Law The Liberals' useless 'assault weapons' ban (Canada)

The fun has just begun. Blair said today Trudeau is going to give provinces, municipalities, cities and towns the power to ban handguns soon. He also wants to spend more millions setting up central storage for them.

There's over 1 million handguns in Canada.

Again, impossible. @computer fogie said it would stop with the AR. They are placated! They aren't going to push further!

Interesting. News article?

Like 95% of the time I didn’t fire at the person in my house. So no article and I don’t have a copy of the police report.

Probably already posted but the language really drives me nuts.. free to spread misinformation and their base just goes along with it..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/national/politics/2019/5/30/1_4445213.html

Feds' firearms focus on guns 'designed to hunt people'

OTTAWA -- The Liberal government says no options have been ruled out to clamp down on guns "designed to hunt people" as it weighs new measures against assault-style rifles and handguns.

Probably already posted but the language really drives me nuts.. free to spread misinformation and their base just goes along with it..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/national/politics/2019/5/30/1_4445213.html

Feds' firearms focus on guns 'designed to hunt people'

OTTAWA -- The Liberal government says no options have been ruled out to clamp down on guns "designed to hunt people" as it weighs new measures against assault-style rifles and handguns.
Huh I didn't know surviving the game was a season now

Canadas gun ban is not what the government says it is
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-canadas-gun-ban-is-not-what-the-government-says-it-is/

"I’m sorry to tell you this, but you’ve been had. Meticulously misleading government messaging will do that."

Canada’s new gun “ban” is not a ban.

It might sound like a ban to urbanites who are unfamiliar with Canada’s labyrinth of federal gun regulations, and indeed, the government is quite deliberate in repeatedly using that word to describe its recent actions – “ban.”

But the change announced last week does not, in any meaningful way, represent a major shift in the overall way Canada treats the purchase, storage and use of firearms. So if you’ve been cheering Ottawa’s new gun “prohibition” as the end of the legal sale of military-conceived deadly weapons … well, I’m sorry to tell you this, but you’ve been had. Meticulously misleading government messaging will do that.

Semi-automatic weapons are still legal. Let me say that again. Semi-automatic weapons are still legal.

Firearms in Canada are either prohibited (cannot be bought or sold), restricted (legal under certain conditions) or non-restricted. Fully automatic weapons have been illegal since 1978. Not much has changed there.

What changed, last week, was that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that the list of prohibited weapons in Canada would be expanded to include a number of previously restricted and non-restricted firearms. He called this a ban on “military-style assault rifles.”

But that’s a designation that has no meaning in Canadian law under the Firearms Act. It is, rather, a made-up, undefined category, useful only in perpetuating the mistaken impression that Canada has banned a whole classification of firearms when it has not.

Again, Canada has not banned semi-automatic weapons. Instead, it has banned nine principal models and their variants, essentially expanding the list of prohibited weapons by roughly 1,500 models. Yet there are still plenty of other semi-automatic weapons – such as the military-style IWI Tavor, which looks just as scary as those newly prohibited – that remain perfectly legal.

Mr. Trudeau and his ministers skirted this inconvenient detail by sticking closely to their line about banning “military-grade assault weapons.” The more accurate way to describe what the government did is to say that it arbitrarily prohibited the sale of some semi-automatics, while preserving the status of others. Yet the government knows the misleading messaging is far more rousing than the precise kind. Already, the announcement has earned the applause of celebrities and American progressive politicians.

Indeed, the government trusts that those to whom this gesture is supposed to appeal won’t really know the difference. That’s why Mr. Trudeau could say last Friday that “you don’t need an AR-15 to bring down a deer," even though hunters in Canada already weren’t allowed to use an AR-15 (or other restricted firearms) to do so. It’s also why he could talk about banning “guns designed to kill the largest number of people in the shortest amount of time” in reference to semi-automatic weapons, although he was actually describing fully automatic weapons, which were banned decades ago.

I point all of this out not as someone who has any interest in guns or particularly understands their appeal, but as someone who doesn’t like governments seizing upon knowledge gaps in the population to earn political clout.

One could make the case that something – that is, the banning of some semi-automatic weapons under the guise of more generalized action – is better than nothing. But that argument assumes that law-abiding gun owners won’t simply start buying up the semi-automatic firearms the government omitted from its list.

It also assumes that the government hasn’t now squandered what might have been a useful alliance with legal gun owners on promised future plans to crack down on handgun crimes, the purchase of firearms for those who don’t have licences and the illegal smuggling of guns from across the border. Evidence-based policy, which was purportedly the domain of the Liberals once upon a time, would suggest those prospective, to-be-Parliament-approved measures would have a much greater impact on the preponderance of firearms-related gun crimes in Canada.

On guns, as on most things, political capital is not infinite. The government has decided to make a big splash on an arbitrary measure that has incited legal gun owners, yet still preserves the legal status of semi-automatics and also doesn’t touch the guns involved in the majority of crimes involving firearms in Canada. The impulse to want to do something after the mass shooting in Nova Scotia earlier this month is understandable. But deceiving Canadians into thinking the government has outlawed all menacing-looking, military-inspired semi-automatic weapons is not worthy, or righteous, or deserving of any type of applause.

If this government was to expend some political capital on guns, it should do it on measures that will actually make a difference – and not on marginal gestures it can speciously sell as a “ban.”

Imagine being so manipulated that you continue to support a corrupt government/agenda even when the evidence shows that they are corrupt and manipulating you.

Our values and freedoms are also being undermined by multiple intelligence agencies.

Not sure if this has been posted but even if it has doesn’t hurt to have it again https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Sign/e-2574

also, apparently theres a bore diameter restriction in the law that makes 10 and 12 gauge shotguns without a choke illegal. Blair tweets that those guns are not included in the ban though.

Excellent video on why this ban is unjust for law abiding Canadians.

Canada just banned a coffee company

I’m sure this law is going to be very well thought out and not at all another case of people with no clue about firearms trying to define what an assault weapon to them is

An excellent opportunity for the LPC to reverse the ban and avoid the boog.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks that nothing is worth war, is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

-- John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

I’m sure this law is going to be very well thought out and not at all another case of people with no clue about firearms trying to define what an assault weapon to them is

They also banned a website....

Trudeau's legal gun ban smells like a takeover
https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/bonokoski-trudeaus-legal-gun-ban-smells-like-a-takeover

The obsession of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to disarm Canada’s civilian population of certain legally-obtained weapons has the earmarks of a dictatorial regime-in-the-making.

This would seem preposterous, of course — until it’s not.

Since retaining minority government control in 2019, the Trudeau Liberals have used the coronavirus pandemic as a convenient smokescreen to effectively take full control of all spending, taxation, corporate nationalization, and a host of other policies.

But the last thing a government needs if considering a takeover of its own democratic country is an armed civilian population.

This isn't real... Is it? It can't be. Are they banning the products of companies in general, not just individual items? How does that even work?

An excellent opportunity for the LPC to reverse the ban and avoid the boog...

If I'm correct, this "boog" you keep predicting/hoping for is a murder spree, is that right? Conservative gun owners killing people because they are angry at the government?

This is why it's wrong to allow everyone to have guns, because there are genuine nut cases like you out there. You shouldn't be allowed to have a slingshot.

If I'm correct, this "boog" you keep predicting/hoping for is a murder spree, is that right? Conservative gun owners killing people because they are angry at the government?

This is why it's wrong to allow everyone to have guns, because there are genuine nut cases like you out there. You shouldn't be allowed to have a slingshot.

Reference America from 1765-1783 but take particular note of 1775 when the British tried gun control if you need to understand the boog.

You seem completely oblivious to history.

If I'm correct, this "boog" you keep predicting/hoping for is a murder spree, is that right?

The first nations attacked the infrastructure over something not as serious as the gun bans.

Guerrilla warfare doesn't always involve mass killing.

Apparently there's a lot of local PDs that are strongly against the ban.

2020-05-05-Twitter-CitizenNonymous-Protest.png

Reference America from 1765-1783 but take particular note of 1775 when the British tried gun control if you need to understand the boog.

You seem completely oblivious to history.

Regardless of your attempt to equate it with a noble cause in the 18th century, the word is used by the current far right and it means an attempt to violently overthrow the government, in response to gun control laws. It means a murder spree, or do you care to try and give it a different meaning? I hope your sick fantasies don't come true.

You seem completely oblivious to right and wrong.

The far left is out of control. They fully support corruption and tyranny.

I should put this in my sig.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks that nothing is worth war, is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

-- John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

Back