The Magical Jabs

Every jab he throws. See how his guard is high? The trip-hammer style jab comes down from the guard with the fist nearly vertical. What defines it is two things: how fast it falls, and how it doesn't seem very hard. Trinidad used it to distract opponents and set up his power-shots.

Here's a Fight that doesn't end so quick, but he throws it sparingly.

YouTube - felix tito trinidad vs hassine cherifi

Is Glenn Johnson's jab a trip hammer jab?

Floyd has an excellent 1-2 to the body. Almost always stopped bigger guys in their tracks because the cross following the jab, he'd float down with it and spear you in the guts.

wait. you mean a jab upstairs and cross to the stomach? or just a jab cross straight to the gut? because you would need some speed for that trick. but hey i dont doubt floyds quickness for a second.

Thanks for a useful thread on the most critical weapon in combat sports

im new to washington and looking for a good mma school to train at. i've nerrowed it down to amc pancration, victory athletics, team psycho and acadamey of brian johnson. if you know about these schools or their reputation, please help me in making my decision, thanks

sinister/kabuki-

awesome thread. few questions from a mma standpoint though. what would work best besides the power jab when you have to worry about takedowns and leg kicks? i like the trip power jab as it distracts, but most distracting jabs seem like they either come from a high guard which leaves me ripe for liver kicks, or with a low lead hand which i feel VERY uncomfortable with.

currently working on my hand speed but it seems anything other than a power jab would probably leave me in trouble at this point but i'm keeping at it.

any help would be much needed/appreciated from a standup guru like yourself.

sinister/kabuki-

awesome thread. few questions from a mma standpoint though. what would work best besides the power jab when you have to worry about takedowns and leg kicks? i like the trip power jab as it distracts, but most distracting jabs seem like they either come from a high guard which leaves me ripe for liver kicks, or with a low lead hand which i feel VERY uncomfortable with.

currently working on my hand speed but it seems anything other than a power jab would probably leave me in trouble at this point but i'm keeping at it.

any help would be much needed/appreciated from a standup guru like yourself.

How do you throw your power jab? And do you use it for distracting mainly?

gimp-

i throw the power jab with a small step and a "pop" in the shoulder, and i don't use it for distracting. since i'm slow and new, this is one of the first jab's i've been working on since i started training. once i get the basics down effectively i'd definitely like to move on to different jabs, and im mostly curious about these jabs' use for mma.

Is Tyson's jab a good example of a trip hammer jab?

I don't think so. Tyson in his prime when his jab was effective used a power-jab.

I don't think so. Tyson in his prime when his jab was effective used a power-jab.

It seems it usually landed vertically and came down from the nose though. Although of course it was more powerful then usual jabs.

Mr. Sinister i really apreaciate ur comments on quarteys jab,it was a sublime an very underrated weapon that people forget gave de la hoya fits,ike was my favourite of the great group of welters at that time,dlh tito pernell an ike 2

any suggestions for good southpaw jabs? ive been watching alot of p. whitaker fights lately... anyone else?

There's no reason any of the listed jabs can't be used by Southpaws.

nope i dont believe their ever was vitor belfort even pointed this out in his 2001 training vid

There ever was what?

Back