The Michael Jordan of BJJ?

MMAharaja

Green Belt
Reaction score
We all remember laughing at Goldberg when he called Travis Lutter the Michael Jordan of BJJ.

Who do you guys think is the REAL Michael Jordan of BJJ and why?

We all remember laughing at Goldberg when he called Travis Lutter the Michael Jordan of BJJ.

There is no debate anymore. Hasn't been for a few years.

Roger is unbeatable at the moment. Its not if he will win but how long it will take.

9 for 9 subs in 2009
8/9 subs
only person to finish all opponents in the adcc

been in the absolute for the last 7 years.

enough said.

Demian Maia is up there for sure I would say he's in the top 5 best BJJ in MMA no question there is no middleweight with better BJJ than him thats for sure.

There is no debate anymore. Hasn't been for a few years.

Roger is unbeatable at the moment. Its not if he will win but how long it will take.

9 for 9 subs in 2009
8/9 subs
only person to finish all opponents in the adcc

been in the absolute for the last 7 years.

enough said.

This is merely stating that he is the best today, whereas MJ is the best EVER. If you're going to say he's the best period, you have to at least compare him to the legends, and Rickson probably stands out the most in terms of reputation.

Also, I don't know how far down the rabbit hole we should go with this analogy, but Roger is more like Shaq. He's a big man who crushes people, while MJ was more of a dynamic, acrobatic, explosive, floating, poetry in motion type athlete who tended to explode past or overwhelm people and not overpower them. Roger's got Xande beat I think, but if you're going to include the explosiveness/dynamic aspect, then maybe you're looking at Moura, Saulo, Marcelo, Jacare, Terere (despite his loss to Roger and tragic decline), maybe Cobrinha -- sorry, biased.

The one thing that is clear is that nobody wants to roll with the sweaty Patrick Ewing of BJJ.

Last edited:
greatest of the modern era and maybe (to use an americanism) most winningest, but in terms of all time, or even the dreaded p4p tag, who knows.

Who would be the Dennis Rodman of BJJ?

greatest of the modern era and maybe (to use an americanism) most winningest, but in terms of all time, or even the dreaded p4p tag, who knows.

Who would be the Dennis Rodman of BJJ?

telles

Demian Maia is up there for sure I would say he's in the top 5 best BJJ in MMA no question there is no middleweight with better BJJ than him thats for sure.

ermmm... ok...

I think from what others say, Rickson was probably the best. There is just to many good people praising him as the best. Gurgel, Jacare, Carlson, Atalla, Gordo, Carlinhos, Rany, Paulao, the list goes on and on.

The modern days definitely show Roger as the best.

when roger starts tappin cats at the last second we can call him MJ

'Phone call for you. It's a Mr Souza. He says you're full of crap!

Wasn't Rolls (the Gracie that died hang gliding) even better than Rickson?

roger is dominating bjj at the same level jordan dominated basketball. If he keeps it up, he wiill have dominated bjj longer than jordan dominated basketball

Rolls use to train rickson personally and tapped him when he was young. When rickson got to his early 20s he started tapping rolls

source for that?

Carlson sr's first black belt Sergio Ires aka Sergio de Niteroi was allegedly never tapped by Rolls in training.

Jordan was NOT the first great ever
Jordan was the guy who came along later and revolutionized the game

I really dont know if there was any ONE BJJ player like that, but the one guy in the game today that seems to have the highest level of talent and is clearly the favorite in any match is Roger!

You really cant compare athletes in a combat sport to those in a NON-combat sport....bc of weight classes!

The michael Jordan of BJJ is Michael Jordan because that's his name. Unfortunately about any 1 stripe white belt can beat him. If you were to ask who I think is the Rolls Gracie of BJJ and why you'd get a much more interesting and intricate answer lol.

I'm just fucking with you but I think at the same time I answered at least part of your question. When Rickson looks up to you, you're the best there's ever been.

Last edited:
Back