. http://www.boxing.com/why_jack_johnson_is_not_as_great_as_you_were_told.html
Can you please quote where in this thread I wrote about making a case for Johnson beating Tyson ? The thread had nothing to do with Tyson VS.

Its all in the resumes and certain guys he fought AT the time he fought them..if you cannot see soley based on Louis and then try and put Tyson below him as a great ,I don't know what to tell you ?....I know if you switched opponents around Louis would lose a few and Tyson would demolish everyone he fought...its that simple.
You do not have to tell me anything. I disagree with you on this subject....for me it's that simple.

In your post that I quoted you clearly compared resumes. The author of that article thinks Johnson's resume wasn't that good and that Johnson hadn't fought such a sophisticated and tough boxer.
He implies that he would lose to Tyson too.

Resumes yes...not which man could beat whom. IMO if you compare every aspect of both fighters resumes from the time they fought in, the quality they faced , their impact to the sport at their respected time periods etc etc then Johnson's resume is better as is his place in boxing greats.

Read the article and the comments below! They might change your view on the subject.

''.but this is typical to the Tyson was not a great posts b/c you got your ideas on someone elses article on bleacher report...FAIL ...."A GREAT" compared to others?.....lmao''

No, I formed this from my own thoughts as a 30 plus year boxing fan.

Good for you. People can change their opinion though when new information or a different take are presented to them.
Cox seems to have changed his own and he is a freaking boxing historian.

Lewis and Bowe weren't top contenders before Tyson went to prison. Holyfield is the only top fighter that Tyson missed out on fighting during his pre-prison career.

Their post-prison fight was very competitive until the mid-point when Tyson faded, which leads me to believe that if they had fought in 91 as planned tyson would have taken it, as he was sharper and in much better physical shape. Holyfield may have rallied late but it wouldn't be enough.

Joe Louis in his prime would have KO'd Tyson in 3 or less. I have been watching old tapes and Louis is very very underrated as a BOXER - and, of course, he had a monster knock out punch.
Ali in his prime would have worn Tyson out - it would be like the Douglas fight.
Everyone else would hit the canvas in the first or second round and hit it hard face first.

At his best Tyson possessed a combination of speed, footwork, and head movement paralleled only by Ali, and I believe that he had the potential to beat any man that's ever laced up a pair of gloves. It's just that though... Potential. He had the potential to be the greatest of all time but not the mental stability.

He was an athletic beast. A knockout king. Genetically engineered for boxing no doubt, no dispute there.

However, reading this thread I came across a lot of "Tyson would have" Ifs + buts, shoulda woulda coulda; Every single boxer could have been a legend, could have defeated so and so, but life did not permit so. Since when was the criteria for ATG based on potential? You apply it to Tyson but never to anyone else. Seems like you just buy into the media hype because he was entertaining and a criminal.

But personally he is the most overrated boxer of all time. Fought chumps and bums of the month and when someone didnt cave in to intimidation he got into bitch fits ala Holyfield/Lewis. Like a previous post related, you rate one based on his opponents, and he never defeated somebody worthwhile to be regarded as somebody worthwhile.

Yea I said it.

''.but this is typical to the Tyson was not a great posts b/c you got your ideas on someone elses article on bleacher report...FAIL ...."A GREAT" compared to others?.....lmao''

No, I formed this from my own thoughts as a 30 plus year boxing fan.
That explains this nonsensical thread even more then ,you're simply the casual delusional nostalgic fan who puts red capes on guys and then hypes up other eras while diminishing another that was better....gotcha! lol

Tyson came along when the heavyweight division wasn't its deepest, but he fought some real good fighters, and fought pretty much all of them. Also, aside from a couple of names that he lost to in the mid 2000's, and the Douglas fight, he only ever lost to the upper tier of talent (Holyfield and Lewis). He was legit but he could never get his act together outside the ring after he became lineal champ. A well-trained Tyson with the trainers he had for most of the 80's (until Don King really got involved) is a danger to ANY heavyweight. Not a sure win, but a damn scary threat.

Joe Louis in his prime would have KO'd Tyson in 3 or less. I have been watching old tapes and Louis is very very underrated as a BOXER - and, of course, he had a monster knock out punch.
Ali in his prime would have worn Tyson out - it would be like the Douglas fight.
Everyone else would hit the canvas in the first or second round and hit it hard face first.
The Tyson who ate 200 punches from Lennox Lewis ,walked through monster puncher Razor Ruddock like he wasnt even there and had to be mugged buy a 230 pounder for 10 while sleep walking in 1990 to finally fall gets k.od by Louis in 3 rounds? smh and lol

Tyson crushes everyone else but somehow the 195 /200 pounds Louis is able to topple him using a lazy jab ,slow footwork while keeping hids lead left down while his right hand is about waist side?The Louis who was dropped by 5"9 extremity poor skilled Gallento among others and even knocked down in rnd one by Braddock and k.od by Shmelling,that is the guy who will stop Tyson ? Is Tyson also wearing 5/6 ounce gloves,because if he is i dont think Louis should show up.

Im a Louis nuthugger and just fucking lmao at this. Probably should take a better look at Tysons chin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back