Social The Last of Us Part II Banned in the Middle East

Hollywood Jack

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Upcoming PS4 exclusive The Last of Us Part 2 has seemingly been banned in some Middle Eastern countries. Users on Reddit have reported that the game is currently unavailable to pre-order on the United Arab Emirates or Saudi Arabia PS Store pages. In contrast, accessing the PS Store from places like the USA or UK at the moment allows you to view and pre-order The Last of Us Part 2. Many users have come to the conclusion that the game may have been banned and blocked for sale in these countries.

Interestingly, searching for The Last of Us Part 2 on both the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia PS Stores provides avatar and theme results, but not the game itself.

IGN has reached out to Sony for comment on the situation.

The Middle East is known for having less tolerance to LGBT themes than Western territories, and some work has been banned, such as this year’s Pixar movie Onward, due to a line of dialogue referencing a gay relationship. The Last of Us Part 2’s protagonist, Ellie, is gay, which may potentially have caused the apparent sale block.

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-la...an-saudi-arabia-united-arab-emirates-ps-store

I know this game is controversial in the West for a lot of reasons and we all have varying opinions about the game and the sociopolitical implications of it, but at least we have the freedom to play the game and judge for ourselves. I'll try to never take that for granted.

Good, if they don't want to play a great game,
fck em.

Don't understand why this game is getting flak but movies like Contagion and Outbreak are gaining popularity. It's not even a virus in Last of Us it's cordyceps.

"The middle east is known for less tolerance of LGBTQ+"

I guess burried up to their necks and stoned to death qualifies as "less tolerance" imo.

Well it sounds like it will be an SJW themed dumpster fire anyways, but it being banned is a little extreme.

I hope I don't appear islamaphobic because i don't think it should be banned because if i think it should be banned then I'm LGBT-phobic.

I wish the game was banned here after reading the spoilers for it.

I thought all forms of fun were already banned

Well it sounds like it will be an SJW themed dumpster fire anyways, but it being banned is a little extreme.

I hope I don't appear islamaphobic because i don't think it should be banned because if i think it should be banned then I'm LGBT-phobic.
A real catch 22

15prl1.jpg

Far too much tolerance for LGTWTFBBQ lunacy here in the US and their agenda-fueled media is shoved down everyone's throats on nearly every platform. America needs to be more like Saudi Arabia.

It's weird how many people are saying they are glad about this. I always thought Americans were against censorship.

Something banned in Middle East, North Korea, or China is hardly news worthy tbh.

Really sick of these people tbh

Back