The Michael Jordan of BJJ?

jordan was a winner. roger is a winner

i agree....but the question was who was the "michael jordan" of jiu jitsu....and didn't marcelo change the game and in turn people mimic his game and game plan to defend against his game (most of the time with little or no success) same as they did jordan...i under stand that people do that with roger also....but its a little different..... that being said i respect roger gracie and i also think it might be a little easier for him due to his size to win open class.....but for jiu jitsu players like marcelo and terere and jacare it is a up hill battle and more of a skill game...actualy im kind of shocked no one mentioned terere.....word on the street is he is pretty good also....lol

Eddie Bravo! Joking joking relax. I say Marcelo or Rickson But neither as dominate over BJJ and MJ over Bball

Noc "The Probationary Gatekeeper" Turno is my vote.

There have been a lot of greats. Drysdale, Marcelo, Arona is still undefeated, Kerr, etc.

If you're going to say that guy who's a step above those guys who are obviously already a step above it has to be Roger. Being the only man to finish all opponents by submission, not to mention the giant names he's tapping out.

Arona is not undefeated in BJJ... I agree with Roger/Rickson.

there is no michael jordan of bjj

NBA and the ibjjf don't even belong in the same fucking sentence.

there is no michael jordan of bjj

NBA and the ibjjf don't even belong in the same fucking sentence.

Take your Ritalin, Beavis! You have some problem with metaphors and similes in general, or just when the NBA and IBJJF are involved? Whoops, I just pust the NBA and the IBJJF in the same fucking sentence! Again!

As for my vote, I would go with Roger, simply because of the "dynasty" of his Mundials and ADCC wins and the Jordan/Bulls dynasty. Or because of the beautiful simplicity of his game, maybe Roger's the Kareem, and Marcelo is the Jordan because what he does seems out of reach of the regular BJJ player, physically.

As for Rickson, I'm not enough of a basketball fan to know a good comparison, so I'd say that all the anecdotes about Rickson makes him the TED WILLIAMS of BJJ.

i agree....but the question was who was the "michael jordan" of jiu jitsu....and didn't marcelo change the game and in turn people mimic his game and game plan to defend against his game (most of the time with little or no success) same as they did jordan...i under stand that people do that with roger also....but its a little different..... that being said i respect roger gracie and i also think it might be a little easier for him due to his size to win open class.....but for jiu jitsu players like marcelo and terere and jacare it is a up hill battle and more of a skill game...actualy im kind of shocked no one mentioned terere.....word on the street is he is pretty good also....lol

Michael jordan was about dominance. He built on the game, he didn't really add anything new except for dominance. He wasn't just offensive, he was the best defensively as well. Roger gracie has the best offense and defense on the planet right now.

Marcelo might be a magic johnson. but he is no mike.

Also roger isn't that big. He weighs only 215. Around 15 pounds heavier than xande. There are plenty of heavier and bigger dudes than him.

What a load of bullshit. Everyone that I know BJJ will tell you Roger is probably the most skilled grappler in the world. He would SUB ANYONE IN THE WORLD in a no-time limit grappling match.

The same can't be said about others.

BJJ is all about simplicity and efficiency of moves. That's what Roger was taught and that's what he does.

Rickson, the GOAT, was like this.

But newbies see someone doing the Rubber guard and go all crazy..

No one is the Jordan of BJJ yet IMO. The fact that this thread was made and there is no consensus proves that. You go to an NBA forum and ask who is the greatest of all time and you will get MJ probably 9 out of 10 responses. I don't believe we have reached that point in BJJ yet, the sport is still so young.

I agree hundred percent. No speculated NBA who would be the best player. They just came Magic Johnson, Larrry Bird and the one to change the game...MJ. I sure they statically look at these players early in their career and say they were going to be good. But the thing is you can not calculate or speculate greatest. Greatest just comes and leave everyone in aww and when its gone it's gone. I believe there is no MJ for BJJ but you do have your Magic Johnson's, Larry Birds, and Scottie Pippen. There can't be a Kobe without MJ so I would have say their is no Kobes either. The bjj is not young but the sport side is and is not yet established. Before MJ and even Magic Johnson NBA was a household name. Grappler's quest, Pan America and etc are not household names. BJJ strives on BJJ practitioners. NBA just relies on enthusiast that played basketball at school once. If that makes any sense.

Back