1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

The Mentzer's legacy...

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Braziluvr, May 16, 2008.

1. daemonarch push my car

If you ever try it, youll know it is strenght program. i will not come with clishee "all muscle building programs are strenght programs as well by necessity", cos it was designed as BB primarily...Ill just repeat, do it properly and you ll know it is strenght building program all the way...

or one of strenght programs...whichever you consider as core SP now...

2. dfoster Banned Banned

Hmmm.. I don't know. The 'use your head' argument is too simplistic for such a complex matter. You seem to adhere to the 'zero sum' philosophy: if you gain something, you will lose something for it. It's not be like that for the human body. Gaining 1 pound of muscle does not necessarily mean your cardio shape will diminish proportionally.

I think this is where you err: the human body is a growing and adapting system, it's not like a car: if you put in a bigger engine, the car will be heavier and will have less range unless you put in a bigger gas tank. The human body, in the process of gaining 1 lb of muscles, will adapt to the growing demand of gaining that poundage: the heart becoming stronger, the respiratory system becoming more efficient, ect... What is at debate here is the variation of the efficiencies that the body will adapt to this change with different methods of strength training. It's obvious that the body will not adapt forever because we see huge muscular guys gassing. But before this extreme is reached, the body does grow and adapt
    to the increased cardio demands of added muscles even when you don't specifically train for it. It's very complex.

3. Todd Gack Dutch

Personally HIT did nothing for me in terms of strength because it lacks proper protocol and like I said before, Linear progression doesn't work for me.

But I can see it being worthwhile for a fighter who already has a full training schedule.

4. Chaos Mitten** Banned Banned

You are wrong.

5. daemonarch push my car

I get the feeling that it is a bit too much of me in this thread, so i will retire

I made my point

Whatever strenght program you employ (or muscle building program, or making of a toughest looking SOB program...call it as you like, have nothing against it), do not forget cardio to balance it.
    HIT is good, it has substance but remmembering all that was said about balance will make it safe as well

6. daemonarch push my car

whatever, Im not here to be neither right or wrong

just do yourself a favor: you can think that Im wrong, doesnt affect me much, still for your own sake do some cardio (you do not need to overdo it) after your "strrenght training sesion" or "muscle tissue building session" - whichever you call it

7. Merrill Purple Belt

8. daemonarch push my car

LOL

(I just couldnt resist to comment this one...it was just too funny...:icon_chee)

9. maori rule all Blue Belt

I obtained strength from Doing HIT training before, I hit a wall in the 5x5, then experimented with HIT and got huge gains on all my lifts. I can't stress the point Keith Wassungs posts are great, Strength is strength don't get cought up in a rep range.

I started of with a weight I could do to failure for 5 reps then stuck with that weight until I could do it 10-12 reps, once I reached the 10-12 reps barryier I would add on weight to the bar. Now my body has addapted to the load and my muscles can produce more force and my CNS can make my muscles more effiecent at producing force.

Is that a strength gain or not? I think it is.

So yes Strength can be obtained by HIT, but again like Keith said your body will adapt to it, then switch up and change the routine, once that stagnates, move onto another routine so it brakes the bodys homeostasis again so our body has the stimulus to further adapt and become stronger. Or has all theory's on how to become stronger just gone out the window,.

I'm not a HIT jedi, I just know it works for me and has helped me become stronger, but I know I will stagnate using it, then I adapt mentally that it's time to change things. Experiment people, just like Sonny said, it doesn't work for him, trial and error, not everybody reacts the same to a certain stimulus.

10. maori rule all Blue Belt

I wasn't even doing it right anyway, I never did a long negative phase. I just went to failure on my sets. but I still got great gains using this style of lifting or kind of principle.

11. Chaos Mitten** Banned Banned

Being a teenager + new to lifting = any god damn thing will make you stronger.

12. maori rule all Blue Belt

Good lol, at least I have a head start now. I've been lifting for almost 2 years now though so the Novice effect of training has worn of greatly and getting gains is quite hard you know.

But I did have a 3 month period of not working out at all due to a shoulder injury and it took another 3-4 months to get back to the level I was at before so I've lost 6-7 months worth of gains lol, damm you world lol.