The McGregor Effect: Insulting families, religions, wives...

<{cruzshake}>
Anyone has had enough of this?

Countless fighters now copy McGregor, such as Colby and others.
Attack people's religion, families ("your kids look inbred", etc), culture.
(Only thing they don't attack yet is race...Because this is the big taboo).
They try to seduce the fighter's wife by sending her DMs (like Jake Paul, another Conor lookalike, tried to do with Ben Askren's wife). Conor McGregor is probably the lowest of the low though, he will try to attack anything and do anything if it somehow can attract attention.

I love this sport and combat sports, but this kind of stuff just makes me vomit. You can create beef without being an utter scumbag. The Bisping/GSP banter is a good example. I watch combat sports to watch high level fighting, not the toxicity of society which is already everywhere, in bars, in the streets, etc. This kind of shit just turns me away from combat sports.

I've also see SOME people here defend this behavior, saying "it's just a gimmick".
So you will rationalise ANYTHING if its justified by money?

I could start an entire argument on the state of the West when it comes to that, but I won't.

IMHO this is all a huge mistake that will ensure that MMA & fighting remains a niche sport.
You think that kids want to see this stuff? Like that "mini Khabib" little girl that idolised Khabib and only did so because he is an honorable fighter? Weirdly enough she disappeared once Khabib jumped into the crowd, sullied his honor by acting like a thug.

I know my thread might be irrelevant to many, but I'm just disappointed by the level of discourse MMA & fighting has gone to. The utter gutter. The GSP era is long over. Remember the likes of GSP, Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida, etc? They were heroes. They pushed the sport upwards. Now we live in the short lived McGregor & Paul brothers era. Slow clap.

IMHO CONOR MCGREGOR (and Dana White who pushed him up) totally fucked the vibe of the sport. And he's getting worse and worse. It will take for this guy to go to jail for the toxicity to disappear, and even then, it will have a lingering effect on the entire sport, like the smell of a dead rat in the kitchen.
mini khabib is not a little girl!!!!!!!!

Considering all the death, corruption, and pain religions have caused throughout history and still do to this day, it can handle taking a few barbs from a cage fighter. People willing to kill or those who take offense to it are fucking animals, extremely stupid and worried their little support system is a false structure built on lies and manipulation.

It's always funny religious nutjobs claim this is the way and only their path is the one to enlightenment and the afterlife yet will behead someone for making jokes or shoot up a business that has nothing to do with them. If your obsession is so "perfect," criticism and jokes should just roll right off your shoulders. Why are they all such soft babies?

The family stuff I agree with. It's weird and way outta line. Save it for the fighters. Unless the wife or husband starts talking shit. Dustin's wife needs to keep her mouth shut.
You're referring to extremists and fanatics, while applying this image to all religions and the people who practice the religions. Devout followers of the main religions, do not condone or promote fanatical violence or decadent behavior. In fact they are far more helpful to communities, individuals and society as a whole than most who are fanatically anti-religion.

Colby comes from the Chael Sonnen school of trash talk, I would say fighters that actively try to emulate Conor are Sean O’Malley and Paddy Pimblett, and they are pretty awful at it.

You're referring to extremists and fanatics, while applying this image to all religions and the people who practice the religions. Devout followers of the main religions, do not condone or promote fanatical violence or decadent behavior. In fact they are far more helpful to communities, individuals and society as a whole than most who are fanatically anti-religion.

Also, is it freedom of speech to say to someone, completely uncalled for: "You're a POS Buddhist/Christian/Muslim. I shit on your entire religion".
Sure it's freedom of speech, but there is also freedom of consequences.
Meaning, the UFC as an organisation should liberally give out warnings or fines for such behavior.
People on here act like freedom of speech is all encompassing, such as freedom to call for murder, rape, etc. It's not.

The problem is the UFC under Dana White encourages extremely low standard by tolerating everything.
That goes along with all the other shit Dana White has protected, such as Jon Jones' behavior, etc.

The standard is just kept extremely low.
In Golf or Tennis, you even swear against an opponent and will get evicted from the match.

The UFC has really sucked a lot of the respect out of what martial arts was and could have been. I don't really blame Conor for continuing to spiral out of control because the UFC has promoted it every step of the way and he's never felt any ill effects from any of it. Imagine the consequences if an NBA player snuck his gang backstage into a game and launched a dolly into a team bus carrying players.

Colby comes from the Chael Sonnen school of trash talk, I would say fighters that actively try to emulate Conor are Sean O’Malley and Paddy Pimblett, and they are pretty awful at it.

Chael Sonnen has never been gutter trash when it comes to his talk though.
It's always well thought out and theatrical. It's never "fuck your wife/religion" type of stuff.
That was introduced by Conor, Colby, Jake Paul, etc.

The UFC has really sucked a lot of the respect out of what martial arts was and could have been. I don't really blame Conor for continuing to spiral out of control because the UFC has promoted it every step of the way and he's never felt any ill effects from any of it. Imagine the consequences if an NBA player snuck his gang backstage into a game and launched a dolly into a team bus carrying players.

Extremely good point. Compare UFC to places like ONE where standards of decency are totally different.

It's always well thought out and theatrical. It's never "fuck your wife/religion" type of stuff.
I think that’s comes to Colby not really having the natural creativity and wit on the mic, he references professional wrestling a lot so I’m pretty sure he’s basically personified himself as a heel character

To be fair it's not like Conor isn't giving people the avenue to respond to his bullshit with violence.

What really gets me is the cowardly pieces of shit that pull up with all kinds if obscene bullshit then hide behind freedom of speech and laws that persecute people from reacting with violence when violence is the correct response. Like swatting a mosquito, the mosquito should not be protected if it bites you.

I think that’s comes to Colby not really having the natural creativity and wit on the mic, he references professional wrestling a lot so I’m pretty sure he’s basically personified himself as a heel character

Gotta admit, Colby makes me chuckle sometimes when he comes up with a funny monologue. It's just the gutter stuff that I dislike.
If he stuck to his fun monologues, making cultural references about the stupidity of some stuff (like SJWs, cancel culture, etc), I would like it a lot.
But for instance, my thread was initiated when Colby made a reference to Poirier, saying his entire family are inbred hillbillies from "the Swamps".
I think that's not funny, not thought out, and disrespectful. It's a red line insulting someone's family, children, etc for me.

He did bring Andersons wife into his trash talk and said many very distasteful things about brazilians. Colby has taken the disrespect to a new level, but Chael crossed the line many times imo.

To be fair it's not like Conor isn't giving people the avenue to respond to his bullshit with violence.
What really gets me is the cowardly pieces of shit that pull up with all kinds if obscene bullshit then hide behind freedom of speech and laws that persecute people from reacting with violence when violence is the correct response. Like swatting a mosquito, the mosquito should not be protected if it bites you.

Conor does hide behind the fact that it's a mega fight and if violence occured, the fight would get cancelled potentially.
Lots of those fighters control themselves knowing they can't do jack shit. They're in the middle of a camp for a big fight, they can't just throw hands.
I mean, it does happen but done by low impulse control dudes, and usually doesn't have good consequences.

This is completely different than Conor saying: "meet me outside this bar". He would never do that.
He's a little parrot talking behind the big man Dana White, UFC, and the pressure of the fight coming up.
He literally created the entire animosity with Khabib and how it ended a disaster in the cage. It was all his fault.
Khabib ended up reacting to his taunts, and it sullied the entire sport.
IRL, Conor would be killed or end in Jail.

He did bring Andersons wife into his trash talk and said many very distasteful things about brazilians. Colby has taken the disrespect to a new level, but Chael crossed the line many times imo.

I hate generalising Brazilians or any ethnicity/people.
But the fact that sometimes, Brazilians are known to be bad sport, and extremely rowdy crowd that chant "You will die" to the opponent (in any sport, football too), may have elicited Chael Sonnen's actions. I still remember in the Rio Olympics when Brazilian crowds purposefully whistled or made noise when opponents of Brazilians were performing, to make them fail. Honestly that's so disgusting that I can understand a dude saying "Brazilians are trash". Even though, of course, all Brazilians are not trash.

It's amazing when they get humbled by performance though.

<{cruzshake}>
Anyone has had enough of this?

Countless fighters now copy McGregor, such as Colby and others.
Attack people's religion, families ("your kids look inbred", etc), culture.
(Only thing they don't attack yet is race...Because this is the big taboo).
They try to seduce the fighter's wife by sending her DMs (like Jake Paul, another Conor lookalike, tried to do with Ben Askren's wife). Conor McGregor is probably the lowest of the low though, he will try to attack anything and do anything if it somehow can attract attention.

I love this sport and combat sports, but this kind of stuff just makes me vomit. You can create beef without being an utter scumbag. The Bisping/GSP banter is a good example. I watch combat sports to watch high level fighting, not the toxicity of society which is already everywhere, in bars, in the streets, etc. This kind of shit just turns me away from combat sports.

I've also see SOME people here defend this behavior, saying "it's just a gimmick".
So you will rationalise ANYTHING if its justified by money?

I could start an entire argument on the state of the West when it comes to that, but I won't.

IMHO this is all a huge mistake that will ensure that MMA & fighting remains a niche sport.
You think that kids want to see this stuff? Like that "mini Khabib" little girl that idolised Khabib and only did so because he is an honorable fighter? Weirdly enough she disappeared once Khabib jumped into the crowd, sullied his honor by acting like a thug.

I know my thread might be irrelevant to many, but I'm just disappointed by the level of discourse MMA & fighting has gone to. The utter gutter. The GSP era is long over. Remember the likes of GSP, Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida, etc? They were heroes. They pushed the sport upwards. Now we live in the short lived McGregor & Paul brothers era. Slow clap.

IMHO CONOR MCGREGOR (and Dana White who pushed him up) totally fucked the vibe of the sport. And he's getting worse and worse. It will take for this guy to go to jail for the toxicity to disappear, and even then, it will have a lingering effect on the entire sport, like the smell of a dead rat in the kitchen.

TS,

I mean this sincerely, if McGregors presence as an athlete in MMA bothers you so much that it has in your view tainted the sport as a whole, simply stop watching it. MMA has never been a sport based on honor and respect and like any other sport it attracts good people, bad people, smart people, and dumb people; it is a reflection of society.

McGregor has ever said anything other than the post fight death threats to Dustin that crossed the imaginary line of what constitutes acceptable discourse for MMA fighters. Many of your idols have likely made statements just as if not more crude than anything McGregor has ever said. If you believe he started some revolution you simply don't understand the history of the sport or keep up with it.

If Jon Jones can go on twitter after Anthony Smith suffers a home invasion and can "joke" about Smith being lucky it wasn't Jon who broke in then Connor can make a joke about Khabibs wife. Your selective outrage is quite telling.

There are members of the MMA media and hoards of fans on this very website who complain every single day about the UFC not fairly compensating the "fighter" who made the "joke" ^ stated above. These "fans" and "media" of this supposedly "honorable sport" complain daily that the UFC is cheap for not being willing to pay Mr. Jones eight figures so they can view a specific fight. There is no honor in the sport pal and there never has been.

I have never had any respect for McGregor, as I did not ignore the multiple women who have accused him of various sex crimes, but you apparently did TS if you are now having an epiphany McGregor might be a scumbag in real life.

You are no better than any fan of McGregor or Colby and if it was not already obvious you need to reevaluate your moral compass if as a grown man your heroes are cage-fighters.

Grow up.

Back