The Michael Jordan of BJJ?

The michael Jordan of BJJ is Michael Jordan because that's his name. Unfortunately about any 1 stripe white belt can beat him. If you were to ask who I think is the Rolls Gracie of BJJ and why you'd get a much more interesting and intricate answer lol.

I'm just fucking with you but I think at the same time I answered at least part of your question.
!!!!!!!!!

tumbleweed004gi3.gif

This is merely stating that he is the best today, whereas MJ is the best EVER. If you're going to say he's the best period, you have to at least compare him to the legends, and Rickson probably stands out the most in terms of reputation.

Also, I don't know how far down the rabbit hole we should go with this analogy, but Roger is more like Shaq. He's a big man who crushes people, while MJ was more of a dynamic, acrobatic, explosive, floating, poetry in motion type athlete who tended to explode past or overwhelm people and not overpower them. Roger's got Xande beat I think, but if you're going to include the explosiveness/dynamic aspect, then maybe you're looking at Moura, Saulo, Marcelo, Jacare, Terere (despite his loss to Roger and tragic decline), maybe Cobrinha -- sorry, biased.

The one thing that is clear is that nobody wants to roll with the sweaty Patrick Ewing of BJJ.

and it's not only this... MJ's greatness transcends the fact that he is the best to ever play the game of basketball. He was an ambassador of the NBA and took the whole league to a place of crazy hiatus. Right now... that would be some one like Cobrihna (sp?), I think... with the combination of skill, grace, style, charisma, and everything...

like for MMA, I would have to give that to Wandy!!!

Jordan was NOT the first great ever
Jordan was the guy who came along later and revolutionized the game

I really dont know if there was any ONE BJJ player like that, but the one guy in the game today that seems to have the highest level of talent and is clearly the favorite in any match is Roger!

You really cant compare athletes in a combat sport to those in a NON-combat sport....bc of weight classes!

uh... I PARTIALLY agree with you but weight classes are to BJJ as positions are to B-ball. just like Jordan is the best 2-guard to ever play the game and Shaq is the best center to ever play the game (I know this is arguable here), and you can go through all 5 positions, but MJ is the best OVERALL.

Rolls use to train rickson personally and tapped him when he was young. When rickson got to his early 20s he started tapping rolls

I don't even think Rickson would agree with you on that. Where are you getting your information?

Jordan was NOT the first great ever
Jordan was the guy who came along later and revolutionized the game

I really dont know if there was any ONE BJJ player like that, but the one guy in the game today that seems to have the highest level of talent and is clearly the favorite in any match is Roger!

You really cant compare athletes in a combat sport to those in a NON-combat sport....bc of weight classes!

No not the first great, but without question the greatest of all time (GOAT). There is no argument here. If someone thinks Mj wasnt the best they are high out of there mind. lol

Helio Gracie greatest ever haha.

Demian Maia is up there for sure I would say he's in the top 5 best BJJ in MMA no question there is no middleweight with better BJJ than him thats for sure.[/quote]

I'm sure there's some guy around named Ronaldo who might disagree..

The only reservation I have with nominating Rolls or Rickson is the seemingly scarce amount of video of these guys rolling with anyone. I can find dozens of matches by Roger, Jacare, Maia, etc on youtube, but Rickson and Rolls are almost impossible to find, all I can find is testimony.

well here is my opinion.....marcelo garcia is the "michael jordan" of jiu jitsu....he changed things with his armdrags and x-guard and he can take the back from anywhere....he had won gold or silver in almost every comp he has been in.......and most of you have to admit.....when ever you see him roll...you stop what you doing to see what he is going to do.....gi or nogi it does not matter...he is just playing on a different level in a educated jiu jitsu world of high level competion that rickson and rolls did not have the chance to compete in.......oh and there is a guy climbing the ranks as a 4 stripe whitebelt gate keeper named nocturno starting a fight team named team garcia.....watch out marcelo not only is he biting at your heels in the jiu jitsu world but he is stealing your identity......:D

Last edited:
No one is the Jordan of BJJ yet IMO. The fact that this thread was made and there is no consensus proves that. You go to an NBA forum and ask who is the greatest of all time and you will get MJ probably 9 out of 10 responses. I don't believe we have reached that point in BJJ yet, the sport is still so young.

I guess you mean who is the GOAT of BJJ?

I don't personally know, but one of guys in my school is a high brown belt under Rickson Gracie and he says Rickson is just simply better than anyone who has ever lived. He saw Rickson toy with CHAMPIONS from worlds and mundials.

My coach is a Rigan Machado black belt but has trained with Rickson and he says Rickson is easily the best BJJ player that has ever lived.

Since these two coaches have forgotten more BJJ than most here will ever learn, than I will go with Rickson..

There have been a lot of greats. Drysdale, Marcelo, Arona is still undefeated, Kerr, etc.

If you're going to say that guy who's a step above those guys who are obviously already a step above it has to be Roger. Being the only man to finish all opponents by submission, not to mention the giant names he's tapping out.

well here is my opinion.....marcelo garcia is the "michael jordan" of jiu jitsu....he changed things with his armdrags and x-guard and he can take the back from anywhere....he had won gold or silver in almost every comp he has been in.......and most of you have to admit.....when ever you see him roll...you stop what you doing to see what he is going to do.....gi or nogi it does not matter...he is just playing on a different level in a educated jiu jitsu world of high level competion that rickson and rolls did not have the chance to compete in.......oh and there is a guy climbing the ranks as a 4 stripe gate keeper named nocturno starting a fight team named team garcia.....watch out marcelo not only is he biting at your heels in the jiu jitsu world but he is stealing your identity......:D

jordan was a winner. roger is a winner

I'd go with Rickson since most BJJ greats say his BJJ is amazing.
Marcelo would be Kobe.

How about Carlson Sr. as Kareem Abdul Jabaar? Whenever the G.O.A.T. is talked about neither of them seem to ever come up in discussion. To quote Woody Paige - "look at the stats..."

Back