The Match Has Begun: Will an American Finally Reclaim the World Chess Championship?

Fawlty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fabiano Caruana might be the man to do it. He is currently playing in (and leading) the Sinquefield Cup here in St. Louis, MO. It's a top event sponsored by billionaire Rex Sinquefield, who has turned St. Louis into something of a chess Mecca in the last decade. All of the best players are duking it out, including World Champion Magnus Carlsen, of Norway.

Caruana will play Magnus for the World Chess Championship this November in London. No American has won the title since Bobby Fischer. Carlsen's form has been in question this year, and many think Caruana is poised to dethrone him.

MlbmIM7.jpg

Fabiano Caruana is a 26-year-old Italian-American, ranked #2 in the world behind Carlsen. Born in Miami and raised in Brooklyn until his early teens, he moved to Italy, where he attained the title of Grandmaster at age 14. In 2014, also at the Sinquefield Cup, he scored a single-tournament ELO performance rating of 3103, the highest in history.

Today, Caruana and Carlsen played a game that may foreshadow their World Championship match. With Caruana leading the tournament, Magnus played aggressively to push for a win, which would both put him into the lead in the Sinquefield Cup and deliver a psychological blow to his challenger a few months ahead of their title match.

c21Mmzm.png

Carlsen, playing white, managed to pressure Caruana's king safety in a Petrov Defense favored by Caruana. He marched his wing pawns up the board and forced this dangerous position, with a 6-minute advantage on the time clock:

Fdaxbe6.png

With massive pawn pressure, misplaced black pieces, and white's pieces ready to close in on the black king, the commentators all thought the game was lost for Caruana. Magnus Carlsen thought so too. In a rare instance of chess trash-talking, Carlsen entered the "confessional booth," where players can drop in and give their thoughts to the camera in the middle of an interesting game.

Carlsen stepped inside the booth but didn't say anything. He simply looked at the camera and held up one finger to his lips, "silencing the haters."

ybTwm3H.png

But Carlsen's confidence did not turn into a victory. He missed a defense available to Caruana, and his time ticked down as he looked for a way to keep his attack alive, leaving himself just over a minute to play several moves until they hit the time controls, where an hour is added at move 40.

yGPvGcu.png

Caruana defended masterfully and forced an equal position at the time controls. Carlsen could only facepalm, and then offer his hand in a draw.

lzZGgiI.png

Grandmasters may play a lot more like computer programs these days, but there remains a critical human element to the game of chess. Just a few years ago, Magnus Carlsen was the young, invincible star who seemed destined to become World Champion, which he achieved in 2013. He has defended his title twice, against Viswanathan Anand and Sergei Karjakin.

But now Carlsen is facing his younger equal- with an ELO rating that nearly matches Carlsen's- a chess star who also seems destined for championship glory. And the psychological advantage going into the match now belongs to American Fabiano Caruana.

Last edited:
I wonder how the western chess champs will do in Chinese chess if they trained for it.

I want to see some crossover matches. Chinese chess players vs Western chess in Western chess, and then in chinese chess.

edit maybe we can add in the Go players somehow.

Fisher’s story is really amazing. Definitely one of the most brilliant players in history. Caruana seems like he has a bright future too, especially since he has a lot of years still ahead of him.

Fabiano Caruana might be the man to do it. He is currently playing in (and leading) the Sinquefield Cup here in St. Louis, MO. It's a top event sponsored by billionaire Rex Sinquefield, who has turned St. Louis into something of a chess Mecca in the last decade. All of the best players are duking it out, including World Champion Magnus Carlsen, of Norway.

Caruana will play Magnus for the World Chess Championship this December in London. No American has won the title since Bobby Fischer. Carlsen's form has been in question this year, and many think Caruana is poised to dethrone him.

MlbmIM7.jpg

Fabiano Caruana is a 26-year-old Italian-American, ranked #2 in the world behind Carlsen. Born in Miami and raised in Brooklyn until his early teens, he moved to Italy, where he attained the title of Grandmaster at age 14. In 2014, also at the Sinquefield Cup, he scored a single-tournament ELO performance rating of 3103, the highest in history.

Today, Caruana and Carlsen played a game that may foreshadow their World Championship match. With Caruana leading the tournament, Magnus played aggressively to push for a win, which would both put him into the lead in the Sinquefield Cup and deliver a psychological blow to his challenger a few months ahead of their title match.

c21Mmzm.png

Carlsen, playing white, managed to pressure Caruana's king safety in a Petrov Defense favored by Caruana. He marched his wing pawns up the board and forced this dangerous position, with a 6-minute advantage on the time clock:

Fdaxbe6.png

With massive pawn pressure, misplaced black pieces, and white's pieces ready to close in on the black king, the commentators all thought the game was lost for Caruana. Magnus Carlsen thought so too. In a rare instance of chess trash-talking, Carlsen entered the "confessional booth," where players can drop in and give their thoughts to the camera in the middle of an interesting game.

Carlsen stepped inside the booth but didn't say anything. He simply looked at the camera and held up one finger to his lips, "silencing the haters."

ybTwm3H.png

But Carlsen's confidence did not turn into a victory. He missed a defense available to Caruana, and his time ticked down as he looked for a way to keep his attack alive, leaving himself just over a minute to play several moves until they hit the time controls, where an hour is added at move 40.

yGPvGcu.png

Caruana defended masterfully and forced an equal position at the time controls. Carlsen could only facepalm, and then offer his hand in a draw.

lzZGgiI.png

Grandmasters may play a lot more like computer programs these days, but there remains a critical human element to the game of chess. Just a few years ago, Magnus Carlsen was the young, invincible star who seemed destined to become World Champion, which he achieved in 2013. He has defended his title twice, against Viswanathan Anand and Sergei Karjakin.

But now Carlsen is facing his younger equal- with an ELO rating that nearly matches Carlsen's- a chess star who also seems destined for championship glory. And the psychological advantage going into the match now belongs to American Fabiano Caruana.

Amazing he survived that attack. Will try and find that whole game.
What's your rating?
A

I wonder how the western chess champs will do in Chinese chess if they trained for it.

I want to see some crossover matches. Chinese chess players vs Western chess in Western chess, and then in chinese chess.

edit maybe we can add in the Go players somehow.
Don't know anything about Chinese Chess, but in classical Chess they have a couple really strong guys, maybe one future champ. They probably have a deeper talent pool than America just below the top, though they have about the same number of top players.

Don't know anything about Chinese Chess, but in classical Chess they have a couple really strong guys, maybe one future champ. They probably have a deeper talent pool than America just below the top, though they have about the same number of top players.

Who is they? do you mean the Chinese?

Oh you misunderstood me. I mean the game of chinese chess, not the western chess scene in China

@Fawlty we should bring out our greatest stable genius

<TheDonald>

That way when we lose we can just say it was rigged and half the country will believe it. It's a win-win for morale.

I'm...not strong lol. I get killed by B players.

That's my genral level also. It takes a lot of dedication to actually make a substantial improvement. It's to easy just to play games on chess.com rather than read and work through variations.

I couldn't even imagine having to be around that guy in real life.

Yet your posts seems to suggest that you think about it quite a lot, yet are too shy to quote/tag me to let me know just how moist it makes you.

<6>

What up @Fawlty

Not sure if taken from an article or your own words(well written). As an avid chess player, enjoyed the post very much, thanks for the share!

When you've got a porsche, you don't just take it to car shows. You use it to run over some board game nerds too.
So what you're saying is we should go do there on a date. Central West End + Ford Taurus. Aw yeah.
What up @Fawlty

Not sure if taken from an article or your own words(well written). As an avid chess player, enjoyed the post very much, thanks for the share!
Thanks, yeah that's my write-up. You're welcome, I'm stoked for an American to win despite my lack of patriotism lol.

Can’t believe I read all of that and actually found it interesting. Thanks OP

Do you know descriptive notation or just algebraic @Fawlty
Maybe we can have a game sometime, could be here or one of the chess sites.

Back