Movies THE MATRIX: RESURRECTIONS (New Trailer)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: September 8, 2021

First Official Trailer for THE MATRIX RESURRECTIONS Brings Back Neo and Trinity

From visionary filmmaker Lana Wachowski comes “The Matrix Resurrections,” the long-awaited fourth film in the groundbreaking franchise that redefined a genre. The new film reunites original stars Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss in the iconic roles they made famous, Neo and Trinity.

Update: October 9, 2019

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II Lands Lead Role in MATRIX 4, Possibly Playing Morpheus

h7tnSsy.jpg

Aquaman star Yahya Abdul-Mateen II has landed one of the lead roles in the latest installment in the Matrix franchise.

Sources tell Variety that director Lana Wachowski met with actors for the secret role over the last week and in recent days, Abdul-Mateen emerged as the frontrunner to join Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss, who will be reprising their roles in the film.

Warner Bros. announced in August that a fourth Matrix movie is officially in the works, with Reeves and Moss returning and Wachowski on board to write and direct. Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures will produce and globally distribute the film.

In addition to Wachowski, the script was also written by Aleksandar Hemon and David Mitchell. Wachowski is also producing with Grant Hill. The film is expected to begin production at the beginning of 2020.

Plot details are currently unknown and while it was rumored a young Morpheus could appear in the movie, sources close to the film would not confirm Abdul-Mateen’s specific role. THR's sources speculate that Abdul-Mateen II will pay a young Morpheus, a key leader in humanity's resistance against the machines.

In addition to his breakout role as Manta in Warner Bros.’ Aquaman, Abdul-Mateen portrayed Lupita Nyong’o’s character’s father in Jordan Peele’s hit Us and had a starring role in an episode of Black Mirror. He will appear as Cal Abar in HBO’s Watchmen TV series, which also stars Regina King and Don Johnson.

Abdul-Mateen was most recently cast to play Black Panther co-founder Bobby Seale in Aaron Sorkin’s The Trial of the Chicago 7 and landed the titular role in the Peele-produced Candyman, set for release in 2020. He will topline the Netflix drama All Day and a Night alongside Jeffrey Wright.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/matrix-4-yahya-abdul-mateen-ii-1203364314/

Update: August 20, 2019

THE MATRIX 4 in the Works with Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Director Lana Wachowski Returning

kPd5XYQ.jpg

Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski, co-creator and director of the The Matrix, are returning to the fold for a fourth installment of the seminal action franchise. Wachowski is set to write, helm and produce the new feature project, with Reeves and Moss reprising their respective roles as action heroes Neo and Trinity.

Warner Bros. will once again team with Village Roadshow for the project. “We could not be more excited to be re-entering The Matrix with Lana,” Warner Bros. Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich said Tuesday in a statement. “Lana is a true visionary — a singular and original creative filmmaker — and we are thrilled that she is writing, directing and producing this new chapter in The Matrix universe.”

"Many of the ideas Lilly [Wachowski, Lana's sister] and I explored 20 years ago about our reality are even more relevant now,” said Wachowski. “I’m very happy to have these characters back in my life and grateful for another chance to work with my brilliant friends.”

Wachowski is producing the film together with Grant Hill. The screenplay is by Wachowski, Aleksandar Hemon and David Mitchell.

The Matrix, written and directed by the Wachowskis, was released in 1999 and was seen as revolutionary in its idea of reality, metaphors in anti-authority and, of course, action scenes that introduced “bullet time.” The initial movie was not just a box office smash but a critical hit and was followed by two sequels, 2003's The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions. While those movies also raked it in at the box office, it was diminishing returns for audience loyalty and reception.

Warners, in search of so-called safe and branded franchises to which it could return to, had in recent years considered prequels and spinoffs, including ones that involved Michael B. Jordan and screenwriter Zak Penn.

In addition, Joel Silver produced the original trilogy, but the studio’s latest announcement did not include his name. The infamous producer had a longtime deal with Warner Bros. when those movies were made but has since severed ties. It is unclear whether or not any contract conditions will cause him to return.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/matrix-4-works-keanu-reeves-lana-wachowski-1233371

Update: March 17, 2017

New MATRIX Movie May Be About Young Morpheus Starring Michael B. Jordan

Ddlr13p.jpg

There's been a lot of chatter this week regarding Warner Bros.' upcoming return to The Matrix franchise. A reboot was announced (with Michael B. Jordan being pursued as the lead), fans got worked up about it (as they are wont to do) and Zak Penn (the guy writing the treatment) hopped on Twitter to make sure everyone knew it wasn't a reboot.

And that's true: WB is not interested in rebooting The Matrix, but rather in exploring expanded universe concepts. And according to two independent sources for Birth.Movies.Death, one idea that's gained a lot of support is a prequel film starring Michael B. Jordan as a young Morpheus.

The site believes is that a Morpheus film has long been a concept favored by the folks at Warner Bros. The studio has established a writer's room (a sure-fire sign that WB is gunning for multiple films/franchises), and their further understanding is that this Morpheus idea is one of several being kicked around.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/03/17/the-new-matrix-may-be-a-young-morpheus-movie

Update: March 17, 2017

New MATRIX Movie is Not a Reboot or Remake According to Writer Zak Penn

WdpuwiT.png

A couple of screenwriters -- including the one actually writing the thing -- have weighed in on that new Matrix project that broke the Internet earlier this week.

The good news is that they've more or less confirmed that whatever is being developed by Warner Bros. is in fact not a reboot or remake of the original movie or trilogy. Zak Penn, the screenwriter the studio hired to pen the piece, took to Twitter to clear a few things up:

“All I can say at this point is no one could or should REBOOT The Matrix,” Penn wrote on Twitter. “People who know Animatrix and the comics understand. Can’t comment yet except to say that the words 'reboot' and ‘remake’ were from an article. Let’s stop responding to inaccurate news. Do I want to see more stories set in the universe of The Matrix? Yes. Because it’s a brilliant idea that generates great stories.”

"If I were going to recast Keanu Reeves, I would cast Keanu Reeves," Penn added. "Do I want to see more stories set in the universe of the matrix? Yes. Because it's a brilliant idea that generates great stories. Look at what people are doing with Xmen universe. Between Logan and Legion and Deadpool, does anyone want them to stop? Not me."

Writer Eric Heisserer (Arrival) pointed to another recent example of what Penn is alluding to:

"I know people are slinging the words 'reboot' and 'remake' around some iconic films, but I wouldn't be so quick to believe that,". Heisserer said on Twitter. "From what I've been hearing, studios are instead asking the question, 'How can we ROGUE ONE a story in our own franchises?' That may be what's going on here. Expanding timelines and worlds to follow maybe one familiar character and a bunch of new ones."

http://www.blastr.com/2017-3-17/everyone-calm-down-new-matrix-movie-not-reboot

March 14, 2017

THE MATRIX Reboot in the Works at Warner Bros., Michael B. Jordan Eyed to Star

u0dbfYG.png

It’s still not clear what shape the project will take, but sources tell THR that Warner Bros. is in the early stages of developing a relaunch of The Matrix, the iconic 1999 sci-fi movie that is considered one of the most original films in cinematic history, with Zak Penn in talks to write a treatment.

Sources say there is potential interest in Michael B. Jordan to star, but much must be done before the project is ready to go.

At this point, the Wachowski siblings, who wrote and directed the original and its two sequels, are not involved and the nature of their potential engagement with a new version has not been determined. Certainly, Warners would want the two filmmakers to give at minimum a blessing to the nascent project. Warners had no comment.

Joel Silver, who produced the original trilogy, is said to have approached Warners about the idea of mining The Matrix for a potential new movie. However, Silver sold his interest in all his movies to the studio in 2012 for about $30 million, according to sources. The studio is said to be leery of including him in any meaningful role, as he not only has a reputation for budget-control issues, but apparently has a strained relationship with the Wachowskis. The siblings hold much more meaning for fans than the producer.

While some in Warners consider the title among the studio’s sacrosanct properties, such as Casablanca, others see a need to redevelop it in an environment where studios are desperately looking for ways to monetize their libraries and branded IP is hard to come by.

The idea of adapting The Matrix as a television series was nixed in recent months. But Warners see a model in what Disney and Lucasfilm have done with Star Wars, exploring the hidden corners of the universe with movies such as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story or the in-production young Han Solo film. Perhaps a young Morpheus movie could come out of the exploration, as an example.

Penn is a writer with deep roots in the geeky genres in which Matrix travels. He created the Syfy network’s super-powered show Alphas and has been involved in comic book movies ranging from the X-Men franchise to The Avengers.

'The Matrix' Reboot in the Works from Warner Bros. with Michael B. Jordan Eyed to Star

giphy.gif

Holly wood needs to fuck off and die

I don't think that they should use the term Reboot and I'll be fine with it. Like you can do some new movies that don't erase the previous movies and just do them involving the characters when they're younger. Like do a stand alone movie when Morpheus first joins the resistance.

thats fucking stupid and pointless.

Not a surprise, given how Hollywood loves to remake everything.

Its a plus the Wichowskis will have nothing to do with it. They have less credibility than that 6th Sense director.

Michael B Jordan? Mhmmmmm... could work. Jury's out.

I'll wait until a director is announced.

I don't think that they should use the term Reboot and I'll be fine with it. Like you can do some new movies that don't erase the previous movies and just do them involving the characters when they're younger. Like do a stand alone movie when Morpheus first joins the resistance.

No prequels!

I would be down with a prequel (or three), but a reboot? That's just dumb.

I just watched this video and then decided to check The Mayberry. Even the opening song of the video is well.........

super fucking stupid and super fucking pointless

I hope the movie spends a lot more time on dialogue with the architect.

Awesome i hope they correct their mistake of not casting Don Cheadle as Morpheus the first time

giphy.gif

Dumbest idea for a movie I've heard this year.

As everyone else has said, this is fucking retarded.

Also, is it just me, or is Michael B. Jordan pretty fucking overrated? I mean, I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but he is not a great actor. Competent, sure, but he's not this great actor that he's gotten hyped up to be. He's an OK actor who got lucky enough to be cast in some pretty good movies.

Back