The Lazy Man's Guide To Losing Fat And Building Muscle

My secret: Stop eating so much you fatass and do some exercise you lazy piece of shit

I should write a book

fuck that, too boring.

you can eat clean and healthy without just eating protein shakes + chicken and broccoli everyday

You can, but this is easy as hell. If you don't care about variety much (I don't, I look at food as fuel, nothing more), this works just fine and keeps things simple.

If I had to make a similar recommendation, I'd say in even simpler terms:

1) decide on your target daily protein intake - e.g. 150g
2) decide on your max daily carb intake - e.g. 100g
3) figure out how to hit 1) with fish and meats, while not exceeding 2)
4) pad the rest of the daily calories with healthy fats (avocado, nuts etc.)

Done. But the key here, which we don't like to talk about, is true consistency - the "no, I won't have that beer today"-type consistency.

I'm pretty lean. I work out and currently eat whatever want.

I want to kick up my results and add some more muscle.

I'm going to try a diet of rice, chicken and broccoli. Eggs and protein shake in the morning. Tuna for lunch. Never dieted before, anything I should add or change?

It is probably the worst advice to give someone who is looking to lose weight. They can't stick to a diet like that. Much easier if they just count calories and start cutting out liquid calories and bad stuff, then slowly moving towards healthier choices.

Most people who go from fat diets to chicken/rice/broc drop off.

The true lazy style to lose weight would be lazy keto or just calorie counting with an app.
whats lazy keto?

It is probably the worst advice to give someone who is looking to lose weight. They can't stick to a diet like that. Much easier if they just count calories and start cutting out liquid calories and bad stuff, then slowly moving towards healthier choices.

The true lazy style to lose weight would be lazy keto or just calorie counting with an app.
This is what I believe. If you do something you will not stick and it's just a temporary diet change or exercise blitz you will see results but you are setting yourself up for failure later.

I don't see many people sticking to this diet once they achieve their goals and then they will see their weight just creep back on.

The best thing to do is to just become hyper aware of everything you eat and your activity levels and incremental improve both in very small and permanent ways. Drop off the extra latte or snack in the day and walk down a set of stairs or the long way to the office. You just need ot get your body doing incrementally more than it was prior with slightly less food than it was getting prior and you will start to lose weight. It may only be 0.5 to 1 pound a month but that is actually how most of us add our weight. 6-12 lbs a year and suddenly 2-3 years later its WTF? Losing it that same way, slowly over time with such small changes is totally achievable and maintainable.

I feel like that is a lot of food? Or at least a lot of protein shakes.

this is the real lazy man's explanation:

- Stop eating fried food, drinking soda and all that garbage

- Do free weight training, do squats, go for walks or run

the end

ps also eat oatmeal and drink tea

Here's a silly question:

How come you visit Lifehacker.au and not Lifehacker.com?
Don't you live in the US? The ping time is a lot shorter for you on .com

That's a life hack in itself.

lol @ at the average man (or in this case the LAZY man) needing 214 grams of protein.

I used to think BMR would keep me thin. It helps but not to the degree some people imply.

I stopped doing the ridiculous cheat day where people were saying that you should really stuff yourself one day a week.

This sounds boring as shit except for the egg breakfast. Beans and brown rice for lunch, lol seriously? Oh yeah, fuck tuna. I wouldn't touch that "lunch".

Like most guys of a certain vintage, I have mixed feelings about my body. Staying lean and not surrendering to the siren’s call of the dreaded 'Dadbod' is a key concern. But then so is building and maintaining enough muscle so that I can keep up with the young bucks on the soccer field or in the gym.

One of the main keys to success is your diet. You need a meal plan that's high in healthy carbs, fats and proteins. More importantly, it needs to be easy to prepare and affordable - so you'll actually stick to it.

There's no shortage of tips that deal with actual exercise on Lifehacker - instead, this guide focuses on the fuel you should be preparing to build muscle and reduce body fat.

Part anabolic diet, part ketogenic diet and part dopamine diet, this all-rounder is perfect for anyone looking to stay on the health train. It's a super-simple diet protocol that provides everything we need to train, grow, recover and sleep, with minimum disruption to our lives and, critically, not sacrificing taste or enjoyment.

Consider it a dietary form of GPP (General Physical Preparedness). With bodily GPP I want to be able to achieve a number of feats or accomplishments at any given time with no specific training.

For nutritional general preparedness, we’re:

1. eliminating most empty, white carbs from our diet
  2. ensuring we get enough protein to facilitate muscle growth
  3. using fat increasingly as an energy source
  4. using green vegetables to provide carbohydrates and essential nutrients
Is it boring to eat this way? Or a chore? Not really. The healthy fats in this diet provide both satiety and sufficient hits of dopamine to keep cravings at bay. Permanently.

Can you eat this way if you have kids? Yes, absolutely. A few variations for Junior and you’re there.

The Meal Plan
#1 Pre-Breakfast: Protein Shake w Milk
  • Protein 34g
  • Carbs 17g
  • Fat 10g
Most supplements are stuffed with all kinds of chemicals that you can't pronounce. It’s a multi-billion-dollar industry that promises silver-bullets yet delivers (mostly) damp squibs.

However, as a guy in a hurry, I need fuel after workouts and to kick-start the day. Sleep is catabolic, meaning it depletes your muscles. That's not good, especially if you're on the lean side to begin with (what's known in the trade as a 'hard-gainer'.)

A sound guiding principle is to start the day with 30g of protein if you're serious about building muscle.

A brown-rice based, all-natural protein is probably a little less effective than some of the other stuff but it helps get me to my macros and I feel somewhat better about it, especially as I'm going to be drinking three of these a day.

#2 Breakfast: 3 Egg Omelette With Cheese
  • Protein 21g
  • Carbs 1g
  • Fat 18g
A more elaborate 'one-pan keto-feast’' could include sausages, green vegetables, smoked salmon but that will take more time than we have to play with. The omelette is super-speedy.

Variations on this theme could be to include a bowl of porridge and stirring through some protein powder to make 'chocolate protein oats'. The only ingredients for this are milk, water, oats and your protein - in less than 7 minutes you’ll be fuelling up for the day ahead.

#3 Snack: Protein Shake
  • Protein 34g
  • Carbs 17g
  • Fat 10g
#4 Lunch - Tuna, Brown Rice & Beans + 2 Glasses Milk
  • Protein 43g
  • Carbs 74g
  • Fat 26g
In terms of bang-for-your-buck and downright convenience, you can't go past this combination - the Holy Trinity of lunchtime goodness.

Try Sirena tuna, whose label reassures that it's line caught and sustainable etc. Basil oil flavour is especially tasty. Add a tin of Edgells 4 Bean Mix and 90 Second microwave brown rice.

Throw grated cheese over the top of this for more fat, and because, well, cheese makes everything taste better.

Total cost per meal: $5.35

• Protein 34g
  • Carbs 17g
  • Fat 10g
#6 Dinner: Chicken / Pork, Broccoli, Zucchini, Sweet Potato, Apple
  • Protein 66g
  • Carbs 54g
  • Fat 16g
You could roast / bake a tray of vegetables and chuck some chicken breast in the other side of the tray (covered in a little foil tent for half the cooking time (usually 30-35 mins) to stop it drying out.

The beauty of this is that once you've tossed it in the oven, you can go and workout for a bit or play with junior.

However, if you can get yourself a microwave steamer, your whole whole world will change.

Here's how.

Chop up your veg and layer it in the steamer according to how long it takes to cook. Then steam it for about 4 minutes. [Note: sweet potato can handle around 3 mins on its own before you add the greens for the remaining 4 mins. This depends on the power of your microwave so play around with it.]

This could be the end of the story. You serve up your greens with your meat (which you've pan-fried and rested under foil and out of the pan for 5 minutes - this is crucial.)

You'll probably want some seasoning with this though.

Or take things to a completely different level with only a modicum of extra effort.

Drain the veggies, blanche under cold water to stop the cooking process, throw a decent knob of butter into the meat pan and then mix the greens through the butter.

In a restaurant this would be called something like 'twice-cooked greens, keto-style,' or something equally grand, and, as with a lot of the cooking here, it depends on your approach to fats and what your nutritional objectives are.

Additional fats, especially those that have traditionally been considered unhealthy, is

But, if you still want flavour and satiety, then it's worth trying because it makes them taste delicious.

Total: Protein 214g, Carbohydrate 180g, Fat: 90g
Summary

This plan works for busy guys (and gals) for a few key reasons:

1. It’s cheap
  2. It's healthy
  3. It's easy to stick to
  4. It tastes good
  5. It’s easy to hit (and stick to) your macros
  6. It eradicates most unhealthy carbs from your diet
Is it perfect? Nope.

Could it be made healthier? Yep, pretty easily. Sub in celery sticks dipped in almond butter for one of the snacks would be an easy tweak.

But bang-for-your-buck simplicity, economy and taste it’s right on the money.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2018/05/how-to-pack-on-muscle-and-lose-fat-with-minimal-effort/

6a00e00995147488330192ac29086f970d-500wi

I have an even lazier way of eating, but getting enough protein.

I get these 6 packs of canned chicken (already cooked but in can.) Each can has about 45.5 grams of protein.

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-Chicken-Breast-12.5-oz,-6-count.product.100334960.html

And these giants bags of mixed vegetables which I keep in freezer.

https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/Kirkland-Signature-Stir-Fry-Vegetables,-5.5-lbs.product.100269982.html

And these microwavable individual packs of Quinoa and brown rice.

https://www.costco.com/Seeds-of-Change-Organic-Quinoa-and-Brown-Rice-8.5-oz,-6-count.product.100381510.html

At night, I put 1 serving of vegetables in a small tupperware straight from the giant bag in freezer. Keep in fridge for next day. And take 1 can and 1 quinoa pack.

At work, I just microwave everything for 3 minutes.

Super cheap and nutritious meal (lunch or dinner.)

For breakfast, I make the Joe Rogan kale shake the night before in a blender, but add protein powder. Drink in morning - bam and then coffee and out the door.

For the 3rd meal, I go to a deli on Sundays and get 5 salads where you pick the ingredients. Buy it all at once. I ask them to put dressing in small container inside. That's 5 nutritious salads with chicken for every day of the week.

Super cheap and easy as fuc.

Like most guys of a certain vintage, I have mixed feelings about my body. Staying lean and not surrendering to the siren’s call of the dreaded 'Dadbod' is a key concern. But then so is building and maintaining enough muscle so that I can keep up with the young bucks on the soccer field or in the gym.

One of the main keys to success is your diet. You need a meal plan that's high in healthy carbs, fats and proteins. More importantly, it needs to be easy to prepare and affordable - so you'll actually stick to it.

There's no shortage of tips that deal with actual exercise on Lifehacker - instead, this guide focuses on the fuel you should be preparing to build muscle and reduce body fat.

Part anabolic diet, part ketogenic diet and part dopamine diet, this all-rounder is perfect for anyone looking to stay on the health train. It's a super-simple diet protocol that provides everything we need to train, grow, recover and sleep, with minimum disruption to our lives and, critically, not sacrificing taste or enjoyment.

Consider it a dietary form of GPP (General Physical Preparedness). With bodily GPP I want to be able to achieve a number of feats or accomplishments at any given time with no specific training.

For nutritional general preparedness, we’re:

1. eliminating most empty, white carbs from our diet
  2. ensuring we get enough protein to facilitate muscle growth
  3. using fat increasingly as an energy source
  4. using green vegetables to provide carbohydrates and essential nutrients
Is it boring to eat this way? Or a chore? Not really. The healthy fats in this diet provide both satiety and sufficient hits of dopamine to keep cravings at bay. Permanently.

Can you eat this way if you have kids? Yes, absolutely. A few variations for Junior and you’re there.

The Meal Plan
#1 Pre-Breakfast: Protein Shake w Milk
  • Protein 34g
  • Carbs 17g
  • Fat 10g
Most supplements are stuffed with all kinds of chemicals that you can't pronounce. It’s a multi-billion-dollar industry that promises silver-bullets yet delivers (mostly) damp squibs.

However, as a guy in a hurry, I need fuel after workouts and to kick-start the day. Sleep is catabolic, meaning it depletes your muscles. That's not good, especially if you're on the lean side to begin with (what's known in the trade as a 'hard-gainer'.)

A sound guiding principle is to start the day with 30g of protein if you're serious about building muscle.

A brown-rice based, all-natural protein is probably a little less effective than some of the other stuff but it helps get me to my macros and I feel somewhat better about it, especially as I'm going to be drinking three of these a day.

#2 Breakfast: 3 Egg Omelette With Cheese
  • Protein 21g
  • Carbs 1g
  • Fat 18g
A more elaborate 'one-pan keto-feast’' could include sausages, green vegetables, smoked salmon but that will take more time than we have to play with. The omelette is super-speedy.

Variations on this theme could be to include a bowl of porridge and stirring through some protein powder to make 'chocolate protein oats'. The only ingredients for this are milk, water, oats and your protein - in less than 7 minutes you’ll be fuelling up for the day ahead.

• Protein 34g
  • Carbs 17g
  • Fat 10g
#4 Lunch - Tuna, Brown Rice & Beans + 2 Glasses Milk
  • Protein 43g
  • Carbs 74g
  • Fat 26g
In terms of bang-for-your-buck and downright convenience, you can't go past this combination - the Holy Trinity of lunchtime goodness.

Try Sirena tuna, whose label reassures that it's line caught and sustainable etc. Basil oil flavour is especially tasty. Add a tin of Edgells 4 Bean Mix and 90 Second microwave brown rice.

Throw grated cheese over the top of this for more fat, and because, well, cheese makes everything taste better.

Total cost per meal: $5.35

• Protein 34g
  • Carbs 17g
  • Fat 10g
#6 Dinner: Chicken / Pork, Broccoli, Zucchini, Sweet Potato, Apple
  • Protein 66g
  • Carbs 54g
  • Fat 16g
You could roast / bake a tray of vegetables and chuck some chicken breast in the other side of the tray (covered in a little foil tent for half the cooking time (usually 30-35 mins) to stop it drying out.

The beauty of this is that once you've tossed it in the oven, you can go and workout for a bit or play with junior.

However, if you can get yourself a microwave steamer, your whole whole world will change.

Here's how.

Chop up your veg and layer it in the steamer according to how long it takes to cook. Then steam it for about 4 minutes. [Note: sweet potato can handle around 3 mins on its own before you add the greens for the remaining 4 mins. This depends on the power of your microwave so play around with it.]

This could be the end of the story. You serve up your greens with your meat (which you've pan-fried and rested under foil and out of the pan for 5 minutes - this is crucial.)

You'll probably want some seasoning with this though.

Or take things to a completely different level with only a modicum of extra effort.

Drain the veggies, blanche under cold water to stop the cooking process, throw a decent knob of butter into the meat pan and then mix the greens through the butter.

In a restaurant this would be called something like 'twice-cooked greens, keto-style,' or something equally grand, and, as with a lot of the cooking here, it depends on your approach to fats and what your nutritional objectives are.

Additional fats, especially those that have traditionally been considered unhealthy, is

But, if you still want flavour and satiety, then it's worth trying because it makes them taste delicious.

Total: Protein 214g, Carbohydrate 180g, Fat: 90g
Summary

This plan works for busy guys (and gals) for a few key reasons:

1. It’s cheap
  2. It's healthy
  3. It's easy to stick to
  4. It tastes good
  5. It’s easy to hit (and stick to) your macros
  6. It eradicates most unhealthy carbs from your diet
Is it perfect? Nope.

Could it be made healthier? Yep, pretty easily. Sub in celery sticks dipped in almond butter for one of the snacks would be an easy tweak.

But bang-for-your-buck simplicity, economy and taste it’s right on the money.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2018/05/how-to-pack-on-muscle-and-lose-fat-with-minimal-effort/

It is not that hard to count calories. Just eliminate eating out, shit snacking. you want to snack? make a salad and use horesradish and vinegar as dressing or eat some carrots. What does it for lot of people is drinking, partying on weekends and eating out. You can do good for 4 or 5 days and workout 4x that week or 5 but unless you in major deficit you wont have proper fat loss if you go to shit on weekend. I think alcohol is real issue for lot of people. Notice even guys on steroids with good dieting avoid alcohol and eating out.

This.

It's been scientifically demonstrated that our brains get addicted to fats and salts. You can't quit them cold turkey just like you can't quit most other addictions cold turkey. To improve your chances of success, you have to ease into the new lifestyle, slowly but surely. Beginning to see results is the best motivator to take the next step. But trying to do a 180 after years of eating the same garbage, is setting yourself up for failure, in most cases.

Back