The Lockdown?

GKY

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I went to my first tournament a few weeks ago and two of my opponents ended up using the lockdown on me and trying for the electric chair sweep. Fortunately I'm crazy flexible so the position didn't bug me and I used half guard ezekiel threats to get them off of me. Since then I've been focusing on the lockdown, both defense and offense.

I've noticed that when I get the lockdown people usually make a lot of space with their free leg to avoid the old school sweep. If I have the underhook I used this space to enter deep half guard, and if not I go for the electric chair sweep.

For defense I usually just bend my knee so they can't stretch me out then go for half guard ezekiels to set up the pass.

My question is mainly directed towards to more experienced grapplers; technically speaking are the set ups I'm doing going to be getting me in trouble when I'm going against higher belts (like Brown and Black). Also, what is everyone's general opinion of the lockdown?

Personally I'm not really a big fan of 10th planet stuff, but I do feel that their stuff can be useful if they're part of your game, but not the entire focus of your game.

Edit: one final question. Is the electric chair sweep/submission legal under IBJJF rules at white and blue belt?

legal: submissions streching the legs apart.

I would highly advise against that defense. You can grab their ass and mule kick out simplest solution. More convoluted defence, windshield wiper your tapped hook off their ankle and figure four behind the knee.

You should never be tapping to the electric chair, just concede the sweep

I would highly advise against that defense. You can grab their ass and mule kick out simplest solution. More convoluted defence, windshield wiper your tapped hook off their ankle and figure four behind the knee.

You should never be tapping to the electric chair, just concede the sweep

thats not up to you, if you got in the electric chair, you are either too flexible not to tap or you are going to tap, even if you concede the sweep, you are still caught on the electric chair, only difference now you are on bottom and he is on top...

Linked hands under the butt and kick out is very effective and easy to remember after repping it out. Usually they can catch you back into a regular half guard setup but if you triangle your legs and sit back they cant regain lockdown. From there you can pop the knee up and set up knee slice pass.

Electric Chair is a legit sweep, and a legit (even if flexibility dependent) submission. I'm not an Eddie Bravo fanboy either.

thats not up to you, if you got in the electric chair, you are either too flexible not to tap or you are going to tap, even if you concede the sweep, you are still caught on the electric chair, only difference now you are on bottom and he is on top...

It's almost impossible to finish if you give up the sweep. I am an extremely inflexible guy saying this too.

It's almost impossible to finish if you give up the sweep. I am an extremely inflexible guy saying this too.

the guy applying it to you is probably not doing it right... Ive tapped several people with it, from top position.

I've trained with multiple 10P blacks and browns lol. I can only think of one time I've seen someone finished with it in competition

I've trained with multiple 10P blacks and browns lol. I can only think of one time I've seen someone finished with it in competition

well, Ive not finished anyone in competition thats for sure, im talking about training...the mechanics is the same though...

I just feel that its like the can opener, yeah it can be a submission but just open your guard and move.

On the electrin chair once they're on top you can get heavy with the top leg and they can't finish it. If they're super low you can even put a butterfly hook in. Defeating the electric chair submission is a lot like defending the stack IMO

I just feel that its like the can opener, yeah it can be a submission but just open your guard and move.

On the electrin chair once they're on top you can get heavy with the top leg and they can't finish it. If they're super low you can even put a butterfly hook in. Defeating the electric chair submission is a lot like defending the stack IMO

it depends, if your opponent has your leg on top of his shoulder, you really cant do much, if he has your leg on top of his arm/bicep, then the sub is not possible, but that is not the correct technique...

Even on the shoulder I feel like if you're heavy with the leg you can survive.

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree lol. I will post the comp footage I've seen with the submission when I get home

Even on the shoulder I feel like if you're heavy with the leg you can survive.

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree lol. I will post the comp footage I've seen with the submission when I get home

no problem man... would be cool if you can find the vid....

It's a good sweep, I wouldn't make it the core of your game but if it's there go for it. The danger of the lockdown is that you've killed your own hip mobility and are at some risk of being flattened out and crushed with very little counterplay. But I'm not going to say it can't work.

Back