Television THE MANDALORIAN Season 2 (Gina Carano Fired Due to Her Social Media Posts)

Rate season 2 of The Mandalorian

• Total voters
High profile athletes have been in acting roles for quite a while right? Conan the Destroyer, Space Jam, anything with Jim Brown or Ronda. Many musicians have made the jump too, they're not in there because they are the best at acting. I cannot think of one actress that has the physical presence of Gina, on top of that she has the ability to sell the hand to hand combat scenes.

Many actresses are better at selling physical presence, hand to hand to combat, and acting skills than Carano.

Reactions: lsa
Many actresses are better at selling physical presence, hand to hand to combat, and acting skills than Carano.

Name them.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's one or two better at physical presence, doubtful there's any at selling hand to hand combat, and yeah no one's ever said Carano's ever going to be nominated for an Oscar or Emmy.

But 'Many actresses are better' at the first two? Name them.

Frankie Adams, who portrays Bobbie Draper in The Expanse would be a good replacement for Cara Dune as well. Her character on The Expanse is basically the same archetype.
Good suggestion imo

I’d like to have someone explain this logic to me.

Republicans absolutely despise cancel culture. It’s a plague on society. So their response to Disney firing Gina is to get #canceldisneyplus trending on Twitter and cancel their service.

It’s not ok for them to fire an employee for doing something they don’t like but there’s no issue with cancelling them for doing something they don’t like? Am I following?
Yes you're following. However, the boycott has historical significance that users exploit to lend good faith to its weaponization, which means any attempts at shame or social accountability will first have to penetrate that self created false esteem.

Pointing out the optical hypocrisy means nothing to the preset inflated sense of accomplishment, except to encourage them to double down.

Carano has free speech. She isn't free however, to circumvent her company's policies.

Consequences for free speech = no free speech
lol

You can say what you want, but I'll cut your head off for it. That's free speech?

Consequences for free speech = no free speech
lol

You can say what you want, but I'll cut your head off for it. That's free speech?
No that's not free speech.

Free speech is the right to express oneself according to certain guidelines. Organic means no pesticides.

People have the same trouble when determinism confronts them with the idea they have no free will. It's okay.

Carano has free speech. She isn't free however, to circumvent her company's policies.

Honestly as well look at whats happened, Gina hasnt been "silenced", she's lost one job after repeated statements and will probably get others and a big platform on right wing media.

You see this so often with conservative commentators or indeed centralists who face criticism, they don't lose their platform at all.

Thx for taking time out of your Valentine's Day to respond. I completely disagree.

Yes you're following. However, the boycott has historical significance that users exploit to lend good faith to its weaponization, which means any attempts at shame or social accountability will first have to penetrate that self created false esteem.

Pointing out the optical hypocrisy means nothing to the preset inflated sense of accomplishment, except to encourage them to double down.
I think people miss the point of hashtags trending for controversial behavior. If an elected representative expresses an unpopular/controversial stance on something, you may want to be informed of that moment before the news cycle refreshes --that they hold certain beliefs. It may affect your decisions in local politics, issues that affect you like insurance or wages or targeted legislation, etc

Angry hashtags about Stephen Colbert saying ching chong bing bong in an intentional sketch about offensive Asian stereotypes are allowed to make their case too, to whoever gives a shit, but they aren't anywhere nearly as important as something a senator or elected leader does. Hashtags put controversies in the news cycle and make them a topic of the public, it's just getting lumped in with tmz style outrage at celebrity behavior and blue comedy that dilutes the importance of following what your local reps do

I’d like to have someone explain this logic to me.

Republicans absolutely despise cancel culture. It’s a plague on society. So their response to Disney firing Gina is to get #canceldisneyplus trending on Twitter and cancel their service.

It’s not ok for them to fire an employee for doing something they don’t like but there’s no issue with cancelling them for doing something they don’t like? Am I following?

The same people who want Kennedy fired for being a "radical feminist". <45>

Honestly I think they overestimate the importance on politics in the declining box office of the sequels, the big issue there was simply fans didnt like the films they were watching the same way Abrams Trek franchise dropped off fast.

Frankie Adams, who portrays Bobbie Draper in The Expanse would be a good replacement for Cara Dune as well. Her character on The Expanse is basically the same archetype.

I suspect they won't directly recast the role as really Cara Dune didnt have much in the way of background or direct links into the plot, most likely they'll invent a somewhat similar character and add her to the Marshals of the New Republic show instead.

I'd agree Frankie Adams wouldnt be a bad choice, maybe not so good at action but a leading role for a show is going to need more acting chops.

My point is how disposable any of these actors are. There used to be a time when removing an actor in a tv series was a big issue and the fan reaction was severe, so you just didn't do it.
when

a time

I think people miss the point of hashtags trending for controversial behavior. If an elected representative expresses an unpopular/controversial stance on something, you may want to be informed of that moment before the news cycle refreshes --that they hold certain beliefs. It may affect your decisions in local politics, issues that affect you like insurance or wages or targeted legislation, etc

Angry hashtags about Stephen Colbert saying ching chong bing bong in an intentional sketch about offensive Asian stereotypes are allowed to make their case too, to whoever gives a shit, but they aren't anywhere nearly as important as something a senator or elected leader does. Hashtags put controversies in the news cycle and make them a topic of the public, it's just getting lumped in with tmz style outrage at celebrity behavior and blue comedy that dilutes the importance of following what your local reps do
You're blaming hashtags for obscuring local government? Do I read that correctly?

What I find weird is that they fire an actress because of some petty issues, without hesitation, but they don't care whatsoever for how it may impact the immersion & story. Sure, her character's arc had pretty much been done, but it's a matter of principle. Any other actor including Pedro Pascal would have been fired too, and it would have been much more impactful.

It's like they care more for their little woke issues than the quality of the films/series?
I mean, they could have have released a strongly worded statement condemning the tweets, then saying that Gina Carano would be fired after completing her arc in the series, with a life ban from Disney.

My point is how disposable any of these actors are. There used to be a time when removing an actor in a tv series was a big issue and the fan reaction was severe, so you just didn't do it.

And it's not like she said any of those things as Cara Dune though right? Like I couldn't care less how stupid or repulsive I found an actor's personal views in regards to their on screen roles. I probably wouldn't agree with a single political thought the plumber had, but that wouldn't make me hesitant to call him out when I needed a plumber. All that should matter is that they can do the job and remain professional while doing it.

Any other actor including Pedro Pascal would have been fired too, and it would have been much more impactful.

Didn't he already make a controversial tweet and nothing was done about it? I think he gets away with making the exact same post, even if he was a known conservative and not the woke individual that he is. Tough to imagine he would say anything that conflicts with the script though. McGregor and Jones have fucked up big several times and they're untouchable, if regular undercard guys did the same things they would have been goners.

I believe Pedro's post showed he's on the opposite side of Gina, so it was perfectly normal and not fucktarded.

Her character was too fat anyways. Sooner or later a stormtrooper would have hit that huge target.

Back