The Main Obstacle of Making the Khabib-Conor Rematch

Why not beat the pulp out of him again then and forever tarnish Conor's legacy? Hell if i was positive i was always going to win the same match up against a guy I dont like Id take that fight every time.

Why not make it like Ortiz/Shamrock where you beatdown your hated rival 3 times forever tarnishing his legacy?

I doubt Khabib is concerned with tarnishing anyone's legacy, he's likely more worried about his own legacy. He's beaten Conor and can move on to fight the opponents waiting for the title shots they've actually earned.

Cleaning out a weight-class is also better than fighting the same guy over and over again just because it makes Dana money. There's no legitimacy in giving the same guy unlimited title shots just for the hell of it. If Conor earns the rematch then if Khabib is still champ then by all means he should defend the belt against him.

Because rematches never go different from the first fight? I guess we should tell that to DC who totally wasnt ducking the Stipe rematch. After all he had a dominant win, how could it go any different?

The same logic could be used to basically setup an perpetual series of Khabib vs Conor fights.

“Fight who they put in front of you” because you need to prove that this rematch “won’t go differently this time” could basically see Conor and Khabib fighting again and again.

The reality is, it’s up to the losing fighter to demonstrate why things might be different if they were to rematch, and so far Conor hasn’t done that. He’s talked a lot, but in terms of actually going out and beating top tier mma fighters, he’s done very little.

At what point does it become ducking? Beat the guys they put in front of you. If he doesnt like Conor and think he can dominate him again why not do it?
Khabib said if Conor deserves it, he'll get the rematch. And i dont mean the whole 10-fight-win-streak which he obv. means hyperbole. Beating Cowboy at 170 in 2020 is not deserving it. Now if Conor goes out there and smashes Justin, me being a Khabib will be the first to say Conor earned his shot again.

This is a bigger obstacle...
tony-1-1.jpg

Honestly the most likely way we will see Khabib vs Conor 2 would be if Ferguson beats Khabib. Cause suddenly Khabib loses his leverage, and now the UFC holds leverage over him if he wants a rematch with Ferguson. A Khabib vs Conor 2 without a belt at stake would certainly sell less, but should still sell well enough to be something Dana would want to push for.

if he is so confident he might aswell give him that rematch tho?

Lets say you had to work and scrape by for years to accomplish something, only to be overlooked and have it gifted to someone else who had not earned it. Then you are forced to graft for years more to finally reach the pinnacle, which you do by emphatically vanquishing the very person you were set aside to accommodate. Would you really just give that same person another unearned opportunity, while rewarding the very entity that fucked you over in the first place?

Don't get me wrong, I would like nothing better than watching Khabib prison rape Conor on every single UFC card. But just once I would like to see that douchey little Leprechaun earn something. To see if he even can.

Conor didn't have anything handed to him.

He earned everything he got by being the best fight promoter in the game and going on a title run that ended with him destroying that division's undisputed GOAT.

He made himself the most marketable individual in the UFC, and since the UFC is a business they used that rare opportunity to their advantage by booking a champ-champ superfight.

If Khabib wants to be treated as special too, maybe he should work on being more interesting and maybe don't put a stain on the organization and publicly embarrass them like he did after he beat Conor.

The fact is that Khabib is currently the much better fighter but no one cares and Conor still has a much bigger following, and that hurts Khabib's tender feelings and he can't handle it so he drops all sorts of excuses when we know that he's really just bitter.

At what point does it become ducking? Beat the guys they put in front of you. If he doesnt like Conor and think he can dominate him again why not do it?

In my alternate universe Tony will beat Khabib, Conor beats Tony, and Khabib is the one begging for a rematch. Now that would be funny.
In the case of Khabib, it will never become ducking, not after the beating he put on that ginger the first time.

In my alternate universe Tony will beat Khabib, Conor beats Tony, and Khabib is the one begging for a rematch. Now that would be funny.

It becomes ducking if Conor beats Tony, Poirer, or Gaethje at 155 lbs and and Khabib still does not fight him.

Conor has won 1 fight, at 170 lbs, against a guy coming off 2 KO losses in 3 years. If you took his name off the record, not one single person on the planet would be suggesting he had done enough for a TS.

It is only ducking if someone declines fighting the TOP CONTENDER. Tony Ferguson is the #1 contender with a 12 fight win streak at 155 against former champions and top contenders. After Tony there are a few 155 fighters on three fight win streaks.

Meanwhile Conor is on a 1 fight win streak against a "Legend" that never held a belt and has lost about 6 of his last 10 fights. This is a joke.

Only noobs want to see Conor rematch Khabib.

---

Conor has fought five times against 155 fighters and lost twice. And in two of the fights (vs Nate and vs Donald) the UFC agreed to hold those matches without any weight cutting involved - even though the result of would directly impact the 155 rankings. The special treatment Conor gets is out of this world.

Use your reasoning. Stop being a fanboy.

Why not beat the pulp out of him again then and forever tarnish Conor's legacy? Hell if i was positive i was always going to win the same match up against a guy I dont like Id take that fight every time.

Why not make it like Ortiz/Shamrock where you beatdown your hated rival 3 times forever tarnishing his legacy?

There are two kinds of champions. The kind that wants to be a champion, and the kind who wants to be the greatest.
Khabib is the latter. He's focused on advancing his legacy through competition, he doesn't care about Conor's popularity.
So he's only going to take fights against legitimate contenders, not fights that increase his instagram followers.

Everyone knows despite being a fan favorite, Conor has never been the #1 contender at 155.
Make no mistake - Conor did NOT earn a title shot at 155 as a result of his body of work inside the octagon.
He earned because his unparalleled self promotion made him immensely popular thus profitable to book a title fight.

Beating fan favorites does nothing to cement one's legacy. Beating #1 contenders makes you the greatest.

So, in your opinion, did Conor duck Aldo? Holloway? Poirier?

Conor has a history of ducking people. He left Cage Warriors without defending any belts. He never defended the belt at 145 in the UFC...yet he has the audacity to call himself the champ champ. The ONE time he defended his title against Khabib, he lost.

Based on his record of never successfully defending four belts...Conor is the most famous paper champion ever.

Of course he ducked ALDO, Aldo was on like a 15 fight win streak. Not giving him a rematch was robbery.
Of course he ducked MAX, you can't call yourself the champ champ, if someone else is holding the belt.
Of course he ducked Poirier and Gatheje, Conor campaigned to fight Donald Cerrone even though Donald was on a 2 fight skid and never held a belt in his life.

The only people who want to see Conor fight Khabib again are delusional fanboys.

Its not about being able to beat Conor or not, its about NOT giving Conor what he wants and what he obviously doesn't deserve.

If Conor wants his fight so bad, let him donate his entire purse to charity so he makes ZERO profit on this fight. But that won't happen, because Conor knows that a big fight will get him paid, even when he's going to lose again and again. And all Conor cares about is money...

Conor shit the bed in his fight with Khabib. He needs to work his way back up, and fight actual contenders if he wants a title shot. Despite the bullshit the UFC is selling you guys, Cerrone is not a top contender anymore.

Why? Khabib only wants to fight the best and that is not Conor.

I’m good with this I only want to see the best fighting the best.

Not true, when everyone knows that you fought him at your best but nowhere near his.

In which case that's Ginger's problem, not Khabib. He went in there and beat him at every aspect of the game, that fight was not even competitive and could have been stopped earlier even.

Not interested in another uncompetitive fight.

The biggest obstacle has been conor's refusal to fight anybody else at 155.

khabib should absolutely fight tony first.

he has had only 1 fight since fighting conor.

he was gifted the title by not having to go through tony.

tony was the rightful interim champ. 4 years ago.

I would rather see him fight Justin than conor if he can get past tony.

he is a hypocrite at best, he has never beaten, much less fought a champion in any division.

I know he has bad blood with the mouthy Irishman, but... conor is the only fighter to has won

a round against khabib. he beat the same guy Justin beat more impressively.

the lightweight division is a mess right now. to have beaten barboza, al, dustin and conor.

that is not exactly what I would consider a killers row. khabib is good, but I feel he needs

to shut up and fight. he talks about conor almost every day. why? because without conor

he just isn't the celebrity that he is today. he should thank him. I don't even like conor,

but I would rather watch him fight than see khabib dive for ankles and hold onto legs for dear life.

Honestly the most likely way we will see Khabib vs Conor 2 would be if Ferguson beats Khabib. Cause suddenly Khabib loses his leverage, and now the UFC holds leverage over him if he wants a rematch with Ferguson. A Khabib vs Conor 2 without a belt at stake would certainly sell less, but should still sell well enough to be something Dana would want to push for.
You may be right, but I wouldn't be too bothered about them fighting in a non title bout, Conor shouldn't be anywhere near a title shot.

Back