The Loser mentality inside MMA media when arguing about Khabib

The point is his father wanted him to go 30-0 and he is using his father as an excuse to stop 29-0, which doesn't make any sense.
This is something him and his father started together, I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to think he wouldn’t want to continue without his him. On top of that he promised his mother he wouldn’t continue to fight.

If he did in fact miss weight as you say then the UFC helped him cover it up, and I’m almost willing to bet the UFC would do it again in a heartbeat if Khabib truly wanted to continue.

I've listened to multiple media outlets, read multiple articles and it seems like everyone values a loss or adversity for MMA and find some way to hold that against Khabib(but not Jon or Izzy)

As @Ufcmaster , Dan Hardy has been preaching for about a year plus about Khabib not having a loss as a fighter. Says a fight on your record forces you to correct your mistakes and get you better as a fighter. I listened to a pocast which shall be named where one author argued that they value GSP's record over Khabib's because GSP has losses on his record and how he over came that. What? It's one thing to value his record, the quality of opponents, but simply because he has losses on his record? What?

Khabib is fighting elite level competition and dominating them. Why does he need to lose to prove he's great?

I agree failure can be life's best teacher, but I don't think you need to lose to necessarily get better. Khabib has shown us how much better than he is against everyone else, but he hasn't shown us the best khabib out there.

Usain Bolt has 12 golds, but can’t be goat unless someone beat him at the Olympics..
That sort of thinking is weird.
Some People like seeing someone come back from adversity, but I don’t think he needs to lose to be considered great

Usain Bolt has 12 golds, but can’t be goat unless someone beat him at the Olympics..
That sort of thinking is weird.
Some People like seeing someone come back from adversity, but I don’t think he needs to lose to be considered great
Wait, have people actually said that about usain bolt? LOL

Wait, have people actually said that about usain bolt? LOL
I bet you will find someone with that weird logic.
It makes no sense to say you are only good if you have lost.

It’s a silly mentality for sure. We didn’t really see him face any true adversity in the octagon outside of a couple brief moments but let’s be real, we can’t fault the dude for dominating every opponent.

Analysts just have butt holes for mouths and have verbal diarrhea. Khabib is already miles above his competition at LW. Also, this is true for any sport, Champions and GOATs face their adversity in practice and training more than anybody else. Other fighters when they get near the the top in rankings don’t like being humbled by their coaches/sparring partners.

Dan Hardy is a one dimensional fighter who gets triggered by 13 year olds on twitter. Wouldn't be ranked in today's division
I loved when that kid said I'd have as big a chance as you had to beat gsp if i went in the octagon with him, which is true, because hardy had no fucking chance against gsp at all.

Hardy speaks some truth here but he came off in the wrong way. Khabib never fought a hard style matchup like other guys have. His resume is still great but he lacks the very difficult stylistic challenges i'd say other GOATS like Aldo,GSP and Silva face.

Obviously it’s stupid to hold against someone not having any losses. People go to the extremes in these discussions. Losses are overstated as well.

Khabib’s record and performances have been amazing and he’s clearly among the best to ever do it. He wasn’t at the top for as many fights as some of his peers in the goat discussion. So ultimately his case will have supporters and detractors and there is no right or wrong answer, but he’s obviously in the mix.
Well put

Only thing to hold against Khabib are him arguably ducking tough matchups and him retiring after just 3 defenses. We don't need to know how he'd bounce back from a loss, what's more important is to see how he'd do against Colby, Usman, Oliveira, Tony etc.. Anybody that isn't a striker with no offense off of their backs. The 0 doesn't matter, winning 13 straight fights at 155 is what matters. The 29-0 crap is annoying, there was a dude in Bellator that was 30-0, Khabib is 13-0 against actual competition.

His streak inside of the UFC is comparable to Holloway's streak at 145, Khabib won 13 straight and defended 3x, Max won 14 straight and defended 3x. Usman is 1 defense away from being 13 straight wins with 3 defenses as well. Khabib is not the GOAT but is an excellent fighter, people need to stop obsessing over the 0 on a fighters record.

I've listened to multiple media outlets, read multiple articles and it seems like everyone values a loss or adversity for MMA and find some way to hold that against Khabib(but not Jon or Izzy)

As @Ufcmaster , Dan Hardy has been preaching for about a year plus about Khabib not having a loss as a fighter. Says a fight on your record forces you to correct your mistakes and get you better as a fighter. I listened to a pocast which shall be named where one author argued that they value GSP's record over Khabib's because GSP has losses on his record and how he over came that. What? It's one thing to value his record, the quality of opponents, but simply because he has losses on his record? What?

Khabib is fighting elite level competition and dominating them. Why does he need to lose to prove he's great?

I agree failure can be life's best teacher, but I don't think you need to lose to necessarily get better. Khabib has shown us how much better than he is against everyone else, but he hasn't shown us the best khabib out there.

You're way too invested in the accomplishments of others. Try to find your own identity and sense of self-worth.

Khabib has lost in his life. Just not as a professional MMA fighter.

I get both sides of the argument and used to think that (and at times with certain fighters, still do). Khabib beat everyone in front of him and as far and I know, didn't turn anyone one. If he's that much better, everyone's got to live with it.

I used to think the same about Floyd Mayweather, but then his win column ticked closer and closet to 50 wins lol. My only "criticism" of Floyd's approach was that there were a few fights later where fighters weren't really a threat when he fought them (Canelo was probably a bit underdone and Manny was overdone for example). Different thread

Hardy is full of crap.
Some fighters lose a fight but believe they have won and take zero lessons from it.
Some fighters win a fight but believe in their mind that they have 'lost'.

Everything depends on the expectations of a fighter not a win or loss.
Everyone can see the huge improvement in the stand up game between 6 years ago and now. He didn't need a loss for these improvements.
Khabibs ex training partner Luke Rockhold got knocked out in his fight.
Did he learn something or take a lesson? No he got knocked out again with the same holes in his game.
You don't have to lose to improve.
Losing is a tought in your mind amd depends on expectations not on wins or loss.

Khabibs favorite line is a quote if GSP
' you have to stay white belt in your mind.'

Hardy speaks some truth here but he came off in the wrong way. Khabib never fought a hard style matchup like other guys have. His resume is still great but he lacks the very difficult stylistic challenges i'd say other GOATS like Aldo,GSP and Silva face.
What's a hard style match up for Khabib?

- He fought the BJJ MT guy (RDA)
- He fought the fast hands lefty (MJ)
- He fought the kicker (Edson)
- He fought the anti wrestler guy (Al)
- He fought the deadly striker (conrat)
- He fought the all round guy (DP)
- He fought the D1 striker + kicker (Justin)

Maybe offensive wrestlers?
- Ali Bagov >>> Kevin Lee
- RDA and Al beat lee too

Crazy sub attackers like tony and Aloe Vera Would get their faces smashed in trying to play cute on their back lol

There's no real hard match up for Khabib.
He could beat most fighters with just his insane pace + pressure and takedown threat

Last edited:
Back