The Man, the Myth, the Legend: Bruce Lee

Notice Chuck was beardless? Only reason why Bruce won.

Blasphemy

0018.gif

I'm not sure Bruce would have dug MMA. -it's not healthy

I disagree... In his view, teaching others martial arts wasn't really teaching them "how to fight..." but "how to express themselves..." If they expressed themselves in martial competition (be it MMA, Boxing, or otherwise), then that is what he equipped them to do.

According to Richard Bustillo (who I train under), Bruce would have gotten a kick out of modern MMA. He would have been a fan. Dan Inosanto has also said the same.

According to Richard Bustillo (who I train under)

That guy's a bad ass. Basically a (more) legit version of the persona Seagal was trying to cultivate with the Lawman thing.

I disagree... In his view, teaching others martial arts wasn't really teaching them "how to fight..." but "how to express themselves..." If they expressed themselves in martial competition (be it MMA, Boxing, or otherwise), then that is what he equipped them to do.

According to Richard Bustillo (who I train under), Bruce would have gotten a kick out of modern MMA. He would have been a fan. Dan Inosanto has also said the same.

Ah thanks for the insight Kiryu.

That guy's a bad ass. Basically a (more) legit version of the persona Seagal was trying to cultivate with the Lawman thing.

Yeah, Sifu actually spent some years with the local PD and on the Search and Rescue team while training them. I consider myself very lucky to be able to train with him. He actually steps out onto the mat to instruct us...

Which (unfortunately), can't be said for the majority of Bruce's surviving students.

Ah thanks for the insight Kiryu.

No prob. Myself, like many others in this thread, started all of my martial aspirations from watching Bruce Lee movies. When I got a a bit older, I've come to appreciate a lot of the other things that Bruce has become associated with. I can't think of too many other positive influences in my life to be honest.

I mean, I could just choose to be that overweight, asthmatic, gamer/geek with my head lost in daydreams (which, in many ways I am). But life tends to be enjoyable if you take some time to actually live it. Many of the quotes taken from Bruce's writings are simply inspirational. Recognizing that and not going out of my way to do something in reflection is a waste in my view.

Am I the only one who isn't a really a fan of his movies but but is a huge fan of him as a philosopher and martial arts pioneer?

Moderate fan of his movies, big fan of his philosophy

His philosophy could pertain to the martial arts and being diverse, cross training, ect, and life in general. , it is brilliant and inspirational stuff.

Back