The lightweight division is so stacked makes you think why fighters dont move down

Aldo. I thInk he's a huge reason.

Aldo would almost certainly be the betting favorite over Bendo. He's already 2:1 over Frankie. That's pretty unheard of, for a lower weight champ to be the fave over a higher weight champ.

Why drop down, when you'd end up fighting the more dangerous champ...?

ummm, instead of cutting an extra 10lbs of weight, why not just lose the weight through diet/exercise?

10lbs of what, muscle? A lot of those LW guys don't have a ton of fat, and the water weight would go through cutting.

Dropping 10lbs of muscle might not work as well as it sounds, especially if you only weigh 155-165 to begin with.

Cutting weight is not that simple or easy. Everybody is different and some can gain or lose weight easier than others.

Guys like Florian, Tokoro, Gono, Riggs do not represent every fighter. I'm not talking just about LW dropping to FW, but rather as dropping weight as a whole

Im willing to bet more people drop from LW to FW than any other division

All the 155ers will cut to 145 once aldo moves up to 155.
I agree, I think a lot of the borderline guys - for whom 10 pounds would be tough, but not impossible - will have a lot more motivation to make the cut if/when Aldo moves up.

Going thru hell to cut 10 pounds, just go fight the *more* dangerous champ who's more likely to whoop your ass, to win a title that is less prestigious than the 155 title, just makes absolutely no sense.

I agree, I think a lot of the borderline guys - for whom 10 pounds would be tough, but not impossible - will have a lot more motivation to make the cut if/when Aldo moves up.

but they might not be able to fight as effectively due to the strain on cardio or general fatigue the process has. it's not easy and the most successful seem to be those who have their body and the process down to a science

Short answer: most that can, did. Lentz, Guida, etc.

Long answer: there's a hell of a big difference in ten pounds and the difficulty of losing it when you're talking the difference between 205 and 215, as opposed to 155/145. Think about the percentages of weight distribution, especially considering how lean the majority are. I guarantee every MMA fighter has at least entertained the notion of if could be possible to fight lighter.

Also there's guys like Pearson, who CAN make 145 but didn't feel as good. He partially accredited getting finished by Swanson as partially having to do with chin being affected by total hydration.

a lot more money for lw's - and most lw's walk around at about 170+ so 10 more pounds is huge

Probably because you're trading Gray Maynard, Gil Melendez, Nate Diaz and Bendo for these assholes:

aldo_jose640_640.jpg

Frankie-Edgar.jpg

If that isn't a rock and a hard place, I don't know what is.

4,5 kg is NOT a lot. Don't get fooled by that "10". It's still 4,5 kilos.
lol

4,5 kg is NOT a lot. Don't get fooled by that "10". It's still 4,5 kilos.
lol

Your total weight absolutely matters. If you think it's as easy to cut 10 pounds at lightweight as it is at heavyweight, you don't have any idea how the human body or basic biology works.

Like some before have said; it's the prestige.

Many ppl would consider the 145 and below divisions lesser, like just winning a consolation prize, regardless of how skilled they are.

Back