The Magical Jabs

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Sinister, Nov 18, 2008.

1. eneck Yellow Belt

André Dida showed in a JAB video for MMA

2. Tazmanian Huevos Soldier Of Sinister

3. Ivanko White Belt

Great job!
    I would add Klitschko brothers as the illustration to the power jab.
    They have won 90% of their fights due to this punch.
    They used to throw their punches to the head, to the body and suddenly converted these jabs into left hook.
    If you watch Wladimir Klitchko vs Kurbat Pulev fight, you see that Kurbat Pulev was completely disoriented and was able to tell which of the three punches comes next. Was knocked out finally by this disguised left hook.

In Lennox Lewis vs Vitalii Klichko fight, Lennox lost the jab war.

4. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

5. shpboris Blue Belt

Great jab/jab defense from Tim Witherspoon

6. Travis17 Yellow Belt

Are there any pros who explain step by step the double jab? Even though I've been training a few years now, I still feel awkward throwing it and like I'm doing it wrong. I don't know how far you're suppose to bring your arm back or if you're suppose to move your hip in on both punches, etc. Same with double cross or double hook as well. I just want it broken down on how to perfectly execute it and I haven't had a coach that could do it I think.

7. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

Same here! I'm not good with it either, and my jab isn't exactly slow

8. BillytheFish Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

thats awesome jabbing from the chest, would love to see how fast your jabs are in sparring, if only to see how that flared elbow works out

9. Minowafanatic Black Belt

it's amazing how a person can fail to make themself look good even just for a whole 1 second video

10. Travis17 Yellow Belt

Since I guess there are no videos or any guides on it. Is it normal for your hip not to move on the second punch or should you be moving your hip on a double jab or cross or hook? Should your arm being going all the way back to the starting position before throwing the second punch?

11. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

Thanks man.

12. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

Flaring elbow coming your way from the greatest jab of all time...

13. sepp2323 Green Belt

that was great!

14. right hand lead Purple Belt

Anybody catch the Andre Fili vs Myles Jury fight? Beautiful jab work from Fili!

15. pjdjtrakataka White Belt

I'm creating the most in-depth guide of all time on the jab and double jab. I'd like to share a whopping 31 (actually, 36 and rising now) types of jabs with you and research the answers to any of your biggest questions regarding the jab and double jab. Do you have any questions for me? Thanks. Written portion should be done in a week, video supplements will take a bit longer. I briefly explain some of the less common names here:
    1. basic jab (so much on this alone. many differences between boxing and mma, bladed vs squared stance...)
    2. step jab (lunging vs small steps and the difference between following the lead leg with the rear or just returning the lead leg back are huge topics)
    3. backstep jab (huge category for all retreating jabs)
    4. up-jab
    5. corkscrew
    6. jabbercut
    7. down jab (btw who used this beside Lomachenko? guessing mostly tall/long guys)
    8. stiff jab
    9. pivot jab
    10. power jab (I really delve into foot, hip, waist, shoulder rotation here)
    11. Range-finding jab
    12. counter jab (perhaps the most complex topic or diverse type of jab)
    13. body jab (and jabbing anywhere besides the head, like the shoulder to break balance)
    14. jab from long guard (I kinda made this up)
    15. arm jab (usually a feint starting from the shoulder without body power behind it)
    16. flicker jab (like the arm jab but even faster, from the elbow, and more likely to be used repetitively)
    17. pawing jab
    18. lazy jab
    19. vertical jab (I discuss fist angles in depth here, more practical for small gloves/barefists)
    20. 45 degree jab
    21. backhand jab
    22. Superman jab
    23. (Trip)Hammer Jab (downward hammer motion typically aiming for the bridge of the nose or to push a guard down)
    24. Step Through Jab (stepping 45 degrees to the rear side with the rear foot during the throw )
    25. Forearm crush AKA chicken wing jab (more of a smothering block and framing move https://media.giphy.com/media/yvzJcXYDuewgHb8KmF/giphy.gif)
    26. slip jab
    27. Trapping Jab
    28. Flip Jab (I'm still unfamiliar with this, appears to be almost a backfist upward hammer motion using a lot of elbow?)
    29. Blinding Jab (as a main goal here as opposed to a side-effect with lazy, pawing, stiff, or other jabs)
    30. Jab/Hook hybrid (one of my favorite secret techniques recently)
    31. Stiff-arm Jab (also called a set jab, posting, or barricade- more of a push or framing purpose than the stiff jab)
    and recently discovered:
    bazooka jab
    Slapping jab
    Tapper jab
    Space-maker
    Spear jab

Some topics and questions I am addressing:
    -When it may be appropriate to only partially retract a jab or not retract at all.
    -How does power come from the feet, waist, shoulders, or snap of turning over the wrist? (hint, the kinetic chain starts from the floor and travels the whole body)
    -How different gloves and rules among kickboxing, boxing, and mma affect the jab and jab defense?
    -Jabs differences among orthodox/southpaw vs orthodox/southpaw matchups
    -Jabs vs shorter or longer opponents

16. MMA_Wrestling93 White Belt

17. JohnEllis White Belt

Pryor vs. Arguello is my favorite. It was quite good and right jab.

18. Stujitsu1 White Belt

I really like the low jab because its also a slip. Enter with a low jab then high jab, or low jab high cross.

19. Minowafanatic Black Belt