The Man, the Myth, the Legend: Bruce Lee

I don't get that really. Enter the Dragon is silly and ridulous compared to most of the other Bruce
Lee films (other than Game of Death -which is over the top too)

If I'm not mistaken, it was preserved in the National Film Registry. I wouldn't really call it "silly and ridiculous".

No matter anyone's opinion, it is one of the finest Bruce Lee and martial arts films ever to exist.

Am I the only one who isn't a really a fan of his movies but but is a huge fan of him as a philosopher and martial arts pioneer?

Alot of people feel this way if they are honest -butjust because his movies are influential -doesn't mean they are very good.

They are good to me mostly because I first watched them when I was 4 or 5 years old -which was mind blowing -as most things are at that age.

Chinese Connection was always my favorite of his films.

The man. It pisses me off to no end that he wasn't around to see the MMA boom. Would have loved to hear his insights on it and its development. Not to mention all the great movies we missed out on. Enter the Dragon still holds up as a classic.

If I'm not mistaken, it was preserved in the National Film Registry. I wouldn't really call it "silly and ridiculous".

No matter anyone's opinion, it is one of the finest Bruce Lee and martial arts films ever to exist.

It was preserved for cultural relevance -which has nothing to do with how silly the story is.

It's not that I don't like the film -it's just not as interesting as more realistic martial arts films to me.

I liked Chinese connection much better.

It's kind of funny, Bruce was a martial artist and a philosopher who would pretend to be an actor. Stephen Seagal and Jean Claude Van Dam are "actors" who pretend to be martial artists and philosophers.

The man. It pisses me off to no end that he wasn't around to see the MMA boom. Would have loved to hear his insights on it and its development. Not to mention all the great movies we missed out on. Enter the Dragon still holds up as a classic.

I honestly think he would have been the oldest man ever to go from a white belt to a black belt in BJJ history.

Agreed. I remember seeing Donnie Yen in the crowd during UFC Macao and my first thought was, "Hell yeah! Now there is a celeb that truly loves MMA.", and then my next thought was, "I bet Bruce would have been sitting right next to him." I went from excited to somewhat depressed.

EDIT: Wow. I feel like shit now.

It would have been really interesting to hear his take on MMA, or anything in general if he'd have lived on 'till today.

Here's an interesting read that I stumbled upon reguarding Bruce and MMA, had no idea they had did this: http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/trending/post/_/id/6769/mma-fighters-honor-bruce-lee-with-clothes

I'm not sure Bruce would have dug MMA. -it's not healthy

Seems to me he would be a health and fitness/self improvement God by now -and probably have his philosopy worshipped like a religion. Wouldn't seem like the violence and injury of MMA would be a good way for him to promote a holistic lifestyle.

I'd go to Bruce Lee church though.

Bruce is what got me into martial arts, and Im a nunchaku practitioner because of him as well.

When I went from rubber to plastic, my funny bones stopped being fans of mine, but now, I can swing those fuckers like nobody's business, even wood or metal ones. Haven't touched a pair in a while, but every time I pick one up, it all comes right back :icon_chee

I just read a few paragraphs, that is some quality work for sure, man.

The second part would probably be more interesting since it's an actual analysis of a Bruce Lee movie, not just theory like the first part.

Enter the Dragon is silly and ridulous compared to most of the other Bruce
Lee films (other than Game of Death -which is over the top too)

1) What qualifies as "silly," "ridiculous," and "over the top" to you?

2) How is Enter the Dragon "silly and ridiculous?"

3) Which version of The Game of Death are you talking about?

Alot of people feel this way if they are honest

Or people honestly enjoy them and do not find them "silly," "ridiculous," or "over the top."

just because his movies are influential -doesn't mean they are very good.

It's true that influence and quality are not the same thing, but Bruce Lee movies make for poor evidence here.

The man. It pisses me off to no end that he wasn't around to see the MMA boom. Would have loved to hear his insights on it and its development.

Would've been cool to see him side-by-side with Helio at UFC 1.

Not to mention all the great movies we missed out on.

This kills me more than words could ever express.

It's not that I don't like the film -it's just not as interesting as more realistic martial arts films to me.

Seeing how Bruce Lee and realism are synonymous in discussions of martial arts cinema, you're really going to have to clarify your conception of realism.

It's kind of funny, Bruce was a martial artist and a philosopher who would pretend to be an actor. Stephen Seagal and Jean Claude Van Dam are "actors" who pretend to be martial artists and philosophers.

Can't help but nitpick: Bruce was acting before he was practicing martial arts. He didn't start training martial arts until he was 13, but he'd already been acting since he was 6.

I'm not sure Bruce would have dug MMA. -it's not healthy

Seems to me he would be a health and fitness/self improvement God by now -and probably have his philosopy worshipped like a religion. Wouldn't seem like the violence and injury of MMA would be a good way for him to promote a holistic lifestyle.

I'd go to Bruce Lee church though.

You really don't know him very well, do you?

I was actually going to mention earlier that Bruce had been acting since he was a kid. Wasn't his father an actor in Hong Kong? I had to say pretending to go along with the rest of the statement but it is a slight stretch. But no one who knows anything about him considers him an actor above being a martial artist.

Edit- Darnit, that cool face slipped in by accident.

1740073_o.gif

There is a book out where it has all his quotes categorized in order that is really well read really makes you feel how wise and gifted he was at speaking.

When I went from rubber to plastic, my funny bones stopped being fans of mine, but now, I can swing those fuckers like nobody's business, even wood or metal ones. Haven't touched a pair in a while, but every time I pick one up, it all comes right back :icon_chee

In my 30 years on this Earth, the only time Ive ever needed x-rays was after hitting my elbows with them. Ive also hurt my wrists and head quite a few times. Its always worth it though.

Out of all my chucks, these are easily my favorite:

dscf0071d.jpg

In my 30 years on this Earth, the only time Ive ever needed x-rays was after hitting my elbows with them. Ive also hurt my wrists and head quite a few times. Its always worth it though.

Out of all my chucks, these are easily my favorite:

dscf0071d.jpg

What's the Garrote for? You an assassin?

Easy Clark. Don't get your Jimmies rustled. it was a joke.

Back