The Last Minute of the Round Determines the Score

MDEmike

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I watched it live without sound and thought Jones did enough in the last minute of rounds to steal them.
There was a round where Alex looked like a body shot hurt him, he was running away with his right hand really low, Round 3.
There was the round with the spinning elbow, Round 4.
Then, Jones landed headkick and uppercut towards the end of Round 5.

I figured they scored it 48-47. BUT, that's just because I know how much the end of the round matters. It was a close fight. Even the first 2 rounds (if I recall) I remember thinking Jones could have stolen one of them. I'm not saying I think Jones won those rounds. They were close. It's 48-47 anyway you cut it, in my book. But, the end of the round is so damned crucial.

I watched it live without sound and thought Jones did enough in the last minute of rounds to steal them.
There was a round where Alex looked like a body shot hurt him, he was running away with his right hand really low, Round 3.
There was the round with the spinning elbow, Round 4.
Then, Jones landed headkick and uppercut towards the end of Round 5.

I figured they scored it 48-47. BUT, that's just because I know how much the end of the round matters. It was a close fight. Even the first 2 rounds (if I recall) I remember thinking Jones could have stolen one of them. I'm not saying I think Jones won those rounds. They were close. It's 48-47 anyway you cut it, in my book. But, the end of the round is so damned crucial.

it shouldn't be that way, but these judges have such short memories, it just ends up that way. very similar to boxing. the reason for terrible decisions in both sports.

I felt Gus clearly won the first round, as you said, I thought Bones did more at the end of round 2 in what was a close round anyway to win that one, Gus won round three, again clearly to me. Until the last 90 seconds, I actually thought Gus was winning round four, but Jones connected with that nasty spinning elbow and dominated the rest of that round. Round five, for the most part, was clearly Jones' round. Round two was the only round possibly in question, although Jones seemed to do more. Great fight anyway you look at it, and I had the sound off most of the fight. Rogan and Goldberg are so hyperbolic it's ridiculous. Too bad Jim Lampley doesn't cover MMA.

huge JJ fan but thought gus snatched it, but so glad when i heard "and still champion"

First round was close. I gave it to gus because of the takedown but it was close

This is exactly what I was thinking. In each of the rounds 2,4 and 5 the rounds were close and Jones just kicked it up a gear towards the end of those rounds to secure the round. The right man won but it was damn close

This is exactly what I was thinking. In each of the rounds 2,4 and 5 the rounds were close and Jones just kicked it up a gear towards the end of those rounds to secure the round. The right man won but it was damn close

The fight man won and the smarter fighter won

Last minute of the round is some kinda fraction i can't even understand..

it shouldn't be that way, but these judges have such short memories, it just ends up that way. very similar to boxing. the reason for terrible decisions in both sports.

Each round is scored like an individual fight. That's how fights work. It doesn't matter if you do well in the beginning if you do badly in the end.

I agree. And even though Gus couldn't quite pull it off, if Jones were to no longer be champion tomorrow, and his era was only comprised of 6 title defenses, nobody would forget the hell that Alex gave him last night. To make a seemingly inhuman fighter seem all too human, when five former champions could not... how is that not a history-defining, breathtaking accomplishment in its own right?

I agree. And even though Gus couldn't quite pull it off, if Jones were to no longer be champion tomorrow, and his era was only comprised of 6 title defenses, nobody would forget the hell that Alex gave him last night. To make a seemingly inhuman fighter seem all too human, when five former champions could not... how is that not a history-defining, breathtaking accomplishment in its own right?

Exactly. I don't think any but the staunchest Jones haters expected anything other than a Jones domination, max a bit of trouble in the first. Gus went out there and proved us all wrong. He is improving at an alarming rate although it will be interesting to see what new approach Jones will bring next time they go around.

These are the type of fights that really define guys careers and that era of the sport. Like Ali Foreman. They also bring in vast new swathes of fans

Just because a more significant piece of offense happened in the final 30 seconds shouldn't mean it should be disregarded. Anderson Silva still beat Chael in UFC 117 even though Chael won like 4.5 rounds.

One of the middle rounds, JJ landed a solid punch to Gus' face at the final few seconds.

Just because a more significant piece of offense happened in the final 30 seconds shouldn't mean it should be disregarded. Anderson Silva still beat Chael in UFC 117 even though Chael won like 4.5 rounds.

One of the middle rounds, JJ landed a solid punch to Gus' face at the final few seconds.

full retard

You can only steal a round in the last minute if the rest of the round was relatively even. Fighters know this, so when an uneventful/even round is going on, they know to turn it on at the end and do something that will sway the mind of the judges.

No clue how the Silva fight has to do with it.

Each round is scored like an individual fight. That's how fights work. It doesn't matter if you do well in the beginning if you do badly in the end.

Indeed. I'm curious how many people that don't agree with this also think that the Pride way of scoring was better. Because that would be more or less a direct contradiction.

No clue how the Silva fight has to do with it.

There is a parallel with how people say Gus was winning most of Round 4, so he won the Round regardless of Jones doing significant offense towards the end of the round that was the closest either guy was to being stopped to Chael dominating Anderson for 4.5 rounds and Anderson won the last few minutes of the final round. It doesn't matter who was leading on points. It matters who did the more significant offense. It's like twenty slaps vs. one solid Hendo H-Bomb KO punch. Who wins? From what I understand, competition BJJ has a defined point value for each move. MMA doesn't have that, but certain offensive moves are clearly worth more than others.

Back