The Miguel Torres - Demetrious Johnson Robbery

UrbanSavage**

Pepe Silvia
Reaction score
Anyone just catch this fight on the UFC 130 prelims? Seriously, what do you have to do to make it clear to the judges that you're the offensive fighter despite being on your back? Even though Torres was able to sweep Mighty Mouse in rounds 1 and 3 and was constantly going for the finish, he still loses 29-28? At worst, I saw this fight as 30-28 in favor of Torres with the 2nd round being 10-10 (and even that's a stretch, IMO).

Anyway, if it hadn't already been established that the guard is all but dead in MMA, it seems pretty clear now. If you don't finish the fight, you're going to lose even if your opponent wasn't able to do any damage and mounted virtually zero offense. I honestly can't even see how the takedown could be perceived as the round-winning factor in a fight such as this one, as it consistently put Johnson into defensive positions.

Anyone have any thoughts on the fight or the current status of the guard in MMA?

Anyone just catch this fight on the UFC 130 prelims? Seriously, what do you have to do to make it clear to the judges that you're the offensive fighter despite being on your back? Even though Torres was able to sweep Mighty Mouse in rounds 1 and 3 and was constantly going for the finish, he still loses 29-28? At worst, I saw this fight as 30-28 in favor of Torres with the 2nd round being 10-10 (and even that's a stretch, IMO).

Anyway, if it hadn't already been established that the guard is all but dead in MMA, it seems pretty clear now. If you don't finish the fight, you're going to lose even if your opponent wasn't able to do any damage and mounted virtually zero offense. I honestly can't even see how the takedown could be perceived as the round-winning factor in a fight such as this one, as it consistently put Johnson into defensive positions.

Anyone have any thoughts on the fight or the current status of the guard in MMA?

I agree, I don't know how you can by any more offensive than that short of actually submitting. I had a blast watching Miguel and he absolutely won in my book.

What?!?! I took my dog out right after the fight. i thought Torres had it in the bag. He had Johnson in trouble numerous times. Johnson did nothing but take him down and defend

Yeah I had Torres winning that fight via beautiful BJJ.

Miguel got fucked. Johnson got takedowns and did nothing with them. He played defense the minute it hit the ground. Miguel got sweeps, almost subbed him a few times and landed a ton of strikes from the ground. And Johnson gets the W for getting takedowns. Its an absolute joke. Too many UFC fighters fight for decisions and this is a glaring example. Johnson made no attempt to finish ever.

says a lot about miguel's guard that he was out striking johnson from his back. terrible decision.

Despite the terrible decision, I enjoyed seeing the return of Torres' ultra-aggressive guard. He hasn't used it to dominate a fight like that since he won the WEC belt with it.

even the guys on the heavies are massivly giving the fight to miguel... that says a lot.

Fucking robbery, more than robbery, fucking ignorance at his best.

I had miguel winning but there was absolutely no doubt in my mind that he was not going to get the decision.

Yeah, that pretty much confirms that all you have to do is be on top, regardless of damage done. It would have helped Miguel a bit if he didn't get taken down so easy though even if that is where he likes to be.

next thing we know, fightes are training skull endurance, since it really doesnt matter how many strikes you eat, all you have to do is stay on top, hard skull>skills.

It seems like they are judging who's winning the fight while they are standing, but on the mat, it's who's winning the wrestling match. Sucks for Miguel. I'm sure they both know who won the 'fight', and I'm sure Dana does as well.

could not agree more. attacking with subs > defending submissions and not passing guard.

He was able to sweep but he only held position for short periods, the way its seen in mma is the guy in the top position is winning if he stays on top, even though he got swept a good few times johnson ended up on top more often than not., for long periods hence he wins. I'd say at least 10 mins of the fight torres was on his back, but he was almost subbing him, its a tough call with the ruleset.

Unfortunately the guy on top wins -- I don't agree with this, but that's always been the rules.

This is why almost no one pulls guard in MMA.

i thought torres won rounds 1 and 2, and johnson won round 3.

but i wasn't surprised by the decision.

I do think torres was very effective on his back.

but I still give made props to mighty mouse for not getting submitted or damaged. I thought he was in trouble many times but somehow he survived and outwrestled torres which was impressive.

that said, torres won the fight and I was surprised rogan wasn't more biased towards torres.

I had miguel winning but there was absolutely no doubt in my mind that he was not going to get the decision.

this is exactly how i saw it, too. i think mighty mouse had some good escapes though.

Great fight which I thought Torres won.

Back