The Last of Us - HBO Series

Dizzy

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Officially official

TLOU has been picked up by HBO for at least a season. Couldn’t imagine a better home for it and I can’t wait to see what they come up with.

Not a fan of the game but I liked the story of the first one. Def will watch the show.

I always thought that TWD would've been a better fit for HBO, so here's hoping they know what they're doing with this.

Got a feeling they won't try to just simply recreate the games, though. I'd expect a unique approach to the universe. Those are big shoes to fill, and if all they're going to do is recreate the Joel and Ellie adventure, what's the point? Save them for cameos, and carve out your on path.

As someone who is pretty fond of both games I'm torn on this. Without the connection between Joel and Ellie I feel like it's basically just another zombie setting, but I don't really want a series that focuses on them either. Their relationship is pretty thoroughly explored, and I'm not interested in a reimagining of it.

And with as much as I like the second game, I don't see a show doing a better job of touching on the same themes. I'll still tune in out of curiosity as I've got an HBOMax sub and never mind being pleasantly surprised.

Dont agree with this move by HBO. Witcher worked on Netflix for they have a ton of source material with proper talent. Last of Us has two games for reference.

Last edited:
The hype for this series has taken a huge hit after the game sequel wasn't received well by the fanbase.

Lets see what news about the production and trailers look like.

Dont agree with this move by HBO. Witcher worked on Netflix for they have a ton of source material with proper talent. Last of Us has two games for reference.
Exactly why its a good fit, TLOU's world has a rich and interesting world and characters. They could really make something special. TLOU II might not have the 'best' written story but the heartbeat of the original game's story is still there and its still marvellous.

The hype for this series has taken a huge hit after the game sequel wasn't received well by the fanbase.
The fanbase loves the game....the reviewers love the game....

Just because a few youtubers were trying to get clicks and views to perpetuate how 'bad' it is, doesnt mean the game is bad.

TLOU II is gonna sweep the GOTYs aswell.

Without the connection between Joel and Ellie I feel like it's basically just another zombie setting, but I don't really want a series that focuses on them either. Their relationship is pretty thoroughly explored, and I'm not interested in a reimagining of it.
The thing is, they could write characters as compelling as Ellie/Joel. They literally did both those games. I have full confidence in them. With that said, im keeping my expectations in check.

HBO is the perfect place for this imo. It’s already great storytelling but I’ve been dying to see the cordyceps nightmare get the cinematic treatment. I just hope they go the practical effects route and try to steer clear of CGI for the infected.

The fanbase loves the game....the reviewers love the game....

Just because a few youtubers were trying to get clicks and views to perpetuate how 'bad' it is, doesnt mean the game is bad.

'Everybody that disagrees that TLoU2 is awesome is just trying to get clicks!'

Wow, what an echochamber you're in.

First, the game sold very well, at first, because the original sold 20 million copies, years of hype, and the huge marketing budget. Then... word-of-mouth reaction wasn't very good... and it had an 80% drop in sales for the 2nd week, 85% drop in Japan alone, and within only three months it was already off Sony's Top 12 games sold.

Now, its has only sold 7 million copies. Unless the PS5's version of the game sells very very well, it won't be coming anywhere close to the original's sales.

Is it a 'flop?' No, it has sold decently.
Did it lose money? No, its made its production budget back, and made some profit.
Did it underperform when compared to expectations? Definitely.

'Everybody that disagrees that TLoU2 is awesome is just trying to get clicks!'

Wow, what an echochamber you're in.
Didnt say that, I said the fanbase in general is happy with the game by lookiing at fan sites/subreddits. Looking at TLOU subreddit, and twitter etc shows that fans in general are happy with the game.
Ofcourse those with the loudest voices already had an agenda with the 'SJW BULLSHIT' before the release of the game, and were looking to shit on it anyways. Anyone who has played the game [in general], seemed to atleast like it. I dont recall anyone in this sub forum [who has actually played the game] to dislike/hate the game.

Secondly, 7 million copies in less than 6 months is insane. The first came out in 2013, and has been on sale or PS plus or whatever for like the last 6 years....You dont know the numbers or revenue generated by each game. 20 million copies sold has no meaning if there is no revenue or profit data etc. For all you know 7 million could easily eclipse the revenue of the original TLOU.....

it had an 80% drop in sales for the 2nd week, 85% drop in Japan alone, and within only three months it was already off Sony's Top 12 games sold.
A game sells most of its copies in the first week and has a big drop off in the second week? Thats like every game or movie ever....
The biggest movie ever had huge dropoffs aswell [Avenger's Engame]. Thats why first week is always important, since that's when most of the revenue and profits are generated. If youve worked on a product launch or have a little business acumen, you'd know that. People always sprout this shit and dont understand anything.
[Quick source: https://cosmicbook.news/avengers-endgame-suffers-huge-third-weekend-drop-box-office]

Is it a 'flop?' No, it has sold decently.
Did it lose money? No, its made its production budget back, and made some profit.
Did it underperform when compared to expectations? Definitely.
Biggest pile of crap, you have 0 idea about Sony's expectations for the game, and you have 0 evidence to back up your claims. If your 7 million figure is even correct, thats 7 million at nearly full RRP, and is a way better figure than the original on release.

Sony doesnt just look at how many units were sold, they look at overall numbers, these first party games sell consoles......
Merchendise etc are all tied aswell. Please do some research instead of spewing nonsense and misusing cherry picked data for your confirmation bias. Youre the one in the echo chamber.

Didnt say that, I said the fanbase in general is happy with the game by lookiing at fan sites/subreddits. Looking at TLOU subreddit, and twitter etc shows that fans in general are happy with the game.
Ofcourse those with the loudest voices already had an agenda with the 'SJW BULLSHIT' before the release of the game, and were looking to shit on it anyways. Anyone who has played the game [in general], seemed to atleast like it. I dont recall anyone in this sub forum [who has actually played the game] to dislike/hate the game.

Secondly, 7 million copies in less than 6 months is insane. The first came out in 2013, and has been on sale or PS plus or whatever for like the last 6 years....You dont know the numbers or revenue generated by each game. 20 million copies sold has no meaning if there is no revenue or profit data etc. For all you know 7 million could easily eclipse the revenue of the original TLOU.....

A game sells most of its copies in the first week and has a big drop off in the second week? Thats like every game or movie ever....
The biggest movie ever had huge dropoffs aswell [Avenger's Engame]. Thats why first week is always important, since that's when most of the revenue and profits are generated. If youve worked on a product launch or have a little business acumen, you'd know that. People always sprout this shit and dont understand anything.
[Quick source: https://cosmicbook.news/avengers-endgame-suffers-huge-third-weekend-drop-box-office]

Biggest pile of crap, you have 0 idea about Sony's expectations for the game, and you have 0 evidence to back up your claims. If your 7 million figure is even correct, thats 7 million at nearly full RRP, and is a way better figure than the original on release.

Sony doesnt just look at how many units were sold, they look at overall numbers, these first party games sell consoles......
Merchendise etc are all tied aswell. Please do some research instead of spewing nonsense and misusing cherry picked data for your confirmation bias. Youre the one in the echo chamber.
reddit is an echochamber. most of the fanbase I know was highly critical of it

reddit is an echochamber. most of the fanbase I know was highly critical of it
Thats why I mentioned twitter, and here specifically aswell. I cant speak for every fan, but from what I can see after the haters went away.

Most of the people I know loved the game overall.

Thats why I mentioned twitter, and here specifically aswell. I cant speak for every fan, but from what I can see after the haters went away.

Well, that might have more to do with the game kind of fizzling out, and the click bait videos over it being terrible isn't seeing many returns these days. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the game just kind of came and went, and few are talking about it anymore. Not that that is especially unique, but for such a huge anticipated release, the hype for it really seemed to die out rather quickly. Like people just played it once and put it aside. They didn't go crazy for it, like other huge releases of this gen.

From my perspective, anyways. Not saying it's a fact. Seems like it didn't have much staying power.

Well, that might have more to do with the game kind of fizzling out, and the click bait videos over it being terrible isn't seeing many returns these days. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the game just kind of came and went, and few are talking about it anymore. Not that that is especially unique, but for such a huge anticipated release, the hype for it really seemed to die out rather quickly. Like people just played it once and put it aside. They didn't go crazy for it, like other huge releases of this gen.

From my perspective, anyways. Not saying it's a fact. Seems like it didn't have much staying power.
TBH thats every big single player game. You could say that for GOW, RDR2, FF7 remake etc. Singleplayer games or any binge TV show has its time for a few weeks and then onto the next. Its just the state of media right now, we just move on from stuff quickly.

Back