THE LION KING (First Reactions)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: November 23, 2018

First Official Trailer for Disney and Jon Favreau's THE LION KING

Director Jon Favreau’s all-new “The Lion King” journeys to the African savanna where a future king is born. The all-star cast includes Donald Glover as Simba, Beyoncé Knowles-Carter as Nala, James Earl Jones as Mufasa, Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar, Seth Rogen as Pumbaa and Billy Eichner as Timon. Utilizing pioneering filmmaking techniques to bring treasured characters to life in a whole new way, Disney’s “The Lion King” roars into theaters on July 19, 2019.

Jon Favreau to Direct Disney's Live-Action/CG Film THE LION KING

GzafmxD.jpg

Disney’s animated classic The Lion King is the latest movie that will be re-imagined as a live-action/CG project.

Disney is reteaming with Jon Favreau, the filmmaker who brought to life The Jungle Book, for a 21st century take on the tale, which Disney has fast-tracked to production, the studio announced.

The Lion King builds on Disney’s success of reimagining its classics for a contemporary audience with films like Maleficent, Cinderella and The Jungle Book,” the company said on its website. “The upcomingBeauty and the Beast, starring Emma Watson as Belle, is already one of the most anticipated movies of 2017. Like Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King will include songs from the animated film.”

The new take won’t be live-action per se but will definitely look it. Favreau will build on what he accomplished with Jungle Book – using a real child actor and bringing to life the jungle and its animals via cutting edge technology and a green-screen set in a Los Angeles studio.

'The Lion King' Live-Action Movie in the Works from Disney and Jon Favreau

I liked The Jungle Book, I liked Cinderella and Malificent as well.

I have high hopes for Beauty and the Beast and I hope the Lion King turns out good.

I liked The Jungle Book, I liked Cinderella and Malificent as well.

I have high hopes for Beauty and the Beast and I hope the Lion King turns out good.

Lion King will be the first one of these without a human in it is an anchor. Will be interesting to see how it's pulled off.

Lion King will be the first one of these without a human in it is an anchor. Will be interesting to see how it's pulled off.
I mean, there's not much human activity in Jungle Book, it's almost all CGI besides Mogly obviously. So you can get a feel for how it's going to be

Jon Favreau to Direct Disney's Live-Action/CG Film THE LION KING

Jon-Favreau-The-Lion-King-Dragonlord.jpg

Disney’s animated classic The Lion King is the latest movie that will be re-imagined as a live-action/CG project.

Disney is reteaming with Jon Favreau, the filmmaker who brought to life The Jungle Book, for a 21st century take on the tale, which Disney has fast-tracked to production, the studio announced.

The Lion King builds on Disney’s success of reimagining its classics for a contemporary audience with films like Maleficent, Cinderella and The Jungle Book,” the company said on its website. “The upcomingBeauty and the Beast, starring Emma Watson as Belle, is already one of the most anticipated movies of 2017. Like Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King will include songs from the animated film.”

The new take won’t be live-action per se but will definitely look it. Favreau will build on what he accomplished with Jungle Book – using a real child actor and bringing to life the jungle and its animals via cutting edge technology and a green-screen set in a Los Angeles studio.

'The Lion King' Live-Action Movie in the Works from Disney and Jon Favreau
Just like nobody else could be Darth Vader (at least the voice), nobody else can be Mufasa. Everyone else is pretty replaceable, but not Mufasa. They better do what the Star Wars franchise did and get James Earl Jones on the horn asap. He's pretty old.

Update: February 17, 2017

LION KING Casts Donald Glover as Simba, James Earl Jones as Mufasa

2aGyoVG.jpg

Donald Glover is going to be king. The star has been cast in Disney's remake of The Lion King as Simba, with director Jon Favreau announcing the news on Twitter. Favreau also revealed James Earl Jones will reprise his role as Mufasa, the beloved father character he voiced in the 1994 animated original.

Favreau first met Glover at The Hollywood Reporter's conversation on creativity in December, where Favreau told Glover his son is a fan of the star's music, which he performs under the name Childish Gambino. ("By the way, full disclosure: I see your face every day when I wake up my 15-year-old son because on his door is a portrait of you," Favreau told the actor-musician.)

Favreau brought The Jungle Book to life last year, and though The Lion King won’t be live-action, it will look it. Favreau has plans to build upon his work on Jungle Book, which featured a human child actor and brought a jungle and its animals to life using cutting-edge technology and green screen.

Jeff Nathanson, a Steven Spielberg favorite, is writing the take on the animated classic, which is considered one of the pinnacles of Disney’s animated movies. In the original film, Jonathan Taylor Thomas voiced young Simba, while Matthew Broderick voiced the adult version of the character.

In addition to Simba, Glover is taking on another iconic role, playing Lando Calrissian in the young Han Solo Star Wars spinoff, which is currently filming. Jones, well known as a Star Wars veteran, reprised his voice work as Darth Vader in December's Star Wars: A Rogue One Story.

Disney's Live-Action 'Lion King' Movie Casts Donald Glover as Simba and James Earl Jones as Mufasa

I'm happy that James Earl Jones and his epic voice is still alive to do this.

I'm still trying to understand how this will work. Will they be voice actors? Motion capture? Both?

This could be interesting. But really, hmm.

Disney sure loves them some Dong Lover right now.

They better include a transgender Buffalo.

I'm happy that James Earl Jones and his epic voice is still alive to do this.

I hope he has the energy to voice Mufasa for the required scenes. He sounded pretty old as Vader in Rogue One.

As long as James Earl Jones is in it, I'm happy. Everyone else can be re-casted. I know the lady who played Mufasa's wife is dead. Died shortly after the original Lion King.

I was skeptical at first of these Disney live action remakes, but the Jungle Book was really really good and I think Beauty and the Beast will probably be good. I wish Disney would have casted a beautiful French woman though, considering Belle is French. Whatever though...I think these live actions will keep coming and keep being pretty good.

I think the live action Aladdin is going to have a lot of potential. I'm just thinking of the type of shit they can do with that Prince Ali song in a live action scenario. Though it does make me wonder what the fuck they are going to do with the Genie. That essentially was Robin Williams' schtick. Going to be tough for someone to fill those shoes without modifying the character to an extent.

Lion King should be good with Favreau at the helm. Jungle Book was quality so the precedent was set. The Lion King just doesn't really strike me as a movie that was clamoring to be re-imaged/redone.

Update: March 30, 2017

Beyonce Frontrunner to Voice Nala in THE LION KING Live-Action Movie

Mr6le2w.jpg

Disney’s Lion King live-action reboot is getting in formation. Sources tell Variety that Beyonce is director Jon Favreau’s top choice to voice Nala in the upcoming remake.

Insiders stress that the Grammy winner has not made a decision regarding the film yet, as the star is pregnant with twins. But since it’s a voice-acting role, sources say the studio and director will do whatever it takes to accommodate her schedule. The songstress announced her pregnancy in early February and dropped out as a Coachella headliner by month’s end. Lady Gaga will replace the “Single Ladies” singer at the desert music and arts festival next month.

Donald Glover is on board to voice Simba and James Earl Jones is reprising his role as Simba’s father, Mufasa.

Favreau is directing with Jeff Nathanson writing. The film is being fast-tracked, even as Favreau begins development on his sequel to the recent hit The Jungle Book.

Beyonce Top Choice to Voice Nala in ‘Lion King’ Remake (Exclusive)

Some people are criticizing that yet another White man is directing intellectual properties that might mutually benefit a more ... authentic talent.

Little known fact, however, Jon Favreau is indeed half-African warthog.

Jon-Favreau-The-Lion-King-Dragonlord.jpg

And a hot tuna jambalaya, ah, to you.

Update: March 30, 2017

Beyonce Frontrunner to Voice Nala in Disney's THE LION KING Live-Action Movie

Disney’s “Lion King” live-action reboot is getting in formation. Sources tell Variety that Beyonce is director Jon Favreau’s top choice to voice Nala in the upcoming remake.

Insiders stress that the Grammy winner has not made a decision regarding the film yet, as the star is pregnant with twins. But since it’s a voice-acting role, sources say the studio and director will do whatever it takes to accommodate her schedule. The songstress announced her pregnancy in early February and dropped out as a Coachella headliner by month’s end. Lady Gaga will replace the “Single Ladies” singer at the desert music and arts festival next month.

Donald Glover is on board to voice Simba and James Earl Jones is reprising his role as Simba’s father, Mufasa.

Favreau is directing with Jeff Nathanson writing. The film is being fast-tracked, even as Favreau begins development on his sequel to the recent hit “The Jungle Book.”

Beyonce Top Choice to Voice Nala in ‘Lion King’ Remake (Exclusive)

Zero diversity in this cast so far

Back