The "learn it for yourself" attitude.

Toothlessjoe

INFOWARS STORE.COM
@Green
Reaction score
I've never understood why people are so aggressive with this attitude on this board.

I have friends who train for all different reasons and goals, and they are always willing to help me out with my questions and demands of them. They still point me toward the sources where I can learn for myself, but they always help.

On a discussion board I can understand repeated topics, but come on you guys. You can't expect everyone to have the same passion and dedication to learning about nutrition. Some people want to better their diet and life, but they don't care for the "ins and outs" of how it works. Example:

If someone asks if a banana is good for them, I wouldn't send them an article and say "zomg read this noob, god, educate yourself". A simple "yes, if you want to know more about why they are, you can read this too...".

The finer points of nutrition are pretty dense, and not everyone cares enough, has enough time, etc to learn about it. Basically, I think people should lighten up a little bit on here sometimes.

You can't moan about people being slobs when you're so unwilling to help them.

The finer points of nutrition are pretty dense, and not everyone cares enough, has enough time, etc to learn about it.
You hit the proverbial nail on the head in my opinion. If someone is too lazy to want to learn they are just blindly following what any joker could tell them. Why should someone spend what could be a copious amount of time attempting to instill knowledge in someone else that is just too point blank lazy or refuses to put in the effort to grasp some concepts?
Furthermore we are talking about our bodies, and my perspective is that anyone that does not want to put in the effort to learn and understand what they are doing to their body (we only get 1 and not everything detrimental we do is reversible) then why should another person care enough about that other persons needs?

In reference to your banana analogy - most of the time it's just that "Is a banana good for me?" Well how is someone suppose to effectively answer it when that TS gives no additional info? Is it acceptable to need 20 more posts just to get the TS to spit out all other relevant info? Should 20 more posts after that be spent explaining insulin response or in what ways sugar could be detrimental? Maybe another 20 posts explaining macros to them? If that cycle continues and no one is told to read and learn then every thread becomes like that.
My join date may be recent but I lurked long enough to see the repetitive pattern. When direct questions with necessary info are asked they get answered pretty well. There may be no such thing as a stupid question but there are plenty of vague ones. There is a wealth of info here if people would step up and learn for themselves.

You can't moan about people being slobs when you're so unwilling to help them.

Yes, you certainly can. Nobody owes you anything and not everyone is your friend, or wants to teach you basic things about learning that your mommy and daddy should have. Sometimes people are going to say things that don't coddle you, if you cry about that instead of growing from it, it's your own fault for staying weak and dumb.

You want a crash course on nutrition? Vegetables, nuts, lean-leanish meats, fruits, whole grains, and olive oil are very good for you. These are things that have shown time and time again to lower chances of heart disease and various cancers. Processed carbs (especially high GI foods...for example: white bread, candy, sugary foods, etc.) and man made trans fats (hydrogenated oils) are bad for you.

To be honest I have spent probably hundreds of hours studying up on nutrition and this is about as simplified as you will get. That one paragraph is adequate diet advice for probably 95% of people. If you are a serious athlete or want to have a six pack or something like that you might need some more details, but for all intents and purposes that is really all you need to know.

Because this forum sucks. It's just a bunch of douchebags who think they know a lot because they read the stickies - which are loaded with bias and misinformation. It's pretty much the blind leading the blind.

Because this forum sucks. It's just a bunch of douchebags who think they know a lot because they read the stickies - which are loaded with bias and misinformation. It's pretty much the blind leading the blind.

picture.php

WAIT..........................................

so are bananas good for you?

Individuals are awesome, people (read that as internet mob in this case) are ignorant.

Its best to learn this as quickly as possible, which is 99.99999% why I dont contribute to these threads much any more. Sherdog is filled with bro-tard keyboard warriors. If people (internet mob) would use the internet for, I dont know, finding things out on their own instead of trying to prove someone wrong they might not have to ask simple questions. I know this is asking for too much so....OP, have you tried hitting them?

If someone can take the time to make a new thread, discussing a topic that has been done to death on this forum, and cant use the "search" function to check it out, why should anybody spoon feed them? The same goes for topics that are dealt with efficiently in the FAQ.

I have friends who train for all different reasons and goals, and they are always willing to help me out with my questions and demands of them. They still point me toward the sources where I can learn for myself, but they always help.

This is an internet community, sure if you recognise a poster as somebody you liked then your alot happier to help them out, but when new posters come in with these threads it's no wonder they get that reaction. Obviously It's different in real life when a friend asks you a question.

Last edited:

That was a useful response, definitely brought the quality of the forum up with that one. Why don't you educate us on this bias & misinformation and put us straight?

I for one enjoy the occasional banana.

Am I the only person that uses that gwen stefani song everytime they spell bananas? If so, I'm more of a loser than I thought

I hope you get lupus

You are so right OP. I just strongly dislike (my mother doesn't let me use the 'h' word) how people here are so aggressive. I think they are all just a bunch of bullies. I just wish everyone would be friendly and helpful and answer every question that I have because I just don't feel like figuring simple stuff out for myself. Not everyone cares enough about nutrition to learn basic information about it, right? So why shouldn't posters who would rather discuss other things spoon-feed basic knowledge to me every time I ask for it?

It really hurts my feelings when people call me a "noob" or tell me to read the FAQ's. And when immovablestone posts mean pictures it makes me want to run into my room, lock the door, and cry into my pillow.

Yes, you certainly can. Nobody owes you anything and not everyone is your friend, or wants to teach you basic things about learning that your mommy and daddy should have. Sometimes people are going to say things that don't coddle you, if you cry about that instead of growing from it, it's your own fault for staying weak and dumb.

This!

Spot on. This forum is riddled with people spewing misinformation. Somehow some of it even made its way to the FAQ.

well... its an mma forum...majority of the population are male...so theres a lot of testosterone going around...plus those who take workout supplements...so its understandable...but the prob is...since its in the internet...there are also a lot of keyboard warriors...nerds who read about mma and dont actually do it...a lot of them would rip me up for this...

but there are also a lot of good guys who really do mma and do their best to help you out...ive posted a couple of questions here and 8/10 people who reply are cool and helpful...

I would explain why people are so aggressive on this board, but I think you should figure it out for yourself.

If you don't like this forum, by all means don't post here.

By design and intention, this is not forum to come to for simple "yes" and "no" answers. If the answer is truly as simple as a "yes" or "no," then just use Google. If the answer is not as simple as a "yes" or a "no," don't whine when the discussion goes more in depth than you hoped. Sorry, life has very few black and white answers. Heaven forbid you learn something instead of complaining that the answers aren't simple enough.

It basically boils down to this: If the poster has NOT:

A)Read the rules, and
B)Read the FAQs, and
C)Made some attempt at answering their own question, whether by Google or forum searching...

...then why should we help? Why should we put forth additional effort for someone who has made no effort of his own? We're not here to do anyone's homework. And, I say "additional" effort because the resources (everything from the stickies to regular threads of good discussion) this forum has accumulated took real time, effort, research, and thought from the posters that have contributed to them. So, there is a already a massive resource for newbs, free of charge and no strings attached. Yet you have the audacity to say we don't do enough...unbelievable.

If you're looking for simple "yes" and "no" answers and really don't care about getting to the meat of the issue, this isn't the forum for you. Nutrition is a topic full of nuances. Exploring those nuances isn't for someone who wants all foods to be boiled down to "is this healthy, yes or no?" The answer, almost invariably, is "it depends." If that offends you, tough, because that's life, folks.

if you don't like this forum, by all means don't post here.

By design and intention, this is not forum to come to for simple "yes" and "no" answers. If the answer is truly as simple as a "yes" or "no," then just use google. If the answer is not as simple as a "yes" or a "no," don't whine when the discussion goes more in depth than you hoped. Sorry, life has very few black and white answers. Heaven forbid you learn something instead of complaining that the answers aren't simple enough.

It basically boils down to this: If the poster has not:

A)read the rules, and
b)read the faqs, and
c)made some attempt at answering their own question, whether by google or forum searching...

...then why should we help? Why should we put forth additional effort for someone who has made no effort of his own? We're not here to do anyone's homework. And, i say "additional" effort because the the resources (everything from the stickies to regular threads of good discussion) this forum has accumulated took real time, effort, research, and thought from the posters that have contributed to them. So, there is a already a massive resource for newbs, free of charge and no strings attached. Yet you have the audacity to say we don't do enough...unbelievable.

If you're looking for simple "yes" and "no" answers and really don't care about getting to the meat of the issue, this isn't the forum for you. Nutrition is a topic full of nuances. Exploring those nuances isn't for someone who wants all foods to be boiled down to "is this healthy, yes or no?" the answer, almost invariably, is "it depends." if that offends you, tough, because that's life, folks.

ibtl

Back