The Main Obstacle of Making the Khabib-Conor Rematch

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Portland8242, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Portland8242 Black Belt

Khabib never forgets.

A lot of short memories in the UFC brass apparently. Are they just gonna pretend they didn't fuck Khabib out of a title shot in 2016 only to give it to Conor?

Good on him for taking Diaz on short notice when RDA pulled out, but at the end of the day he got beat by the LW gatekeeper and barely scraped by him in a rematch.

Meanwhile Khabib - with his massive winstreak and undefeated pedigree - who already had a win over the champion, was used as a pawn to make Eddie sign for less money to fight Conor - the title shot that should have been Khabib's.

And to compound the nonsense, they let Conor hold the LW title hostage while he ran off to fight Floyd - further keeping Khabib from winning the title and putting the whole damn division on hold.

THIS is the main reason Khabib will never give Conor a rematch. He's incredibly sick of this jabroni having everything handed to him at other fighter's expense. He's not going to become part of the problem by giving him yet another undeserved title shot. Unlike in 2016 - he has legit leverage now that he holds the title and has a win over Conor.

2. Szwok Brown Belt

if he is so confident he might aswell give him that rematch tho?

3. theleerygoose Purple Belt

At what point does it become ducking? Beat the guys they put in front of you. If he doesnt like Conor and think he can dominate him again why not do it?

In my alternate universe Tony will beat Khabib, Conor beats Tony, and Khabib is the one begging for a rematch. Now that would be funny.

4. Portland8242 Black Belt

Yeah sorry but when you already hold a dominant win over someone it will never, ever become "ducking" from that point on.

5. El Fernas Silver Belt

Its not about confidence, Conor himself might not be confident going into a rematch, its about giving the rematch or not to Conor, i seriously doubt Khabib isnt confident on it, my guess is that everyone favors Khabib if it happens, but he doesnt want to just hand him another title fight, dude holds all the cards imho.

6. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

What kind of nonsensical reasoning is this? Conor has done nothing to even sniff a rematch. Khabib's confidence has nothing to do with it, even though I'm sure he's fairly confident in beating him again.

7. theleerygoose Purple Belt

Because rematches never go different from the first fight? I guess we should tell that to DC who totally wasnt ducking the Stipe rematch. After all he had a dominant win, how could it go any different?

8. Benoitthegr8 Yellow Card Yellow Card

Legitimacy

ability to be defended with logic or justification; validity

9. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

Shrug. Dana is in the money business, and as we learned with Fedor, he's not very understanding when money isn't the highest priority for people he's negotiating with. He just seems intellectually incapable of processing that money may not be the most important motivator for what drives some people.

He may convince Khabib to take a big money fight against Khabib's initial opinions. If he cannot, I'm very curious where it goes from there. It's hard to imagine either extreme - Khabib accepting, or Dana stripping him.

Most likely outcome, Dana convinced Khabib.

10. IrritatedTomcat Red Belt

The main obstacle is Khabib said no.

/thread lol

11. theleerygoose Purple Belt

Why not beat the pulp out of him again then and forever tarnish Conor's legacy? Hell if i was positive i was always going to win the same match up against a guy I dont like Id take that fight every time.

Why not make it like Ortiz/Shamrock where you beatdown your hated rival 3 times forever tarnishing his legacy?

12. Willie Brown Belt

When you beat a guy in such a dominant way, a rematch becomes almost demeaning. I think Khabib has better things to achieve than to spend 8 weeks in camp, make weight again, go through all the shit he already went through in the 1st fight, just to beat that guy again. He was talking about how he lacked motivation in his previous fights, at least the dustin one, because they were not really his choice of top fights. Knowing all that, why the hell would he rematch Conor ?

13. MoneyMcGrabber Orange Belt

So, in your opinion, did Conor duck Aldo? Holloway? Poirier?

14. Sam's UFC title reign Orange Belt

Well, that was different because Stipe was the last legitimate threat in the weight class at the time. At this point in time Ngannou had just lost to Lewis. With Khabib he has options. Tony, Gaethje, winner of Felder Hooker etc. He can do many different things

15. SpoonDogg Green Belt

This is a bigger obstacle...
    [​IMG]

16. Wizzlebiz Wizzlebiz is the Wizziest

When you smashed like khabib did to conor.

It's never considered ducking after that.

17. Paynebringer Titanium Ape Planet Belt... Always Defend ♠♠♠

Thanks for the reminders and the backstory again, but it was well established that Khabib was/is the obstacle to any rematch and rightfully so. And it makes me all warm and tingly inside that Khabib is giving Dana ulcers in trying to keep Conor protected from all other harm and get him to a belt fight without a scratch.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  18. Mahkor Drunkmaster Flex Banned

How did they fucked Khabib? Tony was the one that got fucked in 2016.

19. sandinski White Belt

Oh how Conor fans forget.

20. Tnellie30 Purple Belt

Main obstacle:

Nobody, in their right mind, should have any reason to give a fuck about an underserved rematch.

Khabib is the only one with any integrity in the situation, and this is how he feels. I hope he sticks to his word.