The Mendes situation

So Fresh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looking at the fights and rankings, it's gonna be a while before Mendes will ever get a title shot again.

If Aldo wins his next fight against Conor, there probably won't be a Aldo vs. Mendes 3.
Also, Edgar, Holloway, Conor, and maybe even Oliviera are next in line for a rematch/ title fight with Aldo. And maybe even Barao when he goes up in weight.

Ofcourse it all depends on what happens in the furture and who beats who.. but it could be a while before Mendes ever gets his title shot, if he can stay on top till then.

What do you guys think?

Conor vs Aldo
Holloway vs Edgar for next shot
Mendes vs Barao
Stephens vs Jury

he wont get it for a while. after aldo loses his belt he'll get an instant rematch, and then it'll prolly be frankie's turn, then someone will get injured, etc.

Mendes will prolly move weight classes.

If Conor beats Aldo, Mendes could get a title shot after one more fight.

Mendes was "beating" Conor for two rounds (I don't personally agree, but that's the accepted narrative) on short notice. If Mendes comes out and KO's someone in impressive fashion, the UFC will play the "short notice" angle and give Mendes a rematch. Especially if other top contenders lose, or if Mendes himself beats a top contender like Frankie, or even Holloway.

Different story if Aldo wins, of course.

Mendes better be praying for a Conor victory.

I forgot Jury, who came down in weight.

Will Mendes go to BW? He'll have to fight TJ, I won't think he'll do that.

I think a big reason he took the Conor fight short notice, it because of the payday and he knows he's not gonna get a title fight soon..

Dana will announce Aldo/Mendes 3 after Aldo embarrasses Connor but then he'll give the shot to someone else a couple of weeks later.

Looking at the fights and rankings, it's gonna be a while before Mendes will ever get a title shot again.

If Aldo wins his next fight against Conor, there probably won't be a Aldo vs. Mendes 3.
Also, Edgar, Holloway, Conor, and maybe even Oliviera are next in line for a rematch/ title fight with Aldo. And maybe even Barao when he goes up in weight.

Ofcourse it all depends on what happens in the furture and who beats who.. but it could be a while before Mendes ever gets his title shot, if he can stay on top till then.

What do you guys think?

That's not at all how title shots are determined.

It would be fair if it took a while, he's already had two shots at the title and one at the interim.
What are they gonna do? keep giving him shots until he wins?

It would be fair if it took a while, he's already had two shots at the title and one at the interim.

That's true. The only way I'm seeing him get a title shot again is if Conor wins (likely), or Aldo moves up in weight.

he just made bank. I'm sure he's chilling

Agree. I know Dana goes on about the UFC not doing the rankings, but surely when a fighter loses he should go down one or two places in the rankings, not stay in the ranking spot they were before they got beaten. Eg; Mendes (before Conor fight) Pettis and Velasquez.

I found it dick headish when Dana labelled Florian a choker - while he's sitting near him in front of the media, when you could hypothetically say the same about Mendes. But maybe Dana copped on since then.

A move down to BW would seem the logical thing to do.

Conor vs Aldo
Holloway vs Edgar for next shot
Mendes vs Barao
Stephens vs Jury

Stephens and Jury are close friends/training partners. I wouldn't mind seeing any of those guys scrap vs one another though.

I found it dick headish when Dana labelled Florian a choker

Let's just agree that Dana has a tendency to do and say "dick headish" things. That said, would you label Florian somewhat of a choker? I often rooted for the guy, but he tended to choke in big fights, no?

Let's just agree that Dana has a tendency to do and say "dick headish" things. That said, would you label Florian somewhat of a choker? I often rooted for the guy, but he tended to choke in big fights, no?

Nah, wasn't disputing that Forian choked/was out classed. I just think Dana could have worded it a bit better. Harsh truth perhaps for Florian then, but time and place, I think.

Aldo and Barao are training partners as are Stephens and Jury.. Mendes vs Holloway, Aldo still the Champ vs Edgar, McGregor vs Faber, Sanchez vs Guida, Jury vs Barao

Cody McKenzie rematch. McKenzie will wreck him on a full camp and was winning the fight before he got KOed.

Back