The Legit Strongmen

VulcanNervPinch

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Some of the lists I found online were awful - just speculative or gimmicks and left the real ones off.

Who are the guys who have actual legit creds (lift records, Olympic lifting, strongman comps)?

A few to start:

Mark Henry
Ken Patera
Ted Arcidi
Bill Kazmaier
Braun Strowman

Who else?

Tom Magee. World Champion powerlifter.

nintchdbpict000407653406.jpg

No respect for Braun?

That is shoot strength, you mark.

braun-strowman-grappling-hook.gif

BarrenSlimAnemoneshrimp-size_restricted.gif

GoldenPracticalGalah-size_restricted.gif

+1 for the well rounded strength GOAT Mark Henry.

Thats a good question, I'd be interested to see a list of pre-1980's powerlifters/strongmen that worked in the rasslin business

One of my old school favorites...Ivan Putski was in one of the World's Strongest Man competitions... I don't recall if he had any legit PL competitions to his name though

This was a pretty legendary moment in pro wrestling history, University Of Tennessee football player and powerlifter Doug Furnas "rips" the door off the cage to save the good guys
This gimmick was re-used by the WWF when Kane debuted at Hell In The Cell

Another legendary moment involved sideshow strongman, The Great Antonio, who was known for his ability to pull busses by himself
He was booked in a match against Antonio Inoki but for some reason he decided to clown around and try and make Inoki look foolish so Inoki proceed to kick the dog shit out of him and teach him a lesson right there in the ring

Another legendary moment involved sideshow strongman, The Great Antonio, who was known for his ability to pull busses by himself
He was booked in a match against Antonio Inoki but for some reason he decided to clown around and try and make Inoki look foolish so Inoki proceed to kick the dog shit out of him and teach him a lesson right there in the ring

I dont blame Inoki for protecting the business there. But Antonio was borderline retarded.

I appreciate it if you saved your personal attacks towards me for the aew thread that I dont read. Thank you for your time and consideration.
*I'd

Or

*would

Keep licking them windows Corky.

Doug Furnas has to be one of the p4p strongest men in wrestling history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Furnas

Before becoming a lifter, Furnas was a promising American football player, who had won the High School State and the Junior College National Championships and even made the Denver Broncos training camp.[5] Upon starting powerlifting, Furnas initially campaigned as a 242-pound lifter. At a height of 5'10" he was actually a bit too tall for the weight class. His 242-pound class competitors tended to be in the 5'6" to 5'8" range. International-level powerlifting is a game of leverage and density: there is the often overlooked pounds-of-muscle-per-inches-of-height ratio that explains why there are no 5'10" 175-pound world powerlifting champions. When Furnas allowed his bodyweight to rise to a full 275 pounds (sporting 9% bodyfat) his lifts shocked the world. He became one of the few men to achieve a total of 2400 pounds, in fact he is the third man in history to total 2400 (after Don Reinhoudt and Bill Kazmaier) and the first man ever to total 2400 pounds twice - all achieved at an astonishing 265-275 pound bodyweight.[5] The first time, he totaled 2400 lbs (1088.6 kg) at the inaugural APF World Championships 1986 in Maui, Hawaii, squatting 986 lbs in an old squat suit, bench pressing 600 lbs in a loose size 60 bench shirt and deadlifting 814 lbs.[5]

He achieved his second 2400+ total six months later on June 28, 1987 at the APF National Championships in Bloomington, Minnesota with a total of 2403 lbs (1090 kg) while competing in the 125 kg/275 lb weight class.[6] This time deadlifting 826 lbs for a new personal record.[5] Although he was arguably the most dominant 275 pound lifter in history, he ended his very short but incredible powerlifting career shortly afterwards in favor of professional wrestling.[5] Furnas had set 29 powerlifting world records throughout his career.[3] Furnas is known throughout the powerlifting world as one of the greatest squat technicians in history, eventually squatting 986 pounds.[7] Although it was not widely known during his life, Furnas was allergic to chalk, which prevented him from obtaining an optimal grip on his deadlifts.[8] Furnas still holds the men's collegiate national records in the squat (400 kg/881.75 lb) and deadlift (347.5 kg/766 lb) in the 110 kg / 242 lb weight class, which he set on March 26, 1983 while attending the University of Tennessee.[9] He also holds the Tennessee state records for the squat (986 lb), deadlift (826 lb), and total (2403 lbs).

Personal records[edit]
Done in official Powerlifting full meets with minimal supportive gear[5]

• Squat - 986 lbs (447 kg) equipped
  • Bench press - 600 lbs (272.2 kg) equipped
  • Deadlift - 826 lbs (374.6 kg)
  • Total - 2403 lbs (1090 kg) equipped

Just Bleed God blessed Inoki for his offering.
@Thrawn33

I watched a video where Mark Henry said Cesario (SP) was the strongest wrestler he wrestled against. I can't spell the guys name but I'm sure you guys know who I'm talking about. If Mark Henry says it, then it means a lot. He didn't mention any guys like Kane or Strowman or Lesnar.. He said Cesario was the strongest.

Bruno Sammartino set the bench press record in 1959 benching 565lbs. He apparently also did several over 300lbs bench press reps.

Other strong wrestlers.
The Barbarian could do three reps at around 550lbs.
Jim Neidhart could bench 550lbs and Scott Norton could bench 650lbs.

Last edited:
Before all the mentioned above, there was the strongest...... and the most feared.
Bert Assirati is the strongest wrestler who ever lived.
Before steroids or supplements. Before training programs and modern medicine. Before single ply and multi ply, There was Bert. 5' 6" and stronger than them all.
His feats of strength include:
Could dead-lift 800lbs unofficial World Record 1938.
Could deep knee bend for 10 reps with 550 lbs barbell 1938.
Could squat continuously for half an hour while supporting 235 lb barbell.
Could squat with one leg with a 200 lb barbell on his shoulders.
Could lay on his back on the floor, and pull over at arm`s length a 200 lb barbell, to set a British record 1938.
Could perform a two arm pull over straight arms with a 140 lb barbell for 17 reps.
Could perform a two arm curl strict with 180 lb barbell.
Could perform a two arm curl arms tied to side with a 160 lb barbell.
Could perform a two hands continental jerk with a 380 lbs barbell.
Could perform a two hands clean and jerk with a 360 lb barbell.
Could perform a two hand press with a 285 lb barbell.
Could perform three one arm pull ups at a bodyweight of 240 lbs 1938.
Could do a crucifix on the rings when weighing 266 lbs 1938.
Could do a military press of 160 lbs with right arm 1938.
Could do a military press of 145 lbs with left arm 1938.
Could perform a lateral raise lying with a 160 lb dumbbell.
Could perform a back somersault while holding a 56 lb block weight in each hand.
Could perform back somersaults, or flip flaps, while weighing 266 lbs.
Could walk up, and down stairs on his hands while weighing 266 lbs.
Could carry a piano a long distance on his back.
Could carry a telegraph pole a long distance on his back.
Long distance cyclist.
Champion strand puller.
Could crush metal beer bottle caps between his fingers.
Won five mile swimming races on the River Thames, London.

He is an inaugural inductee in the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame (1996.)

Back